Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Really Disappointed 630(Q50 V25)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [1] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Really Disappointed 630(Q50 V25) [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 22:24
This post received
KUDOS
I gave the GMAT yesterday and scored 630 (Q50 V25) , I could not believe it when I saw the score , Verbal has been my nemesis for every competitive exam that I have ever written (GRE , CAT etc). Verbal in GMAT was level higher than what I have usually seen in my practice tests, there were very few straight questions may 5-8 , other than that I only saw questions which required lot of thinking. Here is the rough split of the questions which I can remember :

Verbal :
4RC's - 4 questions (3) and 3 questions (1)
CRs - although I did not get any bold face questions but I got at least 2-3 para completions. The other CR questions were very difficult to comprehend and required at least 2 readings.
SC - whosover has told me that its all about logic in SC has been partially right. I saw at least 3-4 questions which I could not comprehend at all.

Quant :

I do remember that I skipped at least 2-3 questions , but I solved i think some 4-5 really nasty questions at a stretch reinforcing the fact that the number of questions you get correct does not decide your score. My suggestion to everyone who wants to score high in Quant is take GMATClub tests, I owe these guys a big time unfortunately GMATClub doesnt have something substantial for Verbal. But GMATclub quant tests are simply the best tests for Quant. I did around 15 of these and used to get around 7-8 wrong in each test. Also for quant if you see you are being stretched in the area you are not comfortable with please leave the question. I had decided before the exam that if I get a probability question and If I am not able to solve it in 2-3 mins i'll leave the question.

Guys whiplash , bb and fluke please help me out so that I can at least reach a score of 710-720. I would need to invest majority of my time solving verbal difficult level questions and get the concepts right straight away. Do you guys suggest taking some crash course in Verbal and If you are aware of any such course please let me know. I am not in position to put my debrief for Verbal as I have not scored very well in that section , however here are my test scores:

MGMAT1 640(Q45 V29)
MGMAT2 650(V46 V29)
GMATprep1 650(Q48 V
MGMAT3 680(Q47 V34)
MGMAT4 710 (Q47 V37)
GMATprep2 710 (Q50 v35)

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Really Disappointed 630(Q50 V25) [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 12:43
630 is low but some of your previous scores are very close to your final score. If I remember correctly skipping questions hurts you more than answering them incorrectly. Prepare strategically. You need to know where you are making your mistakes. It is easier said than done. Take some time out and understand your weak areas. It might help if you attend a verbal course. There are many courses that you can take online as well. Kaplan has some verbal specific book. Also, don't lose any questions on quant if that is your strong area. Good luck!

http://www.interviewbay.com
- Get ready for the interview

crackHSW wrote:
I gave the GMAT yesterday and scored 630 (Q50 V25) , I could not believe it when I saw the score , Verbal has been my nemesis for every competitive exam that I have ever written (GRE , CAT etc). Verbal in GMAT was level higher than what I have usually seen in my practice tests, there were very few straight questions may 5-8 , other than that I only saw questions which required lot of thinking. Here is the rough split of the questions which I can remember :

Verbal :
4RC's - 4 questions (3) and 3 questions (1)
CRs - although I did not get any bold face questions but I got at least 2-3 para completions. The other CR questions were very difficult to comprehend and required at least 2 readings.
SC - whosover has told me that its all about logic in SC has been partially right. I saw at least 3-4 questions which I could not comprehend at all.

Quant :

I do remember that I skipped at least 2-3 questions , but I solved i think some 4-5 really nasty questions at a stretch reinforcing the fact that the number of questions you get correct does not decide your score. My suggestion to everyone who wants to score high in Quant is take GMATClub tests, I owe these guys a big time unfortunately GMATClub doesnt have something substantial for Verbal. But GMATclub quant tests are simply the best tests for Quant. I did around 15 of these and used to get around 7-8 wrong in each test. Also for quant if you see you are being stretched in the area you are not comfortable with please leave the question. I had decided before the exam that if I get a probability question and If I am not able to solve it in 2-3 mins i'll leave the question.

Guys whiplash , bb and fluke please help me out so that I can at least reach a score of 710-720. I would need to invest majority of my time solving verbal difficult level questions and get the concepts right straight away. Do you guys suggest taking some crash course in Verbal and If you are aware of any such course please let me know. I am not in position to put my debrief for Verbal as I have not scored very well in that section , however here are my test scores:

MGMAT1 640(Q45 V29)
MGMAT2 650(V46 V29)
GMATprep1 650(Q48 V
MGMAT3 680(Q47 V34)
MGMAT4 710 (Q47 V37)
GMATprep2 710 (Q50 v35)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Really Disappointed 630(Q50 V25) [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 12:51
what all books have you used ?

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Really Disappointed 630(Q50 V25) [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 05:45
I used the following books :

Verbal:

1)SC : Manhattan SC and Aristotle Grail SC, OG11 , OG12 Verbal Guide Sc100 series some 200 questions
2)CR : Powerscore SC and did practice from OG11 , OG12 and Verbal Guide
3)RCs: Did OG11 , OG12 and Verbal guide and RC99.

I however feel that OG material is only good for 650-700 level beyond that one needs to go for either LSAT question or some series like Verbal 700-800. There is not enough material available in market for above 700 level questions in Verbal

Quant :

I only did 15 GMATclub tests.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Consortium (S)
GMAT Date: 09-19-2011
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: Really Disappointed 630(Q50 V25) [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 07:19
It's too bad we don't live closer as we could trade lessons. I'm excellent at GMAT verbal 92% and 6.0 AWA. But working hard at getting the math thing up. I think one of the things that makes me very good verbally is the fact that I read a lot. I think beyond just rote practice for GMAT questions one must understand the language at a more foundational level. Bb makes some great recommendation for books to read, I'd highly suggest taking that route in addition to your studies. That way you'll get a feel for the language in context.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Really Disappointed 630(Q50 V25) [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 09:55
Very well said BEnergy.
CrackHSW, I would also suggest you to read a lot rather than just doing prep. material. When you start reading you become very comfortable with the language.

You have an awesome Maths score and you can easily raise your verbal score by perseverance.

I would say, read, read and read.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Really Disappointed 630(Q50 V25) [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 18:43
Good luck next time, don't give up.
Re: Really Disappointed 630(Q50 V25)   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2011, 18:43