Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Realistic score increase after 1st practice test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Realistic score increase after 1st practice test [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 11:34
I am 30yrs old and haven't taken any type of test in about 10 years. Haven't taken any math/calculus class or any class at all for that matter in 10 years. I didn't even know what kind of test the GMAT was, and I had no idea it was a computer-adaptive test that gave you progressively easier/harder questions based on how you answered the previous questions.

Anyway, all of that said, I took the Manhattan practice test the other day and scored a 560. That is the 51st percentile, and both quantitative and verbal were almost identical in scoring. This literally not knowing a thing about what I was getting into beforehand. I'm just curious what sort of improvement I should expect with rigorous studying/classes? I know that is hard to answer, but I have seen some people say about 60 points is the average if you have the best preparation for the test. Although I wonder if 60 points is coming from a baseline where people weren't quite as clueless as me when they took their first practice exam.

Reason I'm asking is because I'd like (wouldn't we all) to feel confident I could score 700. If 60 points is stretching it from my 560 score, I know 700 would be very unlikely.

Thoughts?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2229

Kudos [?]: 8333 [0], given: 3643

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Realistic score increase after 1st practice test [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 11:37
Expert's post
I was not 30 when I took my first practice test, so the age may play a factor here but was much better prepared than you. I scored 540.
4 months later I walked out of a test center with 750.
it is possible but there are factors in the way such as work load, family, distractions, and well.... age - being on your side of the 30's divider, I can see how it gets tougher and tougher to remember things.

So, yes, you can do it if you have time.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Science (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Re: Realistic score increase after 1st practice test [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 11:40
I assume that the Manhattan test you are talking about was timed and given in exam conditions. With the background that you have mentioned and the plans that you have for rigorous studying I am very sure you will easily score well above 700. Dont bother about that 60 point improvement thing, its too generalized and we are all different. If you really study hard I dont see any reason why you wont score more than 700. I will suggest you to target 770. You can do it. All the best.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Realistic score increase after 1st practice test [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 11:56
I also forgot to mention that I did not write any work out while I took the test, and did everything in my head. For some reason I thought since it was a computer test, that you wouldn't be allowed to write your work out when it came time to take the actual exam. Is that untrue?

And yes, it was the timed version of the Manhattan test exam.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Science (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Re: Realistic score increase after 1st practice test [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 12:08
kiteman wrote:
I also forgot to mention that I did not write any work out while I took the test, and did everything in my head. For some reason I thought since it was a computer test, that you wouldn't be allowed to write your work out when it came time to take the actual exam. Is that untrue?

And yes, it was the timed version of the Manhattan test exam.

Dude, this is awesome. One day all of a sudden after years of abstinence you come out and give a GMAT test, that too without any calculation on paper and score 560 !! Go ahead and target 770. Yes you can.

And read this too http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/scratch-paper-on-the-gmat/
Re: Realistic score increase after 1st practice test   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2013, 12:08