Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 3

Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2009, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:42) correct 44% (00:54) wrong based on 349 sessions
Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center ofthe Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

A. that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of
B. that a black hole lies at the Milky Way’s center and
C. that there is a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center an
D. of a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center and
E. of a black hole that lies at the center of the Milky Way and of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2273 [10] , given: 31

Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
venmic wrote:
can anyone explain detailed explanation for each of the ansvver choices please
Thanks

I am responding to a private message from venmic. I am happy to elaborate on this. :-)

Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.
(A) that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of
(B) that a black hole lies at the Milky Way’s center and
(C) that there is a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center and
(D) of a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center and
(E) of a black hole that lies at the center of the Milky Way and of

Rather that pick through each answer one at a time, let's attack this strategically, looking at splits. See this blog for more on this strategy:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-sente ... trategies/

The first split is "that" vs. "of" at the very beginning. The phrase "a theory that A did B" is idiomatically correct. The phrase "a theory of A doing B" is inferior --- this construction will not be correct on the GMAT. Right away, (D) & (E) are out.

The phrase "a black hole lies ...." is active and direct, just what the GMAT likes --- we see this in (A) & (B). Meanwhile, (C) has the abominably indirect monstrosity "there is a black hole lying ...." On the GMAT SC, any time you have a choice of "[noun] [verb]" vs. "there is a [noun] [participle]", then every single time, the first will be correct and the second will be wrong. Here, we can eliminate (C) on these grounds.

Finally, we have the complex parallel construction at the end of the sentence:

....lies at the center
// of the Milky Way
and
// of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

We need these to prepositions in parallel --- we are talking about something at the center of both the Milky Way and other galaxies. That means we must construct the first part in parallel ---- so "Milky Way's center" is wrong because it violates the parallelism. We need "of the Milky Way and of" at the end of the underlined section, to complete the parallelism correct. Only (A) & (E) do this correctly, but we have already eliminated (E) for other reasons.

This leaves (A) as the only possible answer.

Does this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [3] , given: 11

Re: black hole [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 04:42
This post received
KUDOS
ritjn2003 wrote:
Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the
universe.
A. that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of
C. that there is a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center an
E. of a black hole that lies at the center of the Milky Way
and of

D & E out - Meaning changed

C out - passive voice

B can be elimiated cause the first part of the sentece that says 'that a black hole lies at the Milky Way’s center' is perfect but the second half ' Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies' tends to change the meaning.

Lets simplify this -
A - black hole lies at the center of X and of Y
B - Black hole lies at the X's center and Y

A can be selected as a better bet.

Please post the OA.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 09:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A. that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of------ best answer maintaining //ism

B. that a black hole lies at the Milky Way’s center and ----- the dangling phrase after the fanboy ‘and’ does not go in tandem with the clause before the conjunction

C. that there is a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center and ------same non-//ism as in B

D. of a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s center and --- reported findings are best introduced by a relative clause using - that -use of prepositional phrase of a black hole is unidiomatic

E. of a black hole that lies at the center of the Milky Way and of --- same mistake as in D

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2273 [1] , given: 31

Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sujit2k7 wrote:
Just a quick query Club members and Gurus ;
Let's say the Recent findings lend to two things
1) a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way
2) many of the 100 billion other galaxies exist in the universe(I have modified the sentence , now we have a verb rather than verb-ed modifier )
In this case do we need to repeat the THAT in each part.
"theory that A and that B" or "theory that And B " which is correct.. [ both A,B are independent of each other]

Dear Sujit2k7
It's not a hard and fast rule, but typically "that" clauses are long enough that it makes sense to use two separate "that" clauses simply for rhetorical clarity. It's not grammatically wrong to say "I think that P and Q", but because P & Q are probably relatively long clauses, having a second "that" will just make the overall sentence structure much clearer. The GMAT absolutely will not test this particular point on the Sentence Correction.
BTW, if you're interested, here's a blog on talking about beliefs -----
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-idiom ... ieve-that/
Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2273 [1] , given: 31

Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
doe007 wrote:
I completely agree with the reasons on why options B, C, D, and E are incorrect. However, I am unable to understand the original sentence itself.

If the sentence were "Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies.", I would have agreed that the parallelism is maintained (thought I would never understand how one black hole can lie at the center of the Milky Way and at the center of many of the 100 billion other galaxies at the same time :) -- each of the galaxies can have a separate black hole of its own -- presence of "a" before "black hole" has created an absurd theory!).

However, the original sentence structure is:
..... a BH lies at the center of the X and of Y estimated to exist in the universe.
What is "estimated to exist in the universe" -- answer is "100 billion other galaxies" which is a part of Y. Thus "the Milky Way" is not parallel to "many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe".

I am not able to find any sensible meaning of the sentence. Any help on this will be appreciated. I tried to find the source of the question, but could not find anywhere. I doubt whether this question is from any reputable source and worth brainstorming!

