Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reading skills among high school students in Gotham have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Reading skills among high school students in Gotham have [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 09:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Reading skills among high school students in Gotham have been steadily declining, which can only be the result of overcrowding in the schools.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument expressed above?

(A) The high school system in Gotham suceeds in giving students a good education at considerably less cost than do most systems.

(B) Several cities have found that overcrowding in the schools is not always associated with lower reading scores.

(C) Gotham schools have a greater teacher to student ratio than most other school systems.

(D) Students' reading skills have not declined in other cities where the high schools are just as crowded as those of Gotham.

(E) Schools are not overcrowded in many cities where high school reading scores have declined more than they have in Gotham.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Reading Skills [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 10:30
D is my choice

In B "the schools is not always associated with lower reading scores" ~ which means there is still some chance for a causality between classsize and reading score
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 13:34
i am either getting good at this or beggining to really suck

the author contends that overcrowding is cuasing the reading skills to drop. overcrowding is doing so by have a dterimental effect one that comes to mind is teacher :student ratio. but despite the over crowding the teacher student ratio is really high.. so this weaken his claim

not sure if i am reading into this too much.

the reason i did not pick d is that yes while overcrowding did not reduce skills in other schools so what? it may have at gotham. it doesnt mean it cant it gotham becuase it did not else where... c seems to counter the effect of overcrowding

whats the oa?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 13:43
I'm with E. If it's right, I'll explain a bit later

Best Regards,

Paul

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 17:33
Quote:
Reading skills among high school students in Gotham have been steadily declining, which can only be the result of overcrowding in the schools

This means that there are no reasons other than overcrowding which can explain the reading skills decline.
Something which will weaken the argument will cast some doubt and open the possibility to some reasons other than overcrowding.
A) this could actually strengthen the argument because if costs are less, we could blame this on overcrowding of classes resulting from budget costs.
B) this has the argument backward and cannot be ascerted. For all we know, we are trying to disprove the opposite: that reading skills are affected by overcrowding
C) yes, they may have a greater T/S ratio but what if those other schools have really lower T/S ratios already? Overcrowding could still be the cause of Gotham's low reading skills
D) we're not interested in schools where the reading skills have not declined. Rather, we are interested in instances where reading skills have declined and find if overcrowding is the direct and only cause.
E) eureka. We have an instance in which reading skills have declined but yet, there is no overcrowding. This confirms that there must be some reason other than overcrowding which lowers the reading skills of students in Gotham

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 17:47
2 mins, went from D to E as I was looking at the choices
D is tempting until you realize that you need to disprove the notion that 'only overcrowding results in declining reading scores'
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2004, 18:03
good job on the explanation paul i agree with you. the world ONLY is key here. great ciritical reading
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2004, 09:13
OA is E.

Excellent job Paul, nice explanation. I read the question hastily, and didn't take not of the word only. Only reverses the implication from sufficient to necessary.
  [#permalink] 25 Aug 2004, 09:13