Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1025 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Marketing
 Q44  V19 GMAT 2: 0  Q0  V0 GMAT 3: 0  Q0  V0
GPA: 2.88
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink]
I have never really heard of people switching between business schools after a "semester" because most business schools will have a curriculum that they follow (2 years is barely any time to make such drastic changes). If I were you I'd just focus my energy on retaking the GMAT than figuring out alternatives to avoid it. But ultimately, upto you!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
fatihaysu wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:
Okay, first off - NO ONE can define if a school is "good" or "bad" for you and "average" by itself is a very relative term. To be honest with you, I hadn't even heard of UTEP until now, but that might just be because I am ignorant. It's not in the top 50 schools, and just because its good for Hispanics doesn't qualify ANYTHING about it. As to what the employer will think, you never know. If you have a degree from a no-name university from a relatively unknown part of the world with a terrible GPA, then yes, definitely, having a US MBA will put you over other people who come from your background. But if you compare that to a person who has a degree from Texas A&M or UT Austin, then no, it doesn't give you any edge whatsoever.

IMO, just because you get into a school doesn't mean you should take it. The rest is up to you to decide.

I agree with you buddy. Although that was a wrong question, you already answered my question by saying you have never heard of UT El PASO(UTEP). I decided to hold my application until next Monday. i have an appointment with MBA director of UT el paso on monday. I will ask her about changing school after first semester..I can put effort on my GPA in UT el paso in first term and change to UT austin. I dont know about policy for that so i will ask all on monday. Maybe it is better than re-take gmat. I am not sure.

Thanks

Why would you talk to the director about changing schools? Do you expect to find support or positive feedback from the director?

You won't be able to transfer to UT-Austin.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry sir but how you can be certain like that....I have talked with vise-president of MBA program on the phone. He told me that if I am ok with losing time, i can change my school.

Everything is on the air,it will be clear on monday i guess...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
fatihaysu wrote:
Sorry sir but how you can be certain like that....I have talked with vise-president of MBA program on the phone. He told me that if I am ok with losing time, i can change my school.

Everything is on the air,it will be clear on monday i guess...

Well of course you can change schools. Nobody can stop you from changing schools. The problem will be that other schools will question your motives.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
My business will be my reason... I hope it will work we will see

thanks
SVP
SVP
Send PM
To my knowledge there's no transfer system within business schools and if you leave UTEP for McCombs after your first year, it's practically a waste of a year. A better approach would be to retake the GMAT and apply to Austin straight.

To be honest, it seems like youre running from the GMAT and while the test isn't any indicator of potential to succeed, you need to understand that it's very unlikely, even after your first year at UTEP, that any top tier school will accept you without a decent GMAT.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools:Lot's that I shall most likely not get into
GMAT 2: 720
WE 1: Strategy Consulting
WE 2: corp finance
WE 3: Marketing
Send PM
Honestly, a school is only as good or bad as what you want to do with the education / what you need it for!
From this thread, it seems to be that you are most keen on joining right away and getting a "US" education; in which case if that is ALL YOU want, it is fine; but if you tell people "I'm from UTEP MBA", with the exception of 100 km all directions of El Paso, the reputation might not be very strong - e.g. Someone at BP in Texas or Doha is not going to say " wow you went to UTEP" that reaction is more likely for Texas A&M, Texas Austin or any other school with a stronger emphasis on MBA program.

With respect to transferring, it is honestly not worth the effort to try since it is most unlikely to work - I'm not saying no, but I went to UT for undergrad and I hardly ever heard of a transfer in the MBA school. If it does happen, it might be for very specific personal reasons (say your family had to move to Austin and you HAD to live with them and you explain this to the UT admissions AFTER showing them you are good enough to get in.

Overall advice, to line up with what whiplash2411 said, think about whether you can take GMAT again and do better - it would significantly improve your chances.

And yep - my quick and dirty definition of Hispanic by language is not accurate, sorry! Hispanic essentially encompasses a definition of descent from one of the Spanish speaking countries (US Census says you can be of any ETHNICITY but if you speak Spanish or family speaks spanish, you are of Hispanic descent)

Good luck!

vannbj wrote:
fatihaysu wrote:
Sir can i ask direct question to you?

I am not from USA so i really dont know reputation about UTEP.

IS UTEP GOOD SCHOOL? Not low-level?

That's a subjective question. I wonder what his subjective answer will be. Let's see...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts