Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 08:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reapplicant essays for UCLA Anderson 2010 (and elsewhere)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson '12
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 2

Reapplicant essays for UCLA Anderson 2010 (and elsewhere) [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2009, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
This might be a pretty niche thread but is anyone else a reapplicant to UCLA/Anderson for 2010?

I'd love to hear any of your thoughts on these essays. I've included a few comments of my own writings so far. Anyone else with similar reapplication essays, please feel free to contribute - I'd love to bounce ideas off of each other :-D

Please describe your career progress since you last applied and ways in which you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (750 words)

The big bad broad question. I'm uncertain of my organization, but basically started off where my last application effort left off, with failure and that sparked motivation in me to step things up in my life, not just my candidacy. I transition that into the things I've done in the last 2 years:

-raised my GMAT score into the top 3% from 87 %tile.
-MOVED to Los Angeles and obtained a job in the private equity industry.
-started volunteering (again) as a mentor and tutor, not just mentioned volunteering with UCLA's programs in the essay
-started taking language classes, a personal goal and to pursue international career interests in the future
-MOST importantly, spoke to many UCLA students and really got excited about some specific finance classes

Describe the biggest risk you have ever taken, the outcome, and what you learned in the process. (500 words)

The question seems to focus on a single risk but I started the essay about snowboarding, taking a personal risk to learn a sport I am passionate about. I (am trying to) transition it to a move to Los Angeles (first out-of-state move) to pursue a career in consulting for the media industry. Original plan did not work out as my firm was acquired and I returned to asset management with a better honed career focus. Should I stick with just one risk taken??
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reapplicant essays for UCLA Anderson 2010 (and elsewhere) [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2009, 14:42
duuuma wrote:
This might be a pretty niche thread but is anyone else a reapplicant to UCLA/Anderson for 2010?

I'd love to hear any of your thoughts on these essays. I've included a few comments of my own writings so far. Anyone else with similar reapplication essays, please feel free to contribute - I'd love to bounce ideas off of each other :-D

Please describe your career progress since you last applied and ways in which you have enhanced your candidacy. Include updates on short-term and long-term career goals, as well as your continued interest in UCLA Anderson. (750 words)

The big bad broad question. I'm uncertain of my organization, but basically started off where my last application effort left off, with failure and that sparked motivation in me to step things up in my life, not just my candidacy. I transition that into the things I've done in the last 2 years:

-raised my GMAT score into the top 3% from 87 %tile.
-MOVED to Los Angeles and obtained a job in the private equity industry.
-started volunteering (again) as a mentor and tutor, not just mentioned volunteering with UCLA's programs in the essay
-started taking language classes, a personal goal and to pursue international career interests in the future
-MOST importantly, spoke to many UCLA students and really got excited about some specific finance classes

Describe the biggest risk you have ever taken, the outcome, and what you learned in the process. (500 words)

The question seems to focus on a single risk but I started the essay about snowboarding, taking a personal risk to learn a sport I am passionate about. I (am trying to) transition it to a move to Los Angeles (first out-of-state move) to pursue a career in consulting for the media industry. Original plan did not work out as my firm was acquired and I returned to asset management with a better honed career focus. Should I stick with just one risk taken??

Looks like you've done ALOT since you last applied, you say that it was within the last 2 years, when was it that you last applied? Some schools don't count reapply after 2 years as a reapplicant. It would be concidered a new application.

As for your organization, I would think your best start and strongest part of your application should be your career change. and after which would be something toward your classes and tying in that your GMAT was also improved to better reflect you academic potential. Volunteering however doesn't seem like something you should directly mention cuz it seems like you did that specifically for application and also probably least important of the information.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson '12
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Reapplicant essays for UCLA Anderson 2010 (and elsewhere) [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2009, 16:13
Thanks for the feedback GoBruins. I suppose it makes sense to initiate and concentrate the essay around my career, esp. since it's the first part of the question. Working at a PE Fund of Funds hasn't necessarily helped with my career objectives since I'm an accountant but the exposure has given me more to write.

Actually, what's really helped with objectives was talking to UCLA grads and hearing about their classes/experiences. I guess that could drive the st/lt goals section plus cont'd interest in Anderson question...and if I really wanted to go in depth, there's the optional essay.

Any advice on the "Risk" essay and/or on what to write (if anything) in the option extra essay?

BTW, I applied in January 2008 (Rd. 2) for 2008 admission, so I believe this is the last year for me to be considered as a reapplicant.
Re: Reapplicant essays for UCLA Anderson 2010 (and elsewhere)   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2009, 16:13