Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reapply to School? Rewrite GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Reapply to School? Rewrite GMAT? [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 09:43
Hi,

I applied to last year and got straight ding from Stanford, Duke, Darden and ding after interview from Kellogg and Cornell. I have posted a few questions below, Would be great if I could get some help.

My Profile:

-Indian/male/29
-Deloitte Consulting (Strategy & Ops) + Strategy roles in young Telecom & Internet companies
-hold undergrad and post grad (Telecom) from IIT Madras, India
-GPA 3/4 (better than average in the class, highly competitive class and school)
-2.3 yrs experience in Deloitte Consulting (Telecom & technology vertical, Strategy & Operation)
-5 months product management in a medium size mobile VAS player 
-1.3 yrs experience in Telenor (A Multinational telecom player) as a business analyst to business head of two states, exposure to sales, marketing and customer care and ground operation
- for last 1 year in an online and mobile advertising company which was started in 2006, growing rapidly
-first 7 months in Mumbai (India) donning multiple hats of business analysis, marketing, pre-sales
-was given a new opportunity and shifted to Singapore 4 months back for launching the product in South-East Asia and over see the project management of integration process post acquisition of a company
- Good amount of Extra curricular activities in college (College captain for music for 2 yrs, national social service for 2 yrs, Extra mural lecture coordinator etc) but little work after the college
-Helped the company for campus recruitment
- Organizers (city chapter) for Global panIIT meet which happens once in a year in US or India in alternate years
-Took counseling sessions for poor kids (for short duration)
- GMAT: 710 (M 50, V35, 5)

My questions
-Though I don't belong to the competitive pool of Indian IT Male, I do come from Indian Eng Male background. During feedback session from Darden (which btw had only 1 essay question + 3 small essays last year), said that my GMAT was not their favorite aspect and hence I should look for further improvement. My question is, which option should I exercise
1. Start Preparing for GMAT now, write it by mid-Sep and then apply to couple of schools in R1
2. Apply for my low schools in R1 by mid-Sep. Write GMAT in Nov and then apply for remaining schools in R2 (including Top schools)
3. Don't write GMAT at all and apply for my 2 safe choices + 1 mid choice first in R1 and then for remaining later in R2
4. Any other suggestion?
- if two schools are identical for me in terms of suitability, which one should I apply to, one where was rejected last year or one where I had not applied. Do school look at the reapplication more favorably or turn them down more easily
-I am aiming college from 4th to 15th rank. How realistic is the aim, especially after disappointing last year? 
- Any suggestions on the split of High/Medium/Low schools?

Thanks in advance,
Gogo
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Re: Reapply to School? Rewrite GMAT? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
you have asked a series of tough complex questions here, but i'll do my best.

if darden says to take the gmat again, and you want to reapply to darden, then you almost have no choice but to take it again. these evaluations are taken seriously when you call the adcom office. they are not telling you anything but the truth. the person on the phone probably looked at your file when spkg with you and it likely said, "needs higher gmat." since your M score is already excellent, it's likely due to your V skills. darden is a case study school, so strong V skills are critical. with a low V on GMAT, your essays need to be written perfectly to offset. otherwise, there are concerns.

as it relates to your strategy/planning, my advice is to do one thing at a time to stay focused. all the gmat work first, then all the essay work. or just decide you're skipping the gmat and head straight into essay work.

from your summary eval, it's tough to follow your accomplishments and any linearity with your career progress. this might be a reason for the denial the last time. it must be very clear (particularly for int'l apps) how you've moved from one job to the next with more responsibility, leadership, etc. based on your vitals, there's nothing that could be keeping you out of a top 10 program, except for perhaps this challenge.

hope that's helpful,
-james young

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: Reapply to School? Rewrite GMAT? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 22:27
It indeed was ! thanks a bunch :)
Re: Reapply to School? Rewrite GMAT?   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2012, 22:27