Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 17:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
For those who reapplied this year --

How did you communicate it to your boss/management last year? How did you break the news that you got dinged across the board and would not be attending? When did you do this (Spring, Summer?)? And lastly, did you share that you would definitely be reapplying and giving it another shot... or did you keep it mum at that point and say "I'm gonna think about it and for now I will be devoted to the job"?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 11:58
Well I guess my background helped me here as I was very upfront and set expectations early on in the process. For me I let my recommenders and my boss know that I was very young in the application timeline and that it was extremely competitive this year. I wanted them to write the best recommendations possible and I was basically signing some of them up for multiple years of writing recommendations if I would be trying again next year.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 12:04
In case I didn't have much success in R1, I showered my recommenders with Thank You Gifts even before i heard from R1 schools. A lot of them thought I spent too much so I just told them, "I might have to ask you guys again for more rec letters in case I need to reapply in the second round."

They were all okay with that and I am fully taking advantage of that for LBS.

My advice is to let them know early that you might ask for help again in the near future.
But Thank You Gifts work like a charm IMO. :wink:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 12:12
I agree with Nink I also handed out my gifts in R1 and then asked for more recommendations in R2.

I think you can work this to your advantage by explaining to your boss not only are you on board with your current job but you want more responsibility, etc., so you can really improve your case for next year. Let him/her know what your plans are and I think you'll be able to point out your major accomplishments to them through out the year. This should make for better LoRs and maybe some good essay material.

Take a big break and regroup now you've got a year to improve your chances!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 12:21
I only applied to my dream schools so I knew that odds weren't in my favor.

After my recommenders submitted their recs (before I heard back from schools), I thanked each of them, sent nice thank you gift-cards, and reiterated how competitive this application season is going to be.... that's where I slipped in the possibility of reapplying next year.

If you are planning to stay at the firm for another year, I would definitely bring this up as soon as possible (if you are dinged across the board). You don't want your managers taking away your responsibilities because they think you are leaving in a few months. I also think you don't really have to phrase things along the lines of "getting dinged everywhere and staying at the firm." I would talk about how you thought long and hard about your choices and decided that staying with the company is the best option for you right now. Give them an impression that you chose the firm over business school. If they ask for details on your results, then you are going to have to tell them about the dings.. but you can also bring up not choosing to apply anywhere in R3 because you want to stay with the firm (how many of your managers will know that applying in R3 isn't a good idea for most people?).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 12:30
I gave $50 gift card to my recommenders for the Christmas holidays.Each of them did 6 recs but I did not get any admit so far.Do I need to give them another $50?

Last week, I told them that I would be reapplying.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 12:35
fall09 wrote:
I gave $50 gift card to my recommenders for the Christmas holidays.Each of them did 6 recs but I did not get any admit so far.Do I need to give them another $50?

Last week, I told them that I would be reapplying.

LOL. i don't think so. It's not like you are buying their rec letter service.
As long as they appreciate your gift and gesture, I think you will be fine. :-D

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 12:38
Thanks for all the tips everyone!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 14:07
Just took care of it. Actually caught two of my recommenders at the same time. They were incredibly supportive and said they'll do whatever they can to help me out next year.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 15:56
DK wrote:
Just took care of it. Actually caught two of my recommenders at the same time. They were incredibly supportive and said they'll do whatever they can to help me out next year.

That's awesome!
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 07:44
DK, on the upside, you now have "experienced" recommenders, so their letters next admission season should be excellent!

On a side note, I believe the letter of recommendation is very powerful, if your recommender is serious about writing a good one. I was talking with one of my recommenders about a month back and he was giving me some feedback. We came across the subject of talking about my weaknesses in a mock interview setting. He asked me point blank, "So what do you think your weaknesses are?" I really didn't have a good answer.

He went on, "I'll tell you what I wrote in your recommendation on your weaknesses. First, you have tendency to not delegate. As a result, you have a tendency to drift off-track and complete projects close on the deadline. You need to utilize and trust your subordinates more. But the positive I put in there was that you care about high-quality work. You get the mission done and I don't think it's a weakness that can't be overcome."

Needless to say, I was very glad I chose him as one of my recommenders. His insight into my work ethic and leadership style would have been difficult to ascertain through self-reflection.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 18:10
DK, you have probably already considered this, but won't you need a new recommender(s) for the schools you may be reapplying to?
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2009, 03:12
I don't think schools require you to find new recommenders if you're a reapplicant. It's really your decision whether you want to use the same recommenders, or if you think the recommendation was a problem to find a new one.

As for me, last year I told my recommenders when I found out my decisions and said I wasn't sure if I was going to reapply - which was the truth. All of them volunteered at that point to write new letters if I chose to reapply, so when I made that decision it was easy to get them involved again.

Re: Reapplicants: Communicating with boss/etc   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2009, 03:12