Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 21:52
How is everyone else doing with the actual harsh reality of transitioning from a young professional back to a piss-poor student?

I just received quotes on shipping my car from British Columbia to Ontario for school this year, and the $1,000 cost freaked me out to the point that all I can think now is "holy shit, this is getting expensive!"

I just received my line of credit approval, barely enough to cover the hefty MBA tuition bill, and with my four digit savings I'm wondering what the hell I'm going to be doing to keep out of the men's shelter over the next two years.

Is anyone else feeling like that honeymoon, dreamy stage is over with your admit? Like, this dream has come true and it's a much harder reality than you thought before?

Between the financing, the moving, figuring out when to quit your job, and re-thinking whether you chose the right school or (God forbid) the right direction in your life, it's almost too much stress to deal with in two months!!!

How are you all doing?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth 2012
WE 1: Fixed Income IB/Trading
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
YES! I feel that way. They should use some of those alumni donations and give out more scholarships.

I know we're all supposed to make "TONS MORE" and a "HUGE POSITIVE NPV" but seriously, right now, it feels insurmountable.

Hopefully we all become hedge fund managers.
Current Student
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 22

Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 13:38
Right there with you guys. I'm shifting rapidly between impatient bursts of excitement, panic attacks and night terrors....
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 17

Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 14:23
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 22

Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 14:27
This post received
KUDOS
Anu, can we introduce your parents to my parents?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 15:13
You're lucky. Some people have to support their parents.
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 17

Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 15:51
Intern
Intern

Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 15:53
Good luck.

Adult decisions aren't easy.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 05:53
Guys, try to relax about this. Yes we definitely try not to think about the significant debt we're piling up for this 2 year adventure, but the concern over living in shelters is greatly exaggerated. Schools generally add enough fluff into the official student budget that you can live pretty comfortably on it, including some travel during the year.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 04:41
I'm not worried about living in a shelter during the MBA, I'm worried about living in a shelter AFTER the MBA.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Schools: Cambridge/Judge '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 03:19
I'm feeling it, too, and I'm looking at a 1-year MBA with half the debt than most of you guys. I just got a college admit yesterday with accommodation options, and for a single study room with shared facilities I'm looking at about 450 GBP per month, that is, about 6000 euro for the whole MBA. It's not much, but right now, considering the total cost and the idea of temporary unemployment, this little sum freaked me out. :roll:

Is it worth it? This was the same question I asked myself when I was admitted to university as an undergrad. I had achieved my dream position, and I got cold feet. At that time I was worried about fixing the direction of my life with choosing the undergrad major straight from the start (that's what we do here in Finland). I found out I was totally wrong and had a multitude of choices, that led me to where I am today.

Right now I'm worried about the financial aspect. I guess I just have to tackle this like I did my transition to undergrad. Believe in the future and all that jazz. My husband is just looking forward to me being the main provider in the household - he plans to quit his current job and become a full-time photographer. Life is tough for modern women. :lol:
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 22:04
How do you guys know this is the right decision for you?

I'm pretty much at the week I need to let my job know I'm off to school, and I can think of is "did I choose the right school? is this the right time? is this the right thing to do with my life?

"I like marketing now, and I'm going to the leading marketing school in the country, but what if I go and find out I really like finance over marketing and should have gone to the great financial school that accepted me? Should I have gone to the states? Does an MBA matter?

"Doctors and dentists would never get the fall of society pinned on them like MBAs do, should I be going into a field like that instead? Will I have respect or a decent job afterwards? What are the students going to be like? All I see from Facebook groups is that they're all very international, so will I fit in?"

How do you guys answer these questions?
Re: Recent admits becoming paralyzed with nerves   [#permalink] 30 May 2010, 22:04