Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent indications of weakness in the economy have led

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Recent indications of weakness in the economy have led [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 19:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Recent indications of weakness in the economy have led consumers to be more conservative with their purchases; so depressed have sales figures been as a result that the government has launched several initiatives to actively encourage consumer spending.

A
B the sales figures have been so depressed as a result that
C as a result, so depressed has the sales been that
D the resulting sales figures having been so depressed that
E the sales figures have been so depressed that, as a result,

Please explain your answer.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Flagging Economy [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 20:47
cindyn wrote:
Recent indications of weakness in the economy have led consumers to be more conservative with their purchases; so depressed have sales figures been as a result that the government has launched several initiatives to actively encourage consumer spending.

A
E the sales figures have been so depressed that, as a result

idiom: so ... that
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 21:18
A bit weired type.

I'll go with "A" for "so...that"

Other choices have awkward placement of "as a result" (except in "C" but "C" didn't sound good)
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 21:30
cindyn wrote:

A

imo, "as a result" in A is misplaced. also it creats confusion about the correct idiom. there are two idioms:

so ... as .... that. this is incorrect.
so ... that. always correct.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 21:41
Professor wrote:
cindyn wrote:

A

imo, "as a result" in A is misplaced. also it creats confusion about the correct idiom. there are two idioms:

I agree that correct idiom is "so X that Y" but IMO in "A", X = "depressed have sales figures been as a result ", we can't separate out "as".

If we put, "as a result" after "that" it seems to modify "Y". We need "as a result" to modify the first sentence of the SC.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 21:53
vivek123 wrote:
Professor wrote:
cindyn wrote:

A

I agree that correct idiom is "so X that Y" but IMO in "A", X = "depressed have sales figures been as a result ", we can't separate out "as".

If we put, "as a result" after "that" it seems to modify "Y". We need "as a result" to modify the first sentence of the SC.

this question is trying to test the "so abundant has been ....." question from OG. but imo in A, "as a result" is misplaced and it should be placed after that and seperated by coma so that the stress is applied to mean "so x that y".

in A "as a result" is unnecessary inserted between so and that which is totally wrong.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 22:09
Hmmm...looks like the way we are treating the "as a result" should be used is different. I will stick with "A" for now, since I find it better than rest. Anyway, I wouldn't have been able to answer this question in 2 mins ;)

Is this from OG?
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 23:31
I could see both Vivek and Professor's arguments.

However, I chose C at first glance. Can 'sales figures' be depressed or is it the actual 'sales' that is depressed? Kind of ambiguous, it could go either way I guess.

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2006, 23:38
Gud discussion professor n vivek.

as a result is intended to be used for one of the 2 purposes..

1)sales figure have been so depressed as a result of the conservativeness of the consumers that the govt has....
2)sales figure have been so depressing that, as a result , govt has announced.

At the first look , I thought E to be the answer.
but it seems as a result suits more in the 1) scenario(above)

so A n B...seem to be the 2 choices...of which B looks better than A, IMO

Someone else please explain....
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 May 2006, 03:33
The OA is A
Thanks for the explanations.
This is from Kaplan 800.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2006, 04:35
cindyn wrote:
The OA is A
Thanks for the explanations.
This is from Kaplan 800.

if the question were from OG, i understand it would be correct. if it isnot from OG, it can easily be disputed. So OA could be wrong.

for me, "as a result" intrudes the idiom "so x that y" in A. If you say A is OA/correct, why B is incorrect? A and B are gramatically almost similar.

lets see any expert view??????????????????/

Quote:

A
E the sales figures have been so depressed that, as a result
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 May 2006, 06:11
The OE in Kaplan is that the modifier "as a result" should be closer to the sales figure slump which aligns with vivek123's explanation.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2006, 20:22
cindyn wrote:
The OE in Kaplan is that the modifier "as a result" should be closer to the sales figure slump which aligns with vivek123's explanation.

what kaplan (TPR as well) says is not important cuz kaplan and TPR have many ambigious and flaw approaches. as i said earlier, "as a result" in A intrudes the correct idiom "so x that y".

how do you say in A that the idiom is "so that". if you say A is correct how do you say B is incorrect?

according to the OE you have OAs are A and B which is absurd.

only E stands.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2006, 20:33
C should be the answer.
A is not clear why the sales figure are down.
B same problem
D/E bad construction
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2006, 21:10
I think we are wasting time in such SCs :) It's better not to break head in such SCs & just follow what OG says. But as far as this SC is concerned I would still check "A" in the exam & go away. I see it as "the better choice".
VP
VP
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2006, 21:19
Yeah this one is pretty convoluted :oops:

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2006, 04:30
vivek123 wrote:
I think we are wasting time in such SCs :) It's better not to break head in such SCs & just follow what OG says. But as far as this SC is concerned I would still check "A" in the exam & go away. I see it as "the better choice".

why do you think that way? if a person like you, who is really briliiant and has a very good grasp of gmat matters, says that its a wasting a time :?:, then who is going to clearify the ambiguious questions such as this one?

moreover, we all are open to put our views no matter wrong or right. i might be wrong, but i like to put (waste) my views (times) :wink: .

if you still say A is correct, how do you say that B is incorrect?

your expertism is highly awaited and appreciated.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2006, 06:47
Professor wrote:
vivek123 wrote:

why do you think that way? if a person like you, who is really briliiant and has a very good grasp of gmat matters, says that its a wasting a time :?:, then who is going to clearify the ambiguious questions such as this one?

moreover, we all are open to put our views no matter wrong or right. i might be wrong, but i like to put (waste) my views (times) :wink: .

if you still say A is correct, how do you say that B is incorrect?

your expertism is highly awaited and appreciated.

:lol: Thanks for encouraging but I'm poor in grammar, I just follow some standard GMAT techniques or believe my ears ;) I said it's like wasting time, since you were right that such things can be disputed. If we believe particular thing is wrong, just forget it, as long as it's not official guide, I don't think it will add any value. That was the only point I had.

Also, I think, such SCs are tough, because there are no usual GMAT pattern problems, grammatically more than one choice looks correct, at this point I just believe my ears & sometimes it proves correct ;) like in this case.

IMO, there is absolutely no problem with the idiom usage "so X that Y". My ears like "A" over all other choices! :lol: I'm really sorry for not providing any grammatical tips. Probably, somebody else like Paul can add something...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 May 2006, 07:33
Don't have faith in the OA suggested, this is a clear E.

Second you prof!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2006, 08:06
Agree with Vivek's explanation.
See nothing wrong with A. In this sentence , sales figures been as a result comes in one block, following idiom so.. that..

In E, as a result placement is a bit awkward and A is a better fit.
  [#permalink] 02 May 2006, 08:06