Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Realistic profile eval

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas '16 (WL)
GPA: 3.75
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Realistic profile eval [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 16:31
I took the GMAT this morning and was hoping for an honest profile eval. Be as harsh as you need to be as I know I need to write the strongest application possible to reach my goals.
Profile:
I'm a 25 year old white male (I see everyone including race/gender so I figured I would too)
GPA: 2.8 (biochem undergrad, with some significant family setbacks entering undergrad) but retook 2 classes post undergrad to get into grad school and got the highest grades in both courses. 3.6 grad gpa at a top 10 graduate program in my area
GMAT: 640 (already signed up to re-take in a month since my practice scores were ~700)
Work Experience: 1 year at a small start up in the bay area, CA (1st employee hired to help establish the company and begin preliminary work). I was the only person without an MD or PhD in the company but was still involved in pitches to venture capital firms and every major business decision/lab protocol design as I was the only person in the company with my area of expertise. Went back to grad school in biochem and my graduate education includes research in a large lab (about 25 people) where I have come to be known as a large contributor to multiple large projects and have had the opportunity to mentor several others. I have several pieces of published work going into my second year, established collaborations outside of our lab, and have developed a new technique that is now a large focus of our lab. I was one of only 3 people to publish in their first year in our lab's 20+ years of production. I am thinking of "mastering out" of my PhD program to pursue an MBA because I eventually wish to start my own company and dont see a PhD in my field getting me to where I want to go.

My dream school (for many reasons) is UC Berkeley's Haas full time MBA. Do I have any shot? What GMAT do I need to obtain in order to be a, hopefully, serious candidate? If I don't seem to have a legitimate shot at Haas, what programs could I strive for?

Any/all help, advice, personal stories would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you to anyone that offers insight!

Best,
iphygrad
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 2

Re: Realistic profile eval [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 04:43
This post received
KUDOS
Your GPA is below average, and current GMAT score of 640 won't be enough to make up for it. Though you have valid reasons for your low GPA, and you proved yourself in the repeat courses, still 700+ score would significantly increase your chances. You have notable achievements in research which is going to be a plus point for your application.
Your work experience is on the lower side. Even though there is no set criteria for work-ex, most schools require the students to have at least 3 years of experience. The quality of your experience at the start-up seems to be good.
You have not mentioned anything about extracurricular activities. They are quite important in application.
If I were you I would wait for two more years, and have quality work experience and extracurricular activities on my application. This would help you in writing stellar application essays. You should also decide on your post MBA goal, and how an MBA fits into your career to help you achieve that goal.

Good Luck!
www.InterviewBay.com
Re: Realistic profile eval   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2013, 04:43