Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Really Confused between Dangling Modifier and Passive Voice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 42

Really Confused between Dangling Modifier and Passive Voice [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 12:54
Which is/are correct ?
A)Surgery was performed using latest technology.
B) Using latest technology. Surgery was performed.

If I look from Dangling Modifier view - Both are wrong, because the one (unnamed Surgeon) using the latest technology is Not mentioned
Furthermore, If I look from Passive voice view - Both are correct, because the one (unnamed Surgeon) using the latest technology is Not important.

One more such example -
C) During the operation, new blood vessels are/were inserted around blockages.

How to deal with such cases ?
I am sorry If I raised anyone's hope but I am still confused on this one ;)
Over to Experts !!

Thanks in advance :)

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 220

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 5

Re: Really Confused between Dangling Modifier and Passive Voice [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 11:24
Expert's post
Dangling modifiers are somewhat nuanced. To have a clearly dangling modifier, the modifier portion needs to clearly imply the action of an unnamed subject but the sentence itself does not mention that subject.

For example:
Arriving late for work, a meeting was missed.

In this case, some unnamed person seems to have arrived late for work and we would expect that person to be named directly after the modifying phrase, but instead the sentence implies that a meeting somehow arrived late?

The fix is simple - include the unnamed subject of the modifier:
Arriving late for work, I missed the meeting.

Now, you are absolutely correct that things get a bit muddy when we use the passive voice because the unnamed subject of the modifier would not appear after the modifier in passive voice. The question about whether you have a dangling modifier with passive voice is dependent upon the structure of the modifier itself - does it clearly imply an unnamed subject? In your examples about surgery performance using the latest technology, the phrase "using the latest technology" doesn't clearly imply a person. It could simply be a generalization about the type of surgery and how it now employs the latest technology. Both your examples are fine from a dangling modifier and passive voice standpoint.

Here is a variation of your surgery example that does imply an unnamed subject and therefore includes a dangling modifier:
Using both a computer display and x-ray images, a surgery was performed.

In the example above, we get the clear impression of a surgeon using the computer display and x-ray images, but the sentence itself (written in passive voice) does not name the surgeon. This is a dangling modifier.

In your last example, we can see that the modifier does not clearly imply an unnamed subject and therefore does not include a dangling modifier.

I hope that helps!
KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Really Confused between Dangling Modifier and Passive Voice   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2014, 11:24