Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent research has indicated that married people are not

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 02:54
I d go with D....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 13:13
D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 06:46
I used POE.

(A) The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.
Out of scope. Length of marriage is not relevant.

(B) Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple
Out of scope. Who cares about the size of weddings?

(C) Married people cannot get depressed.
Cannot is a strong word. Out.

(D) Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.
Only this is remaining.

(E) Some marriages are more harmonious than others.
Out of scope.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 07:33
Except D all other options are hyperbole.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 07:52
good explanation! I went with D also, but by process of elimination. Couldn't quite get the reasoning.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 09:02
good one..answer is D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Stockholm School of Economics (MSc Finance) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 09:03
D fits best
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 16:59
Good question..chose C at first..!
Very nice explanations guys..

Fight till you succeed like a gladiator..or doom your life which can be invincible

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 06:42
D for me too

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 04:37
The author cites a correlation between marriage and conditions like happiness and health , and concludes that marriage leads to happiness and health. Hence he’s assuming that the causation doesn’t run the other way.

squeakvm

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 109

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 07:32
+1 D

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: Recent research has indicated that married people are not [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 06:16
Unwaveringly D. Broken down, D says that marriage is not undertaken only by healthy and non-depressed people but that sad and sickly souls are as likely to get hitched as their jolly contemporaries. Therefore marriage is not dominated by already pre-marriage happy people, but rather it is the institution of marriage which bestows healthy and cheery dispositions to those who enter it. This assumption effectively rules out a consideration that opposes the argument that marriage brings happiness and health.

Cheers.

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '15
GMAT 1: Q33 V27
GPA: 2.92
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 61

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2012, 08:29
bsd_lover wrote:
OE:
Research indicates that there is a connection between being married and being happy and healthy. Media commentators have concluded that marriage causes happiness and health. However, one could reasonably conclude from the research that the cause and effect are the reverse: being happy and healthy makes a person more likely to get married.

(A) The research compared married people to unmarried people. Neither the researchers nor the media commentators made any distinction between newlyweds and those who had been married a long time, so this assumption is not necessary.

(B) The type of wedding is outside the scope of this argument. The research compared married people to unmarried people, but made no distinction based upon the type of wedding. Thus, this assumption is unnecessary.

(C) At first, this statement may seem necessary—after all, if the commentators conclude that marriage causes happiness, a lack of depression in married people would certainly support that conclusion. However, the statement is too extreme. One depressed married person does not invalidate the research indicating that, on average, married people are healthier and happier than non-married people.

(D) CORRECT. This statement eliminates the alternative interpretation of the research findings—that being happy and healthy makes a person more likely to get married.

(E) The research compared married people to unmarried people. Neither the researchers nor the media commentators made any distinction between harmonious marriages and combative marriages, so this assumption is not necessary.

But per Power Score's Assumption negation technique, Option C hold so true.
Per rule, we remove a "not" in the sentence. Then option C becomes,
"Married people can get depressed. "

Which actually hurts the argument and must therefore be the right answer.
Isn't the answer choices are ambiguous here?
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 17:40
atey2010 wrote:
My approach to CR question is first to determine the flaw in the argument (if the stimulus is an argument as oppose to statement of fact). Especially with an assumption question, the argument is most likely to be flaw. For instance, in this question, the flaw is correlation an causation. The commentator claims that just because there is a correlation between marriage and happiness + health benefits, you can conclude that marriage is good for your health and mental attitude.

As for me, I was down between C and D as well.

Answer choice D is correct because address this flaw in a very sneaky way. Choice D address this correlation and causation issue by eliminating the possibility that depression and health issue is actually causing people to NOT get married by saying that
" Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people."

If we negate answer choice D, then we'll see that the conclusion above does not hold. If we negate choice D, we'll get "Single people with depression or health problems are NOT AS LIKELY to get married as are other single people." This show that there are actually a reverse correlation between marriage and depression.

Answer choice C: is incorrect because as stated earlier, if we negate C. The conclusion still holds. This example might help for those of us who still think C is correct. What if I say that running 10 mile is a good for your cardio and fat loss, and some body (answer choice C) argues that runners cannot get fat, would this weakened my argument above. This is very similar to answer C on the question, just because you get married that doesn't mean that you will never be depressed. You might be happily marry for en year and then one day you found out that your husband or wife had an affair with your best friend. Furthermore, both of your parents are suffering from brain tumor. Any reasonable person would be depressed.

hi..

thanks for the OE..but i think the options here need to be reframed. In the question it mentions about Married men and Unmarried men. Option D says about Single men. Single men and Unmarried men cannot be always the same. So option D can also be striked out because of using something out of the context of the question. Please correct me if i am wrong! :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q V
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2014, 07:12
But per Power Score's Assumption negation technique, Option C hold so true.
Per rule, we remove a "not" in the sentence. Then option C becomes,
"Married people can get depressed. "

Which actually hurts the argument and must therefore be the right answer.
Isn't the answer choices are ambiguous here?[/quote]

As per the negation technique "married men can get depressed"... this somewhat weakens the argument but does not make it fall apart altogether. Even if some of the married men get depressed it might be due many factors some of which might not be related to the married life... maybe due to illness or something...
Its is like someone in the post above said that if running helps in cardio and weight loss.... that does not leads to further comment that people who run cannot get fat... same line of reasoning goes in this also.
Re: CR - Marital bliss   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2014, 07:12