Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rec Letter Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Rec Letter Questions [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 08:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I noticed that among the top 10 schools, not many reveal the questions/guidelines for rec letters. Does anyone know if there is any way to get them now?

Looking at Wharton and MIT's, it generally looks like they want recommenders to talk about the applicant's strengths/accomplishments, weaknesses and what has been done to work on them, comparison with peers at the same level, and teamwork/character. I'd like for my recommenders to just write one general letter and make only minor tweaks to it on a school by school basis so knowing questions ahead of time would be very helpful.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Rec Letter Questions [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Rec letter questions are typically included in the Downloadable Forms on the school's application platform. You could also get the questions by signing up a dummy recommender and having the info sent to one of your email accounts. Simply delete the entry in the application system once you have the info you want. Hope this helps.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rec Letter Questions [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 10:27
This does, thanks. Never thought about d/l-ing the forms. I thought about adding dummy recommenders, but my orig fear was that schools would see this. I guess it's not that big a deal.
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Rec Letter Questions [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 11:37
stompy wrote:
This does, thanks. Never thought about d/l-ing the forms. I thought about adding dummy recommenders, but my orig fear was that schools would see this. I guess it's not that big a deal.

Schools don't see anything until you hit submit and cough up the app fee. Don't worry about it.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Rec Letter Questions [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 06:57
I think in most cases you can find the instructions on the school website (on the admissions/applying tab).
Anyway, you can always find detailed instructions inside the online application.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Re: Rec Letter Questions [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 11:10
Most of the schools post them publicly if you dig deeper. One of the schools you mentioned (Wharton) has recommendation questions posted in their S2S forum.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rec Letter Questions [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 12:13
cheetarah1980 wrote:
stompy wrote:

Schools don't see anything until you hit submit and cough up the app fee. Don't worry about it.

People, WATCH OUT!!!! Terrible piece of advice over here. Some schools (like Haas) won't allow you to delete a recommender, while other schools (like Booth and Columbia) will keep the deleted recommender on the application sheet. Now I'm wondering how I will approach Haas AdCom and ask them to delete my dummy recommender.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Rec Letter Questions [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 20:29
stompy wrote:
I noticed that among the top 10 schools, not many reveal the questions/guidelines for rec letters. Does anyone know if there is any way to get them now?

Looking at Wharton and MIT's, it generally looks like they want recommenders to talk about the applicant's strengths/accomplishments, weaknesses and what has been done to work on them, comparison with peers at the same level, and teamwork/character. I'd like for my recommenders to just write one general letter and make only minor tweaks to it on a school by school basis so knowing questions ahead of time would be very helpful.

The part in bold is probably not realistic....my recommenders showed me their letters after the fact, and each of my 5 schools asked for slightly different information. For instance:

"Tell us about a time you offered the applicant a piece of constructive criticism and how he/she reacted."
"Tell us about a time you witnessed the applicant take an innovative/creative approach to a problem."
"Describe the applicant's interpersonal skills with their peers and subordinates."

And so forth.

If you're applying to multiple schools, your recommenders will have to respond to multiple prompts. There's just no way around that fact. Canned, one size fits all letters will hurt your chances for admission relative to someone who is able to find recommenders who are willing and able to put the time into writing specific anecdotes in response to the questions.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Re: Rec Letter Questions   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2012, 20:29