Dear doe007,

Consider the sentence ---
I would like to drive the car of my neighbor and the car of each one of his friends.
Admittedly, not a gem of rhetoric, but grammatically correct. Well, the underlined cars are in parallel, and in parallel, we are allowed to drop common elements, which omission would shorten the sentence to
I would like to drive the car of my neighbor and of each one of his friends.
This sentence, slightly better though still not ideal, is also grammatically correct. Notice, this sentence in no way implies that there is only one car, shared by neighbor & friends alike ---- rather, it quite clearly implies: my neighbor has one car, and each one of his friends has one car, and I want to drive all these cars (presumably not all at once).

Similarly, with the sentence:
Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies.
A perfectly good, perfectly clear sentence, both grammatically and logically correct. Consider the expanded version -----
Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and that a black hole lies at the center of many of the 100 billion other galaxies.
This version is far less economical, and therefore more awkward and clunky, but it makes more explicit the parallelism. This sentence says there is "a black hole" at the center of the Milky Way, and if we went to interview every other galaxy in the Universe (all 10^11 of them, admittedly, a large task!), then if we asked the spokesman of each galaxy, "Does your galaxy have a black hole at its center", the answer for the majority would be "Yes, we have a black hole at the center of our galaxy." The word "each" might have made this a shade more clear, but really it's perfectly clear from both versions above. The fact that "a black hole at the center" is a condition true for the majority of galaxies in now way implies that it is the same black hole. You are not reading the parallelism properly.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: black hole [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 02:26
Option B

Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the Milky Way’s center and many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 106

Re: black hole [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 05:45
I think it should be between C and D

estimated to exist is the participle phrase modifier
lying at the Milky Way’s center is also a participle phrase modifier and parallel to above.

Confused but IMO D looks better.
D implies theory 'of a black hole (modifier) and many of the 100 billion other galaxies (modifier)'

Any taker?

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 11

Re: black hole [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 05:52
sudeep wrote:

lying at the Milky Way’s center is also a participle phrase modifier and parallel to above.

D implies theory 'of a black hole (modifier) and many of the 100 billion other galaxies (modifier)'

Any taker?

'Theory of blackhole' could ludicrously mean that the blackhole postulated the theory.

Just think about it again.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 106

Re: black hole [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 01:28
hasham222 wrote:
sudeep wrote:

Any taker?

'Theory of blackhole' could ludicrously mean that the blackhole postulated the theory.

Just think about it again.

Ya! It is changing the meaning.
A seems fine.

But does "Theory of X" implies theory postulated by X.
We use 'Theory of relativity'
Can someone enlighten me please?

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: black hole [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 03:19
went for A also, interested in OA
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: black hole [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 03:42
OA is A
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Re: black hole [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 05:27
ritjn2003 wrote:
Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a
black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of many
of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the
universe.
A. that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way
and of
C. that there is a black hole lying at the Milky Way’s
center an
E. of a black hole that lies at the center of the Milky Way
and of

left with A and B .. I am not sure how to eliminate the wrong option here?

in A 'Milky Way and of' sounds wierd to me ... can some one explain the use of 'of' at the end?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: black hole [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 13:42
OA is A.
Could anybody elaborate on this a bit?
Thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: black hole [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 10:31
noboru wrote:
OA is A.
Could anybody elaborate on this a bit?
Thanks

could anybody clarify between A and B?
thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 38

Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 03:13
I also got it Wrong I went with D
Could any expert reply to this question.
If it changes the meaning please could you elaborate on how does it changes the meaning.
Thanks

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 36

Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 02:58
My take : Option A

D & E are out for the above mentioned reasons..

Usage of 'and' compels us to maintain d parallelism..

It is not only at the center of Milky Way but also at the center of other galaxies in d universe.. So 'center of' should be there and goes well with A..

Hope it helps..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 97

Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 14:19
can anyone explain detailed explanation for each of the ansvver choices please

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 103

Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 23:48
Just a quick query Club members and Gurus ;
Let's say the Recent findings lend to two things
1) a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way
2) many of the 100 billion other galaxies exist in the universe(I have modified the sentence , now we have a verb rather than verb-ed modifier )

In this case do we need to repeat the THAT in each part.
"theory that A and that B" or "theory that And B " which is correct.. [ both A,B are independent of each other]

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 70

Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 05:19
I completely agree with the reasons on why options B, C, D, and E are incorrect. However, I am unable to understand the original sentence itself.

If the sentence were "Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a black hole lies at the center of the Milky Way and of many of the 100 billion other galaxies.", I would have agreed that the parallelism is maintained (thought I would never understand how one black hole can lie at the center of the Milky Way and at the center of many of the 100 billion other galaxies at the same time :) -- each of the galaxies can have a separate black hole of its own -- presence of "a" before "black hole" has created an absurd theory!).

However, the original sentence structure is:
..... a BH lies at the center of the X and of Y estimated to exist in the universe.
What is "estimated to exist in the universe" -- answer is "100 billion other galaxies" which is a part of Y. Thus "the Milky Way" is not parallel to "many of the 100 billion other galaxies estimated to exist in the universe".

I am not able to find any sensible meaning of the sentence. Any help on this will be appreciated.

I tried to find the source of the question, but could not find anywhere. I doubt whether this question is from any reputable source and worth brainstorming!
Re: Recent findings lend strong support to the theory that a   [#permalink] 09 May 2013, 05:19