Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

really confused...

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

really confused... [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2007, 01:28
hi paul/others:

i've been really trying to figure this one out since this afternoon... and it's keeping me awake...

stats 29m/740 (1 attempt)/3.3 cornell engineering/6yr high tech/1yr built own company

i was ecstatic to see an acceptance at wharton on thursday : thanks gmat-club for the help along the way! i was then shocked and speechless to find a ding from cornell today. my engineering undergrad is from cornell, and i even took a course offered by johnson to engineering undergrads.

i applied to cornell, harvard, mit, stanford & wharton. i told the interviewer this in the interview when asked and also had very targeted, very honest reasons for johnson, particularly around their very well targeted E&P immersion. the interviewer seemed impressed - i personally think the cornell interview was my best one. i really enjoyed my time there undergrad and do not view johnson as a "safety school" by any means; tried to make both these points clear. i would actually put johnson among the top of my list here given the E&P and its fit for my long term goals of building a high-tech startup.

so, i'm at a loss as to what short circuited here.

as an alumus, i am feeling a really sharp sting on this one. i understand the marticulation % concerns but this was not even a waitlist; it was a flat ding.

this sounds like a rant i know but i'm just looking for some insight on this. i'm really confused and wondering on some thoughts on what may have happened here.

thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: really confused... [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2007, 03:58
k-rag wrote:
hi paul/others:

i've been really trying to figure this one out since this afternoon... and it's keeping me awake...

stats 29m/740 (1 attempt)/3.3 cornell engineering/6yr high tech/1yr built own company

i was ecstatic to see an acceptance at wharton on thursday : thanks gmat-club for the help along the way! i was then shocked and speechless to find a ding from cornell today. my engineering undergrad is from cornell, and i even took a course offered by johnson to engineering undergrads.

i applied to cornell, harvard, mit, stanford & wharton. i told the interviewer this in the interview when asked and also had very targeted, very honest reasons for johnson, particularly around their very well targeted E&P immersion. the interviewer seemed impressed - i personally think the cornell interview was my best one. i really enjoyed my time there undergrad and do not view johnson as a "safety school" by any means; tried to make both these points clear. i would actually put johnson among the top of my list here given the E&P and its fit for my long term goals of building a high-tech startup.

so, i'm at a loss as to what short circuited here.

as an alumus, i am feeling a really sharp sting on this one. i understand the marticulation % concerns but this was not even a waitlist; it was a flat ding.

this sounds like a rant i know but i'm just looking for some insight on this. i'm really confused and wondering on some thoughts on what may have happened here.

thanks!


I am not an expert but with my limited knowledge will try to address the question. Some schools not only assess the candidates in an aboslute sense but also try to analyze whether you would actually join the Program if given an offer. They do this to improve their YIELD rate in the school rankings. [If you look at the interview questionnaire that schools send to alumni - one such questionnaire is included in Mauntauk's book - you will see that they specifically ask the interviewer whether the candidate will really admit if granted the offer!]

So Cornell might have realized that you have a very good chance at other better schools and might have DINGED you for that.

Saying that you should not be concerned abt Cornell - you have an acceptance from WHARTON! Congratulations!
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1652
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: really confused... [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2007, 16:19
sm176811 wrote:
k-rag wrote:
hi paul/others:

i've been really trying to figure this one out since this afternoon... and it's keeping me awake...

stats 29m/740 (1 attempt)/3.3 cornell engineering/6yr high tech/1yr built own company

i was ecstatic to see an acceptance at wharton on thursday : thanks gmat-club for the help along the way! i was then shocked and speechless to find a ding from cornell today. my engineering undergrad is from cornell, and i even took a course offered by johnson to engineering undergrads.

i applied to cornell, harvard, mit, stanford & wharton. i told the interviewer this in the interview when asked and also had very targeted, very honest reasons for johnson, particularly around their very well targeted E&P immersion. the interviewer seemed impressed - i personally think the cornell interview was my best one. i really enjoyed my time there undergrad and do not view johnson as a "safety school" by any means; tried to make both these points clear. i would actually put johnson among the top of my list here given the E&P and its fit for my long term goals of building a high-tech startup.

so, i'm at a loss as to what short circuited here.

as an alumus, i am feeling a really sharp sting on this one. i understand the marticulation % concerns but this was not even a waitlist; it was a flat ding.

this sounds like a rant i know but i'm just looking for some insight on this. i'm really confused and wondering on some thoughts on what may have happened here.

thanks!


I am not an expert but with my limited knowledge will try to address the question. Some schools not only assess the candidates in an aboslute sense but also try to analyze whether you would actually join the Program if given an offer. They do this to improve their YIELD rate in the school rankings. [If you look at the interview questionnaire that schools send to alumni - one such questionnaire is included in Mauntauk's book - you will see that they specifically ask the interviewer whether the candidate will really admit if granted the offer!]

So Cornell might have realized that you have a very good chance at other better schools and might have DINGED you for that.

Saying that you should not be concerned abt Cornell - you have an acceptance from WHARTON! Congratulations!


k-rag,

I tend to agree with SM176811. If your profile was strong enough to get a Wharton admit then presumably there are no red flags that would explain Cornell's ding -- other than the yield factor. The only other thing I can think of is maybe they are trying to diversify themselves away from too many Cornell alums? I.e., maybe they've already admitted a fair number of Cornell alums this year and want to keep a lid on it. Yield seems like the best explanation.

Congrats on Wharton.
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2007, 12:23
paul & sm:

thanks, i was really hoping this was the case. i'm just a little bit confused about alumni dings from the "business" perspective for the school.

in any case, thanks for the clarification. got admit to mit as well, so the cornell ding is starting to sting less.

thanks!
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1652
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 11:24
k-rag wrote:
paul & sm:

thanks, i was really hoping this was the case. i'm just a little bit confused about alumni dings from the "business" perspective for the school.

in any case, thanks for the clarification. got admit to mit as well, so the cornell ding is starting to sting less.

thanks!


You're welcome and best of luck wherever you decide to go.
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Really Confused between Dangling Modifier and Passive Voice MKS 1 21 Mar 2014, 12:54
Really confused about the selection of 5 schools samarpitarya 0 10 Dec 2012, 02:34
I am really confused with IT as pronoun and IT as a BukrsGmat 1 23 Apr 2012, 19:24
Confused about CAT tests / really need advice DDW 3 08 Jan 2012, 04:12
Okay, I am really confused with when it's okay to use the trulyblessed 4 14 Sep 2005, 00:57
Display posts from previous: Sort by

really confused...

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.