Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 19

Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (02:29) correct 52% (01:52) wrong based on 174 sessions
Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased the average time for recovery from medical operations. Compared to ten years ago, the average post-operative hospital stay for patients undergoing surgery at the ten largest hospitals has actually increased by four days. Although mortality rates for operative procedures are much lower, patients are requiring more time to recover from these procedures. Clearly, the quality of operative and post-operative care is declining. The medical community should be very concerned about this grave problem.

All of the following, if true, weaken the argument above EXCEPT:

A)Operative and post-operative mortality rates are the most accurate indicators of quality of medical care.
B)Fewer than thirty percent of beds in the largest hospitals are occupied by patients recovering from surgery.
C)In the past ten years, innovations have allowed previously inoperable conditions to be treated successfully by major surgery.
D)Every year, many surgical procedures that previously required hospital stays are simplified enough that they can safely be performed in outpatient clinics.
E)Average surgical recovery time, measured by hospital stay plus time spent disabled from normal activities at home, has decreased by twelve percent in the last ten years.

Can someone explain his line of thinking approaching this question?
What I did, I was looking for the answers that would weaken the conclusion and deleted those.
still chose the wrong one.

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 330 [2] , given: 182

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 11:53
This post received
KUDOS
This question is of Weaken EXCEPT" type, i.e. our objective is to find the answer that
- strengthens the conclusion
- does not affect or is irrelevant to conclusion
- Out of scope answer

Conclusion: The quality of operative and post-operative care is declining and medical community should be concerned about it.
Reasoning: patients are requiring more time to recover from these procedures despite recent advancements in surgical procedures.

A)Operative and post-operative mortality rates are the most accurate indicators of quality of medical care.
-- This choice weakens author's claim and states that operative/post-operative [color=#ff0000]mortality rates are most accurate indicators, NOT the recovery time.
[/color]B)Fewer than thirty percent of beds in the largest hospitals are occupied by patients recovering from surgery.
-- This choice doesn't weaken or strengthen the conclusion, as the percentage of occupancy does not tell us anything about avg time of post surgical recovery. Author's reasoning is focused around decline in average time of recovery. Just the fact that "the occupancy is less than 30%" doesnt help us to evaluate whether the choice supports or weakens author's claim. The occupancy might have increased from 20% to 25% OR decreased from 25% to 10%. It can go either way and still be under 30%. Hence this is the correct for "Weaken EXCEPT" type answer.
C)In the past ten years, innovations have allowed previously inoperable conditions to be treated successfully by major surgery.
-- This weakens author's conclusion.
D)Every year, many surgical procedures that previously required hospital stays are simplified enough that they can safely be performed in outpatient clinics.
-- This weakens author's conclusion and implies that hospital stay would reduce as the surgeries can be performed in clinics.
E)Average surgical recovery time, measured by hospital stay plus time spent disabled from normal activities at home, has decreased by twelve percent in the last ten years.
-- This also clearly weakens author's conclusion

Thanks,
PraPon

VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

Last edited by PrashantPonde on 08 Jan 2013, 16:44, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 157 [1] , given: 9

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 20:36
This post received
KUDOS
roygush wrote:
Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased the average time for recovery from medical operations. Compared to ten years ago, the average post-operative hospital stay for patients undergoing surgery at the ten largest hospitals has actually increased by four days. Although mortality rates for operative procedures are much lower, patients are requiring more time to recover from these procedures. Clearly, the quality of operative and post-operative care is declining. The medical community should be very concerned about this grave problem.

All of the following, if true, weaken the argument above EXCEPT:

B)Fewer than thirty percent of beds in the largest hospitals are occupied by patients recovering from surgery.

Can someone explain his line of thinking approaching this question?
What I did, I was looking for the answers that would weaken the conclusion and deleted those.
still chose the wrong one.

Thanks

Premise of the argument: Average post-operative stay in hospitals is increasing
Conclusion: The quality of the operative and the post-operative care is declining.
Assumption:The period of post operative stay in the hospitals determines the quality of the operative and post-operative care

So anything that weakens the argument should weaken the premise, or weaken the assumption or show that the conclusion doesn't logically follow from the premise and the assumption.

