Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 17:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 23:23
Hey guyz

Let me tell you who i am....

I am an Geology Engineer who works in our family business at business part.www.aysuinsaat.com. I have been studying for 6 month some of guyz maybe remember me here. My Full-length practice test average was 620 however i got 530 in real exam. Dont ask me why cuz i dont know either. Right after Gmat i came to USA to get a course and registered to knewton,havent started yet. An opportunity popped up in el paso,tx and i have created a business,www.aysullc.com, sorry it is not ready yet.

My purpose was getting a good GMAT score and register a MBA program,in top 50. I want to work for SHELL or BP and my prof. aim is being MIDDLE EASTERN REGION MANAGER.

Today i was passing by UTEP. I dont know why i just stopped and found myself in MBA director office. We had conversation and she told me that they will be happy to approve my applications if i want to apply with 530 GMAT score. After that i got research about UTEP and i figured out that UTEP MBA program was choosen #1 ranked MBA PROGRAM in HISPANIC SCHOOLS at 25 September 2010. Berkley was 3rd. But i am really not sure what is hispanic schools and how much it is important. I have just check the list of top ten in hispanic schools and it impressed me. Is there anyone can help me to understand how quality UTEP is?

Anyway This is my dilemma:

To be idealist and get the knewton course,start all over,re-take the gmat bla bla bla. or have an mba program in UTEP and run the business during this period. I dont have to pay living expenses in El paso this is another advantage. What is disadvantage of it? it is to forget about getting MBA in UCLA,NYU,BOOTH...

What would you do if you were me...i am really stuck and it makes me kinda sad

Thanks

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 23:58
Apparently nobody wants to be my position....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 13:53
I'd do a net present value analysis of expected cash flows in both cases and pick the one with the highest net present value. Basically, if your business will make you a multimillionaire soon then I would go with that. I'm not even sure that I would go to UTEP and try to start a business. But if the business has a high probability of failure then you should try much harder at the GMAT and make sure to get smart people in your study group because you guys will explain things to one another and it will help you communicate more quickly in English.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1392 [1] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 15:16
This post received
KUDOS
I am not sure I even understand what your question is. But based on your post I can tell you a couple of things:

1. I don't think UTEP is on the list of the top 50 business schools in the US (Based off of the Business Week rankings, at least). But at the same time, I think it's more important for you to be looking into the value that the MBA brings for you. At any given time, almost all the business schools in the US, which are decently ranked are pretty decent in terms of "education value". The true value of the schools you mentioned (Stern, Booth) is in the networking power, alumni base, faculty and infrastructure, among other things. If you already have a family business and you intend to develop it, then a UTEP MBA might be okay - but its a question you have to ask yourself, not us.

2. I mean this in the most constructive way possible, so please don't be offended if it seems rude. But based on your post, you really really need to improve your speaking standards by a VAST amount to even fall in the usual range of people who get admitted to the schools you mentioned, so that would require a lot of work, both on the GMAT and the essays. Putting in that kind of time commitment for an MBA, will again, require you to contemplate the value of said MBA.

And vannbj's advice is really sound as well. If the business is a high-risk one, then it'd be more fruitful to focus on the GMAT and get into a better known school for the value of the degree. But if the business is going to get you what you want already, then you might as well go with the UTEP program. Again, this is just my 2 cents and might not really reflect what's best for you - that, only you can figure out.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 16:16
First of all,Thanks for the answers...

@Whiplash: I am sorry about my English however it is not that bad. Due to being non-native speaker,My english can act up when i am tired or under stress like last night. Aside that, the fact is obvious that my English is not that great.This is why i got V20 in gmat. As you can guess, i need to improve my English and my gmat score for the top 50 schools. It means i need at least 6 month for that.

My first question is;

UTEP is not top 50 for sure. My first question is; UTEP is chosen by Hispanic Business Week as first ranked MBA PROGRAM at 15th of september 2010. How should we read this? I am pretty sure that it is not high-level schools,can we locate it as low-level school?

Staying with my family business or create a new life is my dilemma. I am more close to create my own life and career instead take care of my family business actually.

@vannbj As i mentioned before, My career purpose is; 1-Working in Energy Sector 2- Become Middle Eastern Region Manager of SHELL or BP.

My business is either for finance myself or for my MBA career. It is retail business and it will not be able to produce millions according to my 3 years work plan....

