Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 15:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 160

Premium Member
Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 05:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:55) correct 56% (01:46) wrong based on 106 sessions
Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased the average time for recovery from medical operations. Compared to ten years ago, the average post-operative hospital stay for patients undergoing surgery at the ten largest hospitals has actually increased by four days. Although mortality rates for operative procedures are much lower, patients are requiring more time to recover from these procedures. Clearly, the quality of operative and post-operative care is declining. The medical community should be very concerned about this grave problem.

All of the following, if true, weaken the argument above EXCEPT:

A. Operative and post-operative mortality rates are the most accurate indicators of quality of medical care.
B. Fewer than thirty percent of beds in the largest hospitals are occupied by patients recovering from surgery.
C. In the past ten years, innovations have allowed previously inoperable conditions to be treated successfully by major surgery.
D. Every year, many surgical procedures that previously required hospital stays are simplified enough that they can safely be performed in outpatient clinics.
E. Average surgical recovery time, measured by hospital stay plus time spent disabled from normal activities at home, has decreased by twelve percent in the last ten years.

I could not decide between B & E. For option E, OE provided by Kaplan is as below:

Choice (E): is out of scope and directly contradicts the author's main evidence.

My question is if E is out of scope, then it doesn't weaken the argument and therefore should be come under 'if true, weaken the argument above EXCEPT'.

Please help with your explanations.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Ya E truly weakens the argument. It says...Average surgical recovery time, measured by hospital stay plus time spent disabled from normal activities at home, has decreased by twelve percent in the last ten years...

What it means? It means that previously patients had to rest at home for longer after surgery, but now they don't have to. It translates to the fact that quality of post surgical care has improved.

So ans should be B.

Posted from my mobile device Image

The First and Last time !!!

BKPL - Below Kudos Poverty Line .....Need your help.

2 KUDOS received
Neeley Thread Master
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [2] , given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
mba1382 wrote:
Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased the average time for recovery from medical operations. Compared to ten years ago, the average post-operative hospital stay for patients undergoing surgery at the ten largest hospitals has actually increased by four days. Although mortality rates for operative procedures are much lower, patients are requiring more time to recover from these procedures. Clearly, the quality of operative and post-operative care is declining. The medical community should be very concerned about this grave problem.

A. Operative and post-operative mortality rates are the most accurate indicators of quality of medical care.
B. Fewer than thirty percent of beds in the largest hospitals are occupied by patients recovering from surgery.
C. In the past ten years, innovations have allowed previously inoperable conditions to be treated successfully by major surgery.
D. Every year, many surgical procedures that previously required hospital stays are simplified enough that they can safely be performed in outpatient clinics.
E. Average surgical recovery time, measured by hospital stay plus time spent disabled from normal activities at home, has decreased by twelve percent in the last ten years.

I could not decide between B & E. For option E, OE provided by Kaplan is as below:

Choice (E): is out of scope and directly contradicts the author's main evidence.

My question is if E is out of scope, then it doesn't weaken the argument and therefore should be come under 'if true, weaken the argument above EXCEPT'.

Conclusion: Compared to ten years ago, the quality of operative and post-operative care is declining.

A: argument says mortality rates are lower and are most accurate indicators of quality of medical care. It means care is improving. ---- Weakens
C: Innovations allow previously inoperable conditions to be treated now. It means quality has improved. ----- Weakens
D: again complex surgical procedures are simplified to be carried out from clinics. Quality of medical care improved. ---- Weakens

E: Avg surgical recovery time (Time spent at hospital + Time spent disabled from doing normal activities at home) has decreased by 12%, implying that quality of medical care improved. ----- Weakens

Don't get bogged down by the info in the main arg that patients are taking longer time to recover at hospitals. Here, in this choice E, author introduces a new definition of avg recovery time, implying that the total recovery time has decreased over the past 10 years.

B: Fewer than 30% of beds are occupied in the largest hospitals by patients recovering from surgery CORRECT

Fewer than 30% of beds may be 1% or 29% - may turn out to be a negligible number or a significant number. We don't know.
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 18:45
Expert's post
Sounds like we made a typo in our explanation. Sorry for the inconvenience--I'll see about getting this fixed right away! Depending on where you found this problem, there should be an identification number at the bottom of the problem with instructions to forward questions to a Kaplan address--can you forward that ID number to my inbox?

Best,

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 19:12
Thanks for the explanation. I was really confused by the OE. :-)

StormedBrain wrote:
Ya E truly weakens the argument. It says...Average surgical recovery time, measured by hospital stay plus time spent disabled from normal activities at home, has decreased by twelve percent in the last ten years...

What it means? It means that previously patients had to rest at home for longer after surgery, but now they don't have to. It translates to the fact that quality of post surgical care has improved.

So ans should be B.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 19:15
Thanks for explanation Gian. Really helpful. :-)

Gian wrote:
mba1382 wrote:

Conclusion: Compared to ten years ago, the quality of operative and post-operative care is declining.

A: argument says mortality rates are lower and are most accurate indicators of quality of medical care. It means care is improving. ---- Weakens
C: Innovations allow previously inoperable conditions to be treated now. It means quality has improved. ----- Weakens
D: again complex surgical procedures are simplified to be carried out from clinics. Quality of medical care improved. ---- Weakens

E: Avg surgical recovery time (Time spent at hospital + Time spent disabled from doing normal activities at home) has decreased by 12%, implying that quality of medical care improved. ----- Weakens

Don't get bogged down by the info in the main arg that patients are taking longer time to recover at hospitals. Here, in this choice E, author introduces a new definition of avg recovery time, implying that the total recovery time has decreased over the past 10 years.

B: Fewer than 30% of beds are occupied in the largest hospitals by patients recovering from surgery CORRECT

Fewer than 30% of beds may be 1% or 29% - may turn out to be a negligible number or a significant number. We don't know.
Manager
Manager

Premium Member
Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 19:18
Thanks Eli for reaching out. :-)... I have sent a PM to you with ID of the question.

KapTeacherEli wrote:
Sounds like we made a typo in our explanation. Sorry for the inconvenience--I'll see about getting this fixed right away! Depending on where you found this problem, there should be an identification number at the bottom of the problem with instructions to forward questions to a Kaplan address--can you forward that ID number to my inbox?

Best,
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 14:58
Expert's post
mba1382 wrote:
Thanks Eli for reaching out. :-)... I have sent a PM to you with ID of the question.

KapTeacherEli wrote:

Best,

I'm drafting a new explanation right now, it will be up in a few days. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention--we're always looking to improve our offerings!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: Recent advances in surgical procedures have not decreased   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2013, 14:58