Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent GMAT trends in quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SigEp
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Recent GMAT trends in quant [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 10:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I have started reviewing the GMAT Math book posted here:
gmat-math-book-87417.html

In order to avoid scouring hundreds of debriefs, I am looking for advice on which topics come up more frequently (1 permutation problem versus 10 geometry problems). I definitely understand that each test is completely different, however I do think there is room for some advice on which subjects are more regularly tested.

Here is one attempt from MGMAT back in 2007:
http://www.manhattanreview.com/students ... 007-09-24/

Does anyone have insight into which topics are covered more frequently? I am using this to focus my quant preparation effectively.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Recent GMAT trends in quant [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 10:48
i took two tests and got 48/49 on quants. I can tell you that for me I saw maybe 3 total perm/comb on the test. Also, if you read many study guides they say perm/comb comes up as difficult ques so if you see them you are doing well. For quant you should at least study rates, inequalities, number properties and geometry. I can almost guarantee you will see at least 1 question on:
1. cars/train/people going toward/away from eachother
2. some sort of mixture/ratio - Nancy takes 5 marble and gives to tom, now what's their ratio?
3. triangle properties - know your 45/45/90 and 30/60/90.
4. circle - know that almost all traingles inside a circle drawn are isoceles since two of the sides are radius
5. negative signs - mostly comes in as inequality or some sort of DS like "find X"

there's more but unless you are pressing for time you should at least go over all the topics just to be refreshed. If you really want to skip i would suggest perm/comb...

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager

Re: Recent GMAT trends in quant [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 13:16
This is basically what I was getting at but I'm still looking for examples..

550-to-690-to-750-my-key-points-for-gmat-success-91926.html

[quote2risys82]Don't focus on extremely tough or out of the ordinary questions
Yes, it is good to gain an understanding of every question type if you have the time and capability to do so. However, I found it unnecessary if your goal is to simply achieve a score of 700+ (as opposed to 770). Like some have mentioned, it is best to focus on the MAJOR fundamentals and questions where you are required to apply these fundamentals. The most important questions to know are the ones where you see the concepts repeatedly in many other OFFICIAL questions. Example would be just know how to do the most extreme basic of combination or permutation questions, not all the various more complicated variations. Any question that you come across that is testing some obscure concept that you never seen tested in any other question is probably not worth your time getting more than a basic understanding of.[/quote2]

Does anyone have examples of the types of questions he is talking about omitting?
I don't have the MGMAT guide to know what he's talking about and I understand I need to know the fundamentals but for instance, what type of geometry problems are extremely obscure in the sub-700 level questions.. (e.g. area of a sphere?)

[quote2risys82]Identifying odd or overly difficult questions
I mention above to not focus on overly difficult questions. So how do you apply the above? Well, this one kind of comes with experience, once you have already spent some considerable time studying. Some have asked whether I simply ignored the tough questions (i.e. the ones at the end) in the OG books. The answer is no. First of all, I did every question in OG 11 and 12 on my first run through the book. By the time I was had gone through all the questions, as well as reviewed MGMAT sample questions, I kind of had an idea which concepts were frequently tested. Therefore, I ignored any advanced questions that appeared to be odd. When you see such a question, you have to ask yourself, have I seen this concept(s) tested in other official questions before. If you cannot think of seeing the odd concept tested in at least one other question during your studies then I would potentially ignore the question in future study sessions (i.e. don't bother wasting your time putting it on your error log, or whatever other method used, for future review). Chances are you've sunk enough time into that question already and it is not worth it. Also noting that advanced questions usually test multiple concepts, you have to ask whether there is a mix of good foundational concepts, and maybe one concept that is an oddity, making the question advanced and difficult. If this is the case, I would not bother focusing on the odd concept, but still note the other concepts tested. I don't remember the exact number, but I think I deemed about 10%-20% of the OG "hard" questions as testing odd concepts that would not be worth putting in the error log for later review.[/quote2]

Can anyone explain which 'concept(s)' he is referring to? I've been through the thread and am not specifically looking for those that HE thinks are the ones to be skipped, looking more for a general consensus on the trends noticed by the members here.

I'm having a hard time relaying this question in a concise manner, however I do believe this will greatly impact what I spend time focusing on.
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Recent GMAT trends in quant [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 05:04
do you have a short time to study for quant? the questions are picked randomly so theres no exact science to try to play the system. Just study everything - you dont want to study some parts and then regret and retake...

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Recent GMAT trends in quant [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 05:49
well it too late for cramming now... last thing you want is to overload your brain.. just go over basics and good luck..

Manager
Manager

Re: Recent GMAT trends in quant [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 08:27
shaselai wrote:
well it too late for cramming now... last thing you want is to overload your brain.. just go over basics and good luck..

I have been studying for a few months now, I don't want anyone to perceive me as the guy who just showed up and is hoping for a miracle. I'm looking for a way to focus my head and spend my time efficiently during my my last stand.

EDIT: Similar link --> trouble-with-quant-some-tips-traps-that-might-help-you-34329.html
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Recent GMAT trends in quant [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2010, 10:38
well if you have been studying for months you shouldve had time to study all aspects of the quant so it really doesnt matter what the trend is.....

Re: Recent GMAT trends in quant   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2010, 10:38