Second question;

It looks like i am stuck between realities and dreams. Needs time and patient, my dream is getting education in NYU,Booth or UCLA.Hopefully it will make my way easier to be region manager. More convincing and logical reality is Run my retail business to finance myself with MBA career in UTEP. TRY harder to get the job in the industry....

What would you choose To Pursue Your Dreams or Admit Realities And Do your best....

PS: IF UTEP would be really bad school and nobody knows it, i would not think about not to pursue my dream.
@WHIPLASH feel free to tell me things mate, I know you and you are helpful guy. Dont worry about being rude, i know your intention is good.

Wait your opinions guyz...

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 19:13
http://business.utep.edu/images/news/mb ... letter.pdf

Just check the list guyz..

VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 19:20
The rankings is for best schools for Hispanics.

This is the old list

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/ranking ... ls_for.htm
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 19:24
You may want to look at some schools in Houston or Dallas. This way you will have better recruiting opportunities in energy.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Lot's that I shall most likely not get into
WE 1: Strategy Consulting
WE 2: corp finance
WE 3: Marketing
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 40

Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 19:27
Hi there,
Just to clarify, Hispanic = spanish-speaking population in america - so, quite honestly, that ranking is not quite useful for you. Just because UTEP is a good school for a spanish speaking person in America, it is not a good school for you. That said, UTEP is in a high energy sector area (El Paso Texas) but if you were to focus on Texas A&M, University of Texas or University of Houston after you study and re-take the GMAT, I would say you have a better shot or better luck (There are examples, there is many more, but these three are schools in Texas that have a strength in the Energy Sector).
Good luck!

My motto in life - http://www.structuredprocrastination.com/
Go Longhorns!!

My Recommender Question List 2011

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 19:29
Sir can i ask direct question to you?

I am not from USA so i really dont know reputation about UTEP.

IS UTEP GOOD SCHOOL? Not low-level?

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 19:31
shr30 wrote:
Hi there,
Just to clarify, Hispanic = spanish-speaking population in america - so, quite honestly, that ranking is not quite useful for you. Just because UTEP is a good school for a spanish speaking person in America, it is not a good school for you. That said, UTEP is in a high energy sector area (El Paso Texas) but if you were to focus on Texas A&M, University of Texas or University of Houston after you study and re-take the GMAT, I would say you have a better shot or better luck (There are examples, there is many more, but these three are schools in Texas that have a strength in the Energy Sector).
Good luck!

Oh ok so basicly you recommend to re-take Gmat....got it....if i get in UTEP,should i be sorry for that? I dont know anything about UTEP....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 19:41
fatihaysu wrote:
Sir can i ask direct question to you?

I am not from USA so i really dont know reputation about UTEP.

IS UTEP GOOD SCHOOL? Not low-level?

That's a subjective question. I wonder what his subjective answer will be. Let's see...

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 19:43
The thing is that there are better schools.

Posted from my mobile device Image
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 19:47
Hispanic isnt spanish speaking. A lot of hispanics in the u.s. dont even know spanish. Sorry for being technical.

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 21:29
lagomez wrote:

Sir for sure there is a lot better schools but the questions is utep is over average or not? Thanks for hispanic school defination

Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 21:52
this ought to be interesting...

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 22:04
fatihaysu wrote:
lagomez wrote:

Sir for sure there is a lot better schools but the questions is utep is over average or not? Thanks for hispanic school defination

Average of what? Of all schools in the US? Texas? Average of Tier 1? Which average? Average by ROI?

Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 22:12
^ i see my boy from VCU stepping up his game! Get 'em baby! :)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 22:16
vannbj wrote:
fatihaysu wrote:
lagomez wrote:

Average of what? Of all schools in the US? Texas? Average of Tier 1? Which average? Average by ROI?

MY FRIEND I JUST WANT TO KNOW, WHEN A EMPLOYER SEE UTEP MBA PROGRAM IN MY RESUME, WILL IT BE POSITIVE FOR ME OR NEGATIVE OR NONE OF THEM? DOES HE QUESTION HIMSELF WHAT UTEP IS? ....?????????

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT... [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 22:32
Got ya, homie. That I'm not sure of. I guess that you'll have to ask the employer(s) you're looking at. You might also check out glassdoor.com to see what they pay mba's for. If I came across as rude then please forgive me. It was in no way a swipe at you but the question was ambiguous in my opinion so I wanted to define it. Best of luck.

Re: REALLY SO HARD DECISION,HELP ME GUYZ, I REALLY NEED IT...   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2010, 22:32