Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent research has indicated that married people are not

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Recent research has indicated that married people are not [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 03:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:46) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier. This study has been widely reported by the media, with most commentators concluding that being married is good for one’s health and attitude.

The conclusion of the media commentators depends on which of the following assumptions?

A The longer people are married, the happier and healthier they become.
B Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple ceremony.
C Married people cannot get depressed.
D Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.
E Some marriages are more harmonious than others.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 04:15
ritula wrote:
Recent research has indicated that married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier. This study has been widely reported by the media, with most commentators concluding that being married is good for one’s health and attitude.

The conclusion of the media commentators depends on which of the following assumptions?

B Married couples who had a large, extravagant wedding are happier than those who had a small, simple ceremony.
D Single people with depression or health problems are just as likely to get married as are other single people.

I will go for D..

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 04:57
I agree with the above given answer.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 6

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 06:42
IMO D.

If unhealthy persons do not get married, argument will be false that Marriage makes them happy..

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 10:01
D.
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 10:24
ritula wrote:

Wow! Interestingly I got C and all of you got D.

Can you tell why C is wrong?

Conclusion is "that being married is good for one’s health and attitude." Not getting married. The reason for which I took D out.

Negate C. Married people can get depressed. If M can get D, D is not a sign of good health/attitude/happiness. Conclusion falls apart. needed.

Now negate D

Single people with depression or health problems are NOT just as likely to get married as are other single people.

So If S with D/HP cannot get married as easily as others, that does not mean that the "state (word being) of marriage is healthier/happier or the opposite"

What am I missing here?
VP
VP

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 22:28
icandy,
I also went for C for the same reason u mentioned but OA is D.
Can those betting for D pls explain?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 22:48
ritula wrote:

Length of marriage is not relevant.
Size of wedding is not relevant.
Cannot is a bit extreme. The commentators believe marriage is healthy, but they never conclude (or assume) that married
people will never get depressed.
This essentially says that marriage is the cause of happiness (and not the other way around)

Nope

This boils down to a cause and effect relationship. Marriage causes one to be healthy and happy (not the other way around)
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 2

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 03:29
This post received
KUDOS

My reasons for D:
The argument construction is , generally married people are happy and healthy ( though not very true :) ) so marriage is good for health.

The Marriage ( cause ) ---> happy and healthy life ( effect )

Assumptions generally in these case should be in line with:
[1] If the "cause" happens "effect" should happen.
[2] If the "cause" doesn't happen "effect" should not happen.

But what if the cause-effect relation is not established in the first place ?

If only healthy people get married , the cause -> effect is shattered.
Because unhealthy people are not married much , so in general it is not
true that marriage is making the person healthy.

So for the conclusion ( cause -> effect ) it has to be assumed in the first place
that both heathy and un-healthy people are getting married , to prove the effect
of having a good life for unhealthy people too.

Option D does point this assumption well.

For C ,
Married people cannot get depressed.

Is this really an assumption here. What this option is doing is to restate the premise
"married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier" is much
stronger way.
How do you think C helps premise to connect to the conclusion.
For assumption we need something to move forward towards the conclusion. By saying unhealthy
people also get married as likely as heathy people, we are in-fact proving when the cause happens
the effect happens ..... for every one. The marriage is making a person healthy.

VP
VP

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 03:51
wow! perfect reasoning. I never thought it dat way
+1 frm me
gmatavenue wrote:

My reasons for D:
The argument construction is , generally married people are happy and healthy ( though not very true :) ) so marriage is good for health.

The Marriage ( cause ) ---> happy and healthy life ( effect )

Assumptions generally in these case should be in line with:
[1] If the "cause" happens "effect" should happen.
[2] If the "cause" doesn't happen "effect" should not happen.

But what if the cause-effect relation is not established in the first place ?

If only healthy people get married , the cause -> effect is shattered.
Because unhealthy people are not married much , so in general it is not
true that marriage is making the person healthy.

So for the conclusion ( cause -> effect ) it has to be assumed in the first place
that both heathy and un-healthy people are getting married , to prove the effect
of having a good life for unhealthy people too.

Option D does point this assumption well.

For C ,
Married people cannot get depressed.

Is this really an assumption here. What this option is doing is to restate the premise
"married people are not only happier than unmarried people, but also healthier" is much
stronger way.
How do you think C helps premise to connect to the conclusion.
For assumption we need something to move forward towards the conclusion. By saying unhealthy
people also