Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:52

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Real GMAT score worse than GMATPREP score- Advice needed.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Real GMAT score worse than GMATPREP score- Advice needed. [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 17:24
Two weeks ago, without studying, I took the GMATPrep Test #1 and got a 610 36Q 38V.

After studying the Kaplan Math Workbook I took the GMATPrep Test #2 and got a 690 45Q 38V. I then retook test #1 Quant section only and got a 43Q.

Today I took the real GMAT and "earned" a 590 38Q 33V. I'm very disappointed and will take the test again in one month. In all fairness I have a bad cold today, but I was still able to concentrate and didn't feel that it was holding me back.

Are GMATPrep tests the best indicators of future performance? What suggestions do you have to get me in the 680-710 range by November?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 06:13
Here are my two cents.

It seems like V is your strength, so practice more on your Q. If you can get your Q over 45 then you will have a good chance of getting 700+ provided that you also perform well on V. There are a lot of good materials for math out there... such as MGMAT, Kaplan, and this forum. So if I were you I would try to improve on my math and try to keep my V level the same or to improve.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 16:33
Thank you for your response. That is my plan to improve my quant; however, both my Q and V dropped significantly on test day. Is this normal or is it my cold? How good is GMATPrep?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 06:02
Considering that you only prepared for 2 weeks, 590 ain't bad! However, it may just be that you needed more time to prepare. For me, the GMATPrep scores were pretty indicative of my actual score (GMATPrep #1: 600; GMATPrep #2: 640; GMAT: 620 35Q 40V).

It seemed to me that half the battle was just getting into the right mindset to tackle the problems. The CR and DS especially are different types of questions that I felt took a little while to get used to. I would think that if you really hit it hard in the next month, your score should really improve.

Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 06:19
I think your score jumping all over the place indicates some inconsistency in your test taking. I would definitely concentrate on improving your quant. But don't forget about your verbal. It looks like you can study a little more and break the 40v mark easily.

It's easy to improve on your weakness b/c there's only one way to go. But it might actually be easier to improve your strength, just b/c it comes so naturally to you.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 16:54
ishcabibble wrote:
Considering that you only prepared for 2 weeks, 590 ain't bad! However, it may just be that you needed more time to prepare. For me, the GMATPrep scores were pretty indicative of my actual score (GMATPrep #1: 600; GMATPrep #2: 640; GMAT: 620 35Q 40V).

It seemed to me that half the battle was just getting into the right mindset to tackle the problems. The CR and DS especially are different types of questions that I felt took a little while to get used to. I would think that if you really hit it hard in the next month, your score should really improve.

Good luck!

Thank you for your encouragement. I'm glad to hear that your actual score was near your GMATPrep scores. I really think my cold/flu really fogged up my ability to answer the more subtle questions; I found myself less certain of my answers that I was in practice. More studying will certainly help improve my score as well. I have forgotten many of the basic concept in the 3R's.

kidderek wrote:
I think your score jumping all over the place indicates some inconsistency in your test taking. I would definitely concentrate on improving your quant. But don't forget about your verbal. It looks like you can study a little more and break the 40v mark easily.

It's easy to improve on your weakness b/c there's only one way to go. But it might actually be easier to improve your strength, just b/c it comes so naturally to you.

Excellent advice. The Gallup Institute has the same opinion; it is easier to strengthen your strengths than to improve a weakness. I'll certainly focus on both, at onetime I was strong in both areas. It has been along time since I studied anything outside the CFA curriculum.

Anyone else experience a similar divergence in their real vs. practice exams?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Real GMAT score worse than GMATPREP score- Advice needed [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 17:13
thrlskr wrote:
Two weeks ago, without studying, I took the GMATPrep Test #1 and got a 610 36Q 38V.

After studying the Kaplan Math Workbook I took the GMATPrep Test #2 and got a 690 45Q 38V. I then retook test #1 Quant section only and got a 43Q.

Today I took the real GMAT and "earned" a 590 38Q 33V. I'm very disappointed and will take the test again in one month. In all fairness I have a bad cold today, but I was still able to concentrate and didn't feel that it was holding me back.

Are GMATPrep tests the best indicators of future performance? What suggestions do you have to get me in the 680-710 range by November?

my first piece of advice:

throw out the kraplan. buy all three OG's and go through them. study in 2 1/2 hour sessions... 75 minutes to V, 75 minutes to Q. do 37/41 problems scattered througout the OG's to get a mix of difficulty levels. every two weeks or so redo every problem you got wrong...if you got a 610 w/o any serious studying you can totally get a 700.

if you need help with concepts, mgmat math books are top notch... although i think their treatment of combinatorics is lacking and i remember they had some crappy strategy of "target numbers" for some question type. other than they they are great (but expensive) and they cover everything you will need to know
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 17:30
I have the main OG and will look into the other guides. I need to take my second test by mid-November, so time is tight.

Why don't you like the Kaplan Materials? I like the Schweser materials (A Kaplan company) for the CFA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 18:05
thrlskr wrote:
I have the main OG and will look into the other guides. I need to take my second test by mid-November, so time is tight.

Why don't you like the Kaplan Materials? I like the Schweser materials (A Kaplan company) for the CFA.

I worked for Kaplan. Their materials focused too much on educated guesses and bullshit strategies, which are not going to get you a 700.

also, there were some mistakes I found in their quant materials. most students wouldn't even notice them because they were 'conceptual' mistakes, however if you are a naturally logical person they would drive you nuts. i'd say more but i don't want kaplan to sue me for violating my nondisclosure agreement.

the verbal section was pisspoor IMHO. Reading comp and CR questions just weren't good representations at all. I had a 95+% hit rate in the OG's
but I would get A LOT of kraplan questions wrong because of faulty logic or poor construction.

as far as time goes, you need to make sacrifices if you want to score well.
you can finish the other two guides in a week if need be. you can skip the first third and focus on the last two thirds since they are in order of difficulty.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 18:11
Thank you. I cannot afford to score below a 670 on my next attempt. In fact, a 700 would be infinitely better. I will pick up the other two guides tomorrow. I have no doubt that I can score 700+; however, I can only improve so much in such little time.
  [#permalink] 04 Oct 2007, 18:11