Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Maverick82 wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the prompt Reply. I will certinly think through the best way to beat the GMAT. However, I dint quite understand this part of your reply

"You clearly can get into a top 10 or top 15 school, but may have hurt your chances last year by aiming *only* high. If you can relax your standards just a bit you should succeed"

Can you please elaborate on this ? Is this with reference to INSEAD? Cos, INSEAD does not include wait-listed candidates in the list of previously rejected candidates.... . Also between the last time and this time, I am "re-applying" only to INSEAD....

Would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you so much once again.

Skanda

Skanda,

All I meant was that last year you applied three highly ranked programs-- Cornell, LBS, and INSEAD--and plan to do so again this year. This "only aim high" strategy lowers your odds of success. If you were to apply to some schools a little lower on the food chain your odds of success would increase.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Update - subsequent to your advice [#permalink]
Dear Paul,

Subsequent to your advice, I retook the GMAT for the third and final time and am relieved that I got a 700 ( Q 48 V 38 ). If you were to re look at my profile with this development, will your assessment of my chances at the schools ( that I mentioned before) change? Do you think, I can go ahead with my original selection of schools, or do you think I can rebalance my portfolio? Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Maverick
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Update - subsequent to your advice [#permalink]
Maverick82 wrote:
Dear Paul,

Subsequent to your advice, I retook the GMAT for the third and final time and am relieved that I got a 700 ( Q 48 V 38 ). If you were to re look at my profile with this development, will your assessment of my chances at the schools ( that I mentioned before) change? Do you think, I can go ahead with my original selection of schools, or do you think I can rebalance my portfolio? Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Maverick

Maverick,

Congratulations, that's a big improvement. Based on the little I know about you, I would say that you do have a chance at all of the schools you originally listed. The fact that you were wait-listed at INSEAD and have since raised your score by 40 points tells me they will regard you as a significantly improved candidate. Whether you are a 'competitive' or 'long-shot' applicant at these schools depends on the quality of your career and community experiences in terms of leadership and impact.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you [#permalink]
Dear Paul,

Thank you so much for your advice. Your help is much appreciated.
Given the recent development, I am considering rebalancing my portfolio, once am done picking the schools, I will run them by you for your opinion.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Maverick
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Thank you [#permalink]
Maverick82 wrote:
Dear Paul,

Thank you so much for your advice. Your help is much appreciated.
Given the recent development, I am considering rebalancing my portfolio, once am done picking the schools, I will run them by you for your opinion.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Maverick

You're welcome.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Thank you [#permalink]