Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 3.62
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 3.62
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Reading Test Advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mcwoodhill wrote:
VeritasPrepDennis wrote:
mcwoodhill wrote:
Very miserably I was crushed down by the reading part. I'm a good reader at some point but definitely a good reader of the gmat reading. The articles--one of it--was very long, tedious and in very bad shape of literature. it read just not enticing at all, like a good article in a magazine, say NYer or a beautiful part of a great novel, say the Hobbits?--its hard but enticing, driving you go through. usually when i close the door of my office, i leave all my work in there, including the power to read such dry, empty articles written only to quibble over **** things

what i read at the test was totally academic--well prepared for that--i took gre first but totally dry--gre reading was much more fun. it read like any bureaucratic paperwork i write and read very day and this feature really disgusted me and crushed me down. i basically felt repulsive and my brain refused to read it. i did all the prep but none of an article read like that. based on the credential agreement, i can tell more in details but believe me, that was kinda the worst article i've ever read in my whole reading life. it was dry, extremely dry, drier even than an excerpt. it was kinda like a steak thrown to you without juicy, seasoning or sauce.

my question is,

how to deal with such awfully written articles--i guess gmat is going to keep this feature to crush more test takers like me whose mental threshold is a bit below bar?

please any advice. I'm now forcing myself to read very fast and intensively at least three such articles per day after work time.

The key to Reading COmp on the GMAT is "how" you read the passage. Understanding that the testmakers do not expect you to know anything about the subject matter pf the passage, you should re-orient the way you approach your reading. Rather than reading for detail, like you would with a White Paper, Memo, article or even novel that you choose to read, on the GMAT, you will want to read to simply get the "geography" of the passage. By that, I mean that you should read for the big picture instead for the details. Focus on what the passage is about, what the author is aying about the subject, how the passage is organized and why the author has written the passage. This will allow you to asnwer the Universal type questions (such as what would be the best title for the passage, what was the author's purpose, etc.) Understanding how the passage is organized is very helpful in allowing you to quickly and efficiently find the answers to the detail questions (such as, according to the passage, ......).
Additionally, try reading at your regualr reading pace but focus on reading at the 30,000 ft level (as opposed to for detail). Reading this way is difficult, but you can train yourself to utilize this method.

thank you dude, really helpful. i guess my failure lies partly in that i took gmat like gre. should assume it's a test rather than a reading

will take points and notes on my pad. i didn't even write a single word at the test center but i wrote a lot of notes, interpretations and structure maps in the office. will apply the technique to the test so i won't go back to the computer again and again.

very appreciative.

mcwoodhill -

Glad my advice helped. It sounds weird, but the best way to help "train" yourself to read in this manner is to select reading passages on subjects you nothing about and read them after a long hard day. Your tendency will be to revert to your normal reading method when tired, so doing this after working or a long day of studying is good practice. Also, spend 30 seconds or so after reading a passage to jot down your thoughts on the scope of the passage, what the author is saying in the passage, how it is organized and the purpose of the passage.

GOod luck and geel free to ask any further questions as you move forward.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepDennis wrote:

GOod luck and geel free to ask any further questions as you move forward.

thanks again.

ps: it's a myth that gmat has only 1, rarely 2 long articles:

I had 3

first one was of 3 paragraphs, very long, like four paragraphs, few lines blow the screen n i did have to roll down the mouse

then the one crushed me down:

it was one very long paragraph but the context even longer than the first--who the **** does this!!!!!!!!!!!! it was literally unreadable

all my screen was full of words

and the questions were very detail oriented, so i collapsed

after few c's, the third seemed easier, still 3 paragraphs but just few lines off the screen. and the sentence structures go down. the first and second, especially second, sentences were written in horrible way long tedious full of qualifications, explanations blablabla.

after more c's, the final one was short indeed:

in short, verbal part is way more difficult than you can experience from any prep or mock cat's--most of them definitely exaggerate the difficulty of quant--those questions at test center are quite the same at the prep level. questions are trickier though. most of the shortcuts making you finish manhattan math in time won't be necessary at all.

but the difficulty of the verbal is way underestimated. it's very hard nut to crack: very unfriendly test interlace--everything is on screen you can't scratch/underline/highlight what you want, articles are very dry and LONG--really not 3 short 1 long but 3 LONG 1 short, questions are very details oriented, not many raised about the big map thing you can just screw over by some simple reading, 211f-structure and key words

with that said, best luck and hope everyone--sure myself included--learn from my failure:

Verb is hard, harder than Quant, like GRE. don't underestimate or you'll suffer
GMAT Club Bot