Choice A weakens the assumption
Choice D and E weaken the premise

I know the answer is supposed to be B and it is ok but Choice C also doesn't weaken the argument as it doesn't weaken the premise or the assumption. It just says something contrary to the conclusion of the author.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 10:21
Option B stands as the best answer for us)Fewer than thirty
percent of beds in the
largest hospitals are
occupied by patients
recovering from
surgery...as our main target is to weaken the conclusion made by the authour that many patients take long time to recover in the hospitals due to advances in surgical operations..option b by stating that less than thirty percent of the patients recovering from surgical operations remain in the hospital for a while as 70 or more of the patient who have recovered from the same advanced surgical operations get discharged..so B offers us with the best choice of answer.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Followers: 245

Kudos [?]: 2104 [0], given: 680

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 12:00
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 19

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 12:51
carcass wrote:
I'm not fully convinced about B. I picked A and of course is wrong.

After several reflections I'm still not convinced about the OA

Im not convinced either and ill tell you why.
It always happens to me in questions where the reasoning you need to choose is out of scope or doesnt hurt the argument.
Thats exactly whats going on here.
Naturally I want to choose something that does not weaken but not something that doesnt mean anything at all.

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 182

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 13:40
carcass wrote:
I'm not fully convinced about B. I picked A and of course is wrong.

After several reflections I'm still not convinced about the OA

Further explanation:-
This choice doesn't weaken or strengthen the conclusion, as the percentage of occupancy does not tell us anything about avg time of post surgical recovery. Author's reasoning is focused around decline in average time of recovery. Just the fact that "the occupancy is less than 30%" doesn't help us to evaluate whether the choice supports or weakens author's claim. The occupancy might have increased from 20% to 25% OR decreased from 25% to 10%. It can go either way, but still remain under 30%. Hence this is the correct for "Weaken EXCEPT" type answer.

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

Expert Post

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 15:30
Expert's post
-- This choice weakens author's claim and states that operative/post-operative rates are most accurate indicators, NOT the recovery time.

so ?? our conclusion is

Clearly, the quality of operative and post-operative care is declining.

In weaken argument we have always something that explain another aspect related to the argument and ALWAYS out of scope in somehow. ALWAYS

here the only thing I read is .. rates are the most accurate indicators of quality of medical care, in which way ??

:roll:

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 182

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 16:42
carcass wrote:
-- This choice weakens author's claim and states that operative/post-operative rates are most accurate indicators, NOT the recovery time.

so ?? our conclusion is

Clearly, the quality of operative and post-operative care is declining.

In weaken argument we have always something that explain another aspect related to the argument and ALWAYS out of scope in somehow. ALWAYS

here the only thing I read is .. rates are the most accurate indicators of quality of medical care, in which way ??

:roll:

Little correction to my explanation
(A) This choice weakens author's claim and states that operative/post-operative mortality rates are most accurate indicators, NOT the recovery time. This weakens author's claim because author is focusing on factors those may not be true indicators of quality.

Thanks,
PraPon

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 19:50
Its "weaken Except " i.e Strengthen ,Neutral ,or OFS required in correct answer -

Conclusion The quality of operative and post-operative care is declining.

Only-B)Fewer than thirty percent of beds in the largest hospitals are occupied by patients recovering from surgery.- Irrelevant to conclusion
Expert Post

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 08:16
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 36

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 17:45
B seemed irrelevant so I chose that
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1199

Kudos [?]: 3214 [0], given: 179

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased th [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 21:43
Expert's post
SravnaTestPrep wrote:

I know the answer is supposed to be B and it is ok but Choice C also doesn't weaken the argument as it doesn't weaken the premise or the assumption. It just says something contrary to the conclusion of the author.

Just want to make a slight correction. (C) does weaken the conclusion. This is because if previously untreatable illnesses can be treated to major procedures then it is likely that these major procedures rather than a decline in the quality of post operative care is driving the increased post operative recovery time.

-Rajat

Free Webinar: August 03, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

VP
VP
Followers: 210

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2014, 01:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2014, 01:39