Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reapplication Keystrokes?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Reapplication Keystrokes? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 03:11
Hi,

I just got dinged from the schools that I applied to - Wharton, Columbia, MIT and Booth. While I went till the interview stage for Wharton and Booth with me being on waitlist for Booth, I am just wondering what better I can do to improve my candidature.

Just to give you a brief snapshot of my profile:

Work Experience:
Analytics consultant - Mckinsey and Co (~ 2 years)
Analytics - Tesco (~1 year)

Education Experience:
Masters in Economics (Delhi University) - 3.4 GPA
Bachelor in Technology - 3.5 GPA

GMAT - 700

Extra curricular - Leader at an organisation that teaches autistic children

Have lot of awards at various college events for debates, extempore,business case competitions, case studies, etc

District level swimming champion
Delhi University TT winner
etc

In light of the brief snapshot, could you please tell me what and how shall I go about improving my profile so that I really have an excellent chance of making through?

1 Shall I re-take GMAT? Will notching up couple of points make a huge difference?
2 Shall I switch my job that is closer to my long term goal of being a business consultant (shift from analytics to a more of business consultant domain)
3 Shall I reconsider list of schools that I want to apply to? Though I am fixed on going to top school only
4 Any additional extra curricular that I can do? Shall I venture out more into NGO stuff or take up a foreign language course like German or shall I open a firm that aligns me to my goals or something else?
5 Finally, am I right in re-applying to these schools or the fact that they dinged me once and would not be interested in me again unless I do something extraordinary ( which I can't in like 6 months)?

I would really appreciate your thoughts around this. Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs. Highly appreciate it.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 402 [1] , given: 239

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Reapplication Keystrokes? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 03:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Where do you want to be located? What are you looking for in a program (large vs small, in a city vs rural, specific academic/career specializations vs general management, etc)?

I don't think you need to change jobs unless you want to. Analytics to consulting is a logical path through an MBA program.

Overall, you can get into a program. It's just a matter of figuring out what schools best align with your goals. You only applied to top 10 programs this year. If you branch out a little more, you could have more success with the process, especially given your 700 GMAT and ethnic background. If you increased that you'll have a better chance.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Intern
Intern

Re: Reapplication Keystrokes? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 04:22
Thanks Aerien and heartiest congratulations for making through Ross. It is a great school.

Location aint a consideration. I am looking for a domain shift from analytics (strategy consulting) to IB/PE, however, I have woven my story along management consulting as the path. As for schools, I want to go to top school only. Having said that, please feel free to let me know which schools you think I should target apart from those that I already did. Additionally, what are your thoughts on notching up couple of points on GMAT score? Would it change the situation significantly?
I am asking this since I have limited time and I want to maximize my ROI (time).

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Highly appreciate it.

aerien wrote:
Where do you want to be located? What are you looking for in a program (large vs small, in a city vs rural, specific academic/career specializations vs general management, etc)?

I don't think you need to change jobs unless you want to. Analytics to consulting is a logical path through an MBA program.

Overall, you can get into a program. It's just a matter of figuring out what schools best align with your goals. You only applied to top 10 programs this year. If you branch out a little more, you could have more success with the process, especially given your 700 GMAT and ethnic background. If you increased that you'll have a better chance.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 402 [0], given: 239

Re: Reapplication Keystrokes? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 04:50
Expert's post
Well, going to PE will be tough from a non top 5 school, and you'd need IB experience anyways to get there. So, if you're targeting IB then look at Columbia, Stern, Yale, Johnson. The proximity to nyc helps with recruiting.

That being said, your 700 for an Indian applicant is below average, not just for most/all these schools but for your ethnicity as well. If you're set on a top 10 school for finance you should increase that if you can. As it stands I think you have a better chance in the 10-20 range.

aerien

Intern
Intern

Re: Reapplication Keystrokes? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 05:13
Thanks Aerien. I will target these schools as well and try and scale up my GMAT score.
btw which university are you finally heading to?

aerien wrote:
Well, going to PE will be tough from a non top 5 school, and you'd need IB experience anyways to get there. So, if you're targeting IB then look at Columbia, Stern, Yale, Johnson. The proximity to nyc helps with recruiting.

That being said, your 700 for an Indian applicant is below average, not just for most/all these schools but for your ethnicity as well. If you're set on a top 10 school for finance you should increase that if you can. As it stands I think you have a better chance in the 10-20 range.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 402 [0], given: 239

Re: Reapplication Keystrokes? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 05:43
Expert's post
Good luck!! I'll be headed to Yale.

aerien

Re: Reapplication Keystrokes?   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2013, 05:43