Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reapply - use the same recommender or not?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reapply - use the same recommender or not? [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 20:34
Hi guys,

I was dinged by HBS and plan to reapply this year. While I got very solid recommendations from three previous managers, should I have them again while reapplying, or should I find new recommenders to recommend me from different perspectives?

If I do choose the same recommenders as last year, should I ask them to write the rec letter differently? I wonder whether the adcom will pull out the old application or not.

Thanks for the advice!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Reapply - use the same recommender or not? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 08:28
Check the application requirements. Some schools require you to get 1 or more different recommenders. For others you can use the same.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 550 Q30 V36
GMAT 2: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 3: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.27
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 70

Reviews Badge
Re: Reapply - use the same recommender or not? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 08:45
I'm sure this differs from school to school, but I would assume they have all of your information still on file and will most likely use last year's letters in addition to whatever you submit this year unless they state otherwise.

It definitely wouldn't hurt to get another recommendation, perhaps that was one of the items that wasn't strong in your past application. Another letter would certainly help.

Along with that - you don't really know what your recommender said unless they provided you with the letter. Perhaps it was generic, or what they had to say about you wasn't exactly what HBS was looking for. It might be better to receive a recommendation from a new source. As you said - different perspectives. I think that this would be the way I would go.

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." - Walt Disney

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 5

Re: Reapply - use the same recommender or not? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 08:53
Yeah, as others have mentioned, they will have your old application on file. Many schools require only 1 recommendation for reapplicants, since they can refer to your prior recommendations - given that, I would plan to ask someone new this year.
Re: Reapply - use the same recommender or not?   [#permalink] 10 May 2013, 08:53