Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Real Gmat sounds a lot harder than Practice Tests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Real Gmat sounds a lot harder than Practice Tests [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2004, 12:18
Hi,

I've unemployed so and I've been studying for the GMAT for the last 2.5 months (6 hours a day)and i thought i was ready for the test until i read about some of the fellow posters' experiences here. It sounds like the practice tests may not be a very good indicators of your REAL test scores. I've done from cover to cover 3 GMAT books and i've never ran across permutations/combination nor hard stat questions so i'm getting really scared now. I have plenty of time to take the test so time is not an issue but i ONLY want to take the test once so i must score high on it.

i've done the ARCO-Thompson GMAT CAT 2003 book
test 1 -670
test2 - 710
test3-700
test4-740
test5-750

powerprep ets
test1-700 (q49/v35)
test2-700 (q49/v36)

i am going to study more because i'm shooting for 740 but i think it is going to be a LOT harder than i think possible.

has another here used the ARCO-thompson books or the barron book. Arco is too easy and barron is rather hard and i don't agree with some of the answers. anybody used these books before???

thanks,
quedo

p.s. i have the greatest respect for all the non-native english speakers doing well in the verbal part of the GMAT. I'm a native speaker and i find it so confusing and convuluted so if you're a non-native speaker taking this test then i have the greates respect for you all.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2004, 12:34
I would say that PP is easier than the real thing depending on whether you studied the official guide. If you had 700 in PP and did not go over the official guide, then it is a reliable score. The only thing is that no test preps really cover Perm/Comb and Prob. questions. I agree that if you want >740, in the 46+Q, you will get a few of those question types.

Barron was a waste of money to me. I tried their CAT and it was not only fraught with errors but full of glitches. IMO, there are much better test prep material. As fas as Arco is concerned, I only did their paper test and their scoring algorithm is much more lenient than the Kaplan/PR score. If their CAT is same, then you should review your score downward. I believe PR CAT to be a quite reliable predictor of your actual score.

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 16 Apr 2004, 12:34