Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 05:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent research has indicated that married people are not

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Recent research has indicated that married people are not [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 18:31
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (01:47) correct 46% (00:46) wrong based on 352 sessions
Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier. This study has been widely reported by the media, with most commentators concluding that being married is good for one’s health and attitude.

The conclusion of the media commentators depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.
(B) Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple
(C) Married people cannot get depressed.
(D) Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.
(E) Some marriages are more harmonious than others.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 19:29
This post received
KUDOS
bsd_lover wrote:
Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier. This study has been widely reported by the media, with most commentators concluding that being married is good for one’s health and attitude.

The conclusion of the media commentators depends on which of the following assumptions?

A The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.

B Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple

C Married people cannot get depressed.

D Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.

E Some marriages are more harmonious than others.

D

The argument assumes that getting married improved one's health. However, if single people with depression don't marry because of depression itself, then this suggests that depression itself is the actual cause of single people not getting marry.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 19:32
bsd_lover wrote:

A The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.

B Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple

C Married people cannot get depressed.

D Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.

E Some marriages are more harmonious than others.

C for me!
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 19:55
C for me too...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
on 2nd pass D does look good too..

so debating between C and D...

if C is not true would the argument hold? yeah..it still does..argument doesnt say anything about long term affects of marriage..maybe later they get depressed who knows..

D says everyone has an equal oppurtunity to get married and be happy..if this werent true i think the argument falls apart..

D it is..
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 326

Kudos [?]: 1574 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 30 May 2008, 20:09
Expert's post
I thinks that it is D.

In order to make such conclusion the author has to assume that "marriage" is a cause of "be happier and healthier" but not a sequence. People with depression or health problems might be reluctant to get marriage. If so, "marriage" is a effect.

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 15:57
OA - D. Anyone want the full OE ?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 17:52
bsd_lover wrote:
OA - D. Anyone want the full OE ?

I need the OE! :-D
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 18:24
I really really did not get this.
Badly need OE. :(
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 408 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 19:43
This post received
KUDOS
OE:
Research indicates that there is a connection between being married and being happy and healthy. Media commentators have concluded that marriage causes happiness and health. However, one could reasonably conclude from the research that the cause and effect are the reverse: being happy and healthy makes a person more likely to get married.

(A) The research compared married people to unmarried people. Neither the researchers nor the media commentators made any distinction between newlyweds and those who had been married a long time, so this assumption is not necessary.

(B) The type of wedding is outside the scope of this argument. The research compared married people to unmarried people, but made no distinction based upon the type of wedding. Thus, this assumption is unnecessary.

(C) At first, this statement may seem necessary—after all, if the commentators conclude that marriage causes happiness, a lack of depression in married people would certainly support that conclusion. However, the statement is too extreme. One depressed married person does not invalidate the research indicating that, on average, married people are healthier and happier than non-married people.

(D) CORRECT. This statement eliminates the alternative interpretation of the research findings—that being happy and healthy makes a person more likely to get married.

(E) The research compared married people to unmarried people. Neither the researchers nor the media commentators made any distinction between harmonious marriages and combative marriages, so this assumption is not necessary.
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 31 May 2008, 20:29
very good hehe :)
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
My approach to CR question is first to determine the flaw in the argument (if the stimulus is an argument as oppose to statement of fact). Especially with an assumption question, the argument is most likely to be flaw. For instance, in this question, the flaw is correlation an causation. The commentator claims that just because there is a correlation between marriage and happiness + health benefits, you can conclude that marriage is good for your health and mental attitude.

As for me, I was down between C and D as well.

Answer choice D is correct because address this flaw in a very sneaky way. Choice D address this correlation and causation issue by eliminating the possibility that depression and health issue is actually causing people to NOT get married by saying that
" Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people."

If we negate answer choice D, then we'll see that the conclusion above does not hold. If we negate choice D, we'll get "Single people with depression or health problems are NOT AS LIKELY to get married as are other single people." This show that there are actually a reverse correlation between marriage and depression.

Answer choice C: is incorrect because as stated earlier, if we negate C. The conclusion still holds. This example might help for those of us who still think C is correct. What if I say that running 10 mile is a good for your cardio and fat loss, and some body (answer choice C) argues that runners cannot get fat, would this weakened my argument above. This is very similar to answer C on the question, just because you get married that doesn't mean that you will never be depressed. You might be happily marry for en year and then one day you found out that your husband or wife had an affair with your best friend. Furthermore, both of your parents are suffering from brain tumor. Any reasonable person would be depressed.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 11:32
thanks atey... great first post:)

I had a hard time figuring out between C/D....

atey2010 wrote:
My approach to CR question is first to determine the flaw in the argument (if the stimulus is an argument as oppose to statement of fact). Especially with an assumption question, the argument is most likely to be flaw. For instance, in this question, the flaw is correlation an causation. The commentator claims that just because there is a correlation between marriage and happiness + health benefits, you can conclude that marriage is good for your health and mental attitude.

As for me, I was down between C and D as well.

Answer choice D is correct because address this flaw in a very sneaky way. Choice D address this correlation and causation issue by eliminating the possibility that depression and health issue is actually causing people to NOT get married by saying that
" Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people."

If we negate answer choice D, then we'll see that the conclusion above does not hold. If we negate choice D, we'll get "Single people with depression or health problems are NOT AS LIKELY to get married as are other single people." This show that there are actually a reverse correlation between marriage and depression.

Answer choice C: is incorrect because as stated earlier, if we negate C. The conclusion still holds. This example might help for those of us who still think C is correct. What if I say that running 10 mile is a good for your cardio and fat loss, and some body (answer choice C) argues that runners cannot get fat, would this weakened my argument above. This is very similar to answer C on the question, just because you get married that doesn't mean that you will never be depressed. You might be happily marry for en year and then one day you found out that your husband or wife had an affair with your best friend. Furthermore, both of your parents are suffering from brain tumor. Any reasonable person would be depressed.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 17:36
I like your reasoning. 8-) Awesome interpretation of "just as likely to get married "

A, B, C, E -> even when you negate them the argument wouldn't fall apart.

FN wrote:
on 2nd pass D does look good too..

so debating between C and D...

if C is not true would the argument hold? yeah..it still does..argument doesnt say anything about long term affects of marriage..maybe later they get depressed who knows..

D says everyone has an equal oppurtunity to get married and be happy..if this werent true i think the argument falls apart..

D it is..

Please press kudos if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 20:32
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks pranrasvij & nusmavrik. If you have any more questions, shoot me a message. I'm pretty solid on CR and RC. But I still have some problems with the grammar part esp. the idioms stuff. I argue that the American idiom grammar section is unfair to us ESL students. Anyhow, as for CR strategy, I would recommend to approach the question upfront, meaning that we should first see if the argument is a good argument or a flaw argument or if this is just a statement of fact (this usually applies to inference question). If its an argument, it is most likely flaw since we can't really strengthen or weakened a good argument. Therefore, you should identify a flaw in the argument first and then approach the question. Almost always the answer choice that is correct will address this flaw. Keep in mind that there might be more than one flaw. But the question will definitely address that flaw inorder to strengthen or weakened the argument. Just like this marriage CR question, if we see correlation & causation flaw then we could narrow down to the correct answer choice D. I don't know why, but the GMAT test prep books that I read so far do not explicitly address this topic.

I found this to be helpful especially if English is not your native language, since this technique help you solve CR question much faster and a lot more accurate. So you can save up time to deal with dense RC passage or very annoying and tricky American Idioms SC.

Ok I will stop. Thanks for reading.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 23:52
I will go with option C
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 10:03
deepakraam wrote:
I will go with option C

Read through the earlier posts and you will see why option C is wrong.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 11:47
D is right !
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 01:04
D is the right assumption which affects the conclusion if not true.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Marital bliss [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 01:50
D IS CORRECT
Re: CR - Marital bliss   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2010, 01:50