Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reading out loud at the test center

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 36

Reading out loud at the test center [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 07:03
Friends,

I know my test center provides headphones to all the test takers. I tend to read RC and CR out loud when practicing, since i find that it helps me tremendously. Chances are, there won't be many people (if any) at the center when i take it. Of course, if nobody's there, i can read out loud. My question is, are there strict GMAC rules about this? When i say "reading out loud", i don't mean yelling, rather mumbling.

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9462 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Reading out loud at the test center [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 07:08
Expert's post
Interesting question - ( have not encountered this one in the past) I don't think there are any rules that prevent you from doing this but you may get a few mean looks.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Reading out loud at the test center [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 07:10
bb wrote:
Interesting question - ( have not encountered this one in the past) I don't think there are any rules that prevent you from doing this but you may get a few mean looks.

If few mean looks means 20-30+ points, i'll take it! They say it is a dog eat dog world! :o

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Reading out loud at the test center [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
While a low mumble will probably not be noticed by anyone, there is a chance that people will complain to the proctor. In that case, you will probably be warned or maybe even ejected. The latter situation is unlikely, but we cannot rule it out. As long as your mumbles stay low, then you should be okay. Still, try to practice without doing that just to be safe. Be prepared for anything and try to stay flexible during the test.

1 KUDOS received
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 71

Re: Reading out loud at the test center [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
yeah i mumble too. when i got the 550 they didn't say anything and it was a full house. I figured if im paying this kids $250 i ought to be able to hoot & holler & raise hell if i wanted to :-)

Manager
Manager

Re: Reading out loud at the test center [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 16:00
vwjetty wrote:
yeah i mumble too. when i got the 550 they didn't say anything and it was a full house. I figured if im paying this kids $250 i ought to be able to hoot & holler & raise hell if i wanted to :-)

For $250, the better let us sing! :o

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1416 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Reading out loud at the test center [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 17:06
I don't think that the fact that you pay $250 is reason for anyone to sing or shout or whatever. Not sure why, but the attitude is kinda not that great. If you really think about it, for just $250, they're letting you get one component of your B-School Application. It's all relative.

But about your question - I think that it's okay as long as you're not disturbing someone else. :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Reading out loud at the test center [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 18:52
whiplash2411 wrote:
I don't think that the fact that you pay $250 is reason for anyone to sing or shout or whatever. Not sure why, but the attitude is kinda not that great. If you really think about it, for just $250, they're letting you get one component of your B-School Application. It's all relative.

But about your question - I think that it's okay as long as you're not disturbing someone else. :)

Everything is relative, really. On one side, they indeed are letting me get a portion of my application for $250. On the other hand, they make the exam pretty demanding which consumes a lot of time, leaving little time for the rest of application. So, there are few ways to look at GMAT... It is necessary nonetheless.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Reading out loud at the test center [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 12:31
A very interesting question OP. I myself would prefer common courtesy to make sure I do not disturb anyone. That being said, this test is very important, so to each his own.

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 229 [1] , given: 20

Re: Reading out loud at the test center [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 15:19
This post received
KUDOS
Interesting question - what I'd recommend is practicing once or twice with mouthing the words but not actually speaking. You can definitely do that and often it's that process of transferring the words from the screen to your lips that's the real value-add, and not actually hearing yourself say it. Much like writing can help you to do something with what you hear, and therefore better remember it, actually making the movement of verbalizing them is what helps you to better cognitively process them.

I wouldn't assume that you can just speak - it's probably going to be the proctor's call as to whether you're distracting others, and why invite some kind of penalty or unwanted distraction if you don't have to?

Here's the official word from GMAC:

Disruptive behavior in any form will not
be tolerated. The test administrator has sole
discretion in determining what constitutes
disruptive behavior.

I'd plan on being able to mouth the words silently, but anything above that at least invites the proctor to get involved or another examinee to ask for involvement, and I'd imagine that the time it takes to be "scolded", and the anxiety that it creates, would be more detrimental to your test than the practice of making audible noise would be helpful.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Reading out loud at the test center   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2010, 15:19