Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Realistically, what are my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Realistically, what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 20:29
I have recently looked into the actual statistics and facts surrounding MBA applicants since my goal is to eventually attend B-School. My only personal contention in opposition to this is that I have seen a lot of prestigious B-School applicant information being posted online. From the B-School students that I've read information from, everyone seems to be working at a "top firm", or a "private investment firm" or in the medical industry or oil industry. They all also seem to have GPA's in excess of 3.3. While I am not completely inferior to my other college graduates, it seems like these B-School applicants are the crème de la crème of college graduates. Since I am fairly new in this information gathering process, I figure that maybe I am facing some sort of selection bias of people who actively talk about their prestigious resume online, since they have a resume to be proud about, and those with average applications refrain from much of the discussion. Is this true of all applicants who get accepted into top B-Schools?
I graduated from the University of California, Santa Barbara with a degree in political science. I also graduated from the honors program at my community college before attending UCSB. My cumulative GPA is about 2.9. My extracurriculars in college ranged from creating a Political Science club to be a chairman of the Republican Club. I am also currently active in my local Republican Central Committee and I ran for office earlier this year and I am only 24 years old. I am also working on starting a jewelry business for my grandmother. My professional work experience is mainly retail. I have worked for the retail chain, Sunglass Hut. I currently work as a Enterprise Rent-A-Car management trainee. I have about 3 years work experience and I don't plan on applying for B-School for another 2 years. I have my fair share of consulting experience for difference collegiate organizations. That is where I find my heart being driven towards. Since I had a degree in political science, I wasn't given a lot of options in the work force (thank you liberal arts degree).
I am a highly motivated and driven worker. I just worry that my lack of prestigious work experience will hinder me in the application process.
Realistically, what are my chances?   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2012, 20:29