Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 09:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reapply to Chicago Booth R2, or R3 with career/EC growth??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Society of San Francisco (Affiliate Member), American Society for Quality (Enterprise Member)
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V40
WE: Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Reapply to Chicago Booth R2, or R3 with career/EC growth?? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 11:13
waiting till R3:
Pros:
pending new job in January (different/unique industry, similar function, international experience)
I just took a lead role for a volunteer organization, and would have progress towards event planning.
Attempting the GMAT for a 4th time. (630 (Q39/V38) on first attempt is my best, but I just know that the quant side can come up).
Cons:
less admits, i.e. more competitive.

Applying R2:
Pros:
More admits, same round I got an interview in last year
possible waitlist.
Cons:
recommendation letters might not come in time for R2
feeling like work hasn't shown sufficient career progress since being rejected in March 2011.
not much EC in last 6 mo.
still applying with weak GMAT.

Notables: despite my profile, I interviewed R2 last year. My dad is a Chicago GSB alum (might have helped to get the interview). 3.71 GPA in M.S. degree, recent A in statistics.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 552 [0], given: 114

Re: Reapply to Chicago Booth R2, or R3 with career/EC growth?? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 14:53
Well, usually reapplicants have something to prove because they want to see how you've improved since your previous application. If you really feel you've made no improvement, and you could make significant improvement by R3, then it might actually be better for you to wait. But I have to admit, its hard for me to imagine how much a few months could really make in your application. With a 630, you've got to bring something special to the table, so I'd do everything you can to boost other aspects of your application. For every 630 they accept they need to admit (and yield) two applicants signficantly above 700 to keep their average. You need to show them why they want you over another applicant with similar stats.

Booth is a top 10 school, and they reject a lot of applicants. If your application didn't get you in previously, and not much has changed, I would do my best to add as many "new" aspects to it so you can discuss that in your reapplicant essay. If you send in a R2 app, with no changes, and maybe no rec letters, I think your setting yourself up for failure.

I would do my best to get a 680+ GMAT to show improviement, I would work to get amazing recommendation letters, I would get involved in your new EC so you can have something to speak about, I would work towards (or request) a raise or promotion. Even getting that new job, and some experience there under your belt could help in the discussion.

It is usually not advised to submit R3 over R2, but this may be the only time its acceptable. You have a lot of work to do, to really show that Booth is the school for you. Put 110% in, so atleast when you look back in 10 years, you know you did EVERYTHING you could to get into your top choice. Good luck!

Are you applying to other schools also?

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Society of San Francisco (Affiliate Member), American Society for Quality (Enterprise Member)
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V40
WE: Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Reapply to Chicago Booth R2, or R3 with career/EC growth?? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 15:26
Thank you so much for your reply!!

I feel if I truly perform to the best of my abilities I could hit a 680. However, I had a Kaplan course +100 hrs of self study for that 630. Then re-took the exam 6-8 weeks later and choked. Then studied again this summer, and choked even worse. I don't know what it will take to resume where I was or exceed, but I am willing to really dig deep on this one.

I applied to:
UCLA FEMBA (R1, and was rejected)
USC, R1 full-time (No interview invite yet)....will likely ask to pull my app and apply to part-time
Cornell R2

Now add wildcard in that I could move to follow my fiancée, and could be in (Boston, Baltimore, Chicago, Bay Area, or stay in the OC).
Re: Reapply to Chicago Booth R2, or R3 with career/EC growth??   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2011, 15:26