Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent psychological studies indicate that if children

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 1

Recent psychological studies indicate that if children [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 11:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Recent psychological studies indicate that if children associate with and play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than children that lead relatively isolated lives.

(A) play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than

(B) play with other children, they experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than do

(C) played with other children, they experienced fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than will

(D) play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop more quickly socially than do

(E) played with other children, they have experienced fewer psychological problems and have developed more quickly socially than do

The OA is D, but I chose B. Would someone please explain the difference between "develop quicker" and "develop more quickly"? My confusion between these 2 led me to the wrong answer. So I will really appreciate it if someone can shed some lights here.

Thanks!
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Comparison [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 12:04
tarek99 wrote:
Recent psychological studies indicate that if children associate with and play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than children that lead relatively isolated lives.

(A) play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than

(B) play with other children, they experience fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than do

(C) played with other children, they experienced fewer psychological problems and develop quicker socially than will

(D) play with other children, they will experience fewer psychological problems and develop more quickly socially than do

(E) played with other children, they have experienced fewer psychological problems and have developed more quickly socially than do

The OA is D, but I chose B. Would someone please explain the difference between "develop quicker" and "develop more quickly"? My confusion between these 2 led me to the wrong answer. So I will really appreciate it if someone can shed some lights here.

Thanks!

If clause is in present tense so conditional clause needs will + base verb

A & D remain.

In A, the experience and the development are compared to children.

In D, experience and development of children is compared to the same.
SVP
SVP

Re: SC: Comparison [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 14:03
icandy wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

Thanks!

If clause is in present tense so conditional clause needs will + base verb

A & D remain.

In A, the experience and the development are compared to children.

In D, experience and development of children is compared to the same.

I need to add something to your explanation of the if clause. What you said is correct, but it is not always valid. What you said is true when some sort of decision is involved, this is called real conditional. However, when you are stating a pure fact, you do not need the "will," this is called zero conditional. Let me give you an example:

1) Phosphorus burns if you expose it to the air

As you can see, we haven't used "will" because we are stating a pure fact.

As for the explanation regarding "quicker" or "more quicker", this is what the OE says:

The rule for Comparisons is that the comparison must be of comparable items and must be balanced.
In this case the comparison ‘quicker than’ could only apply to the children.
It would refer to their speed.
This is not the intent of the sentence.
The correct comparison should compare the development of the children.
Therefore the correct comparison should be ‘more quickly than’

However, to me, "more quickly" or "quicker" means the same thing so I'm still lost and can't differentiate their logical meaning. I would need your help in clarifying it!
thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Comparison [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 14:12
tarek99 wrote:

Thanks!

"quick" is an adjective, and you use adjective before a noun or you use adjective with the verd "to be". For example, you can say "she is quick" or "it was a quick decision". "Quickly" is an adverb and you use adverb to modify a verb. For example, you have to say "she ran quickly to the store" (not "she ran quick to the store").
The comparison form of "quick" is "quicker", and of "quickly" is "more quickly".
For the question above, because you have the verb "develop", you know for sure that "quickly" must be used (to modify the verb "develop") instead of "quick". And in this case, when you want to use the comparison form of "quickly", you will have to use "develop more quickly".
Hope this helps.
SVP
SVP

Re: SC: Comparison [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 14:42
nganle08 wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

Thanks!

"quick" is an adjective, and you use adjective before a noun or you use adjective with the verd "to be". For example, you can say "she is quick" or "it was a quick decision". "Quickly" is an adverb and you use adverb to modify a verb. For example, you have to say "she ran quickly to the store" (not "she ran quick to the store").
The comparison form of "quick" is "quicker", and of "quickly" is "more quickly".
For the question above, because you have the verb "develop", you know for sure that "quickly" must be used (to modify the verb "develop") instead of "quick". And in this case, when you want to use the comparison form of "quickly", you will have to use "develop more quickly".
Hope this helps.

beautiful! you've nailed my issue exactly on the right spot. Now I understand it perfectly well.
thanks a lot! I really appreciate it :-D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Comparison [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 14:50
tarek99 wrote:
nganle08 wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

Thanks!

Hope this helps.

beautiful! you've nailed my issue exactly on the right spot. Now I understand it perfectly well.
thanks a lot! I really appreciate it :-D

You are welcome. I am happy that I can be of some help.
SVP
SVP

Re: SC: Comparison [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 01:21
no, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the above problem is not a real conditional. It is a real conditional because children have to take some sort of decision before the result happens. What I meant from my given example was to show that zero conditionals, or just pure fact, do exist as well. When a statement of fact, which doesn't require the use of "will", shows up on a question, you do not need to include the "will." That was all my point. Hope I didn't cause any confusion here.
regards,
Re: SC: Comparison   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2008, 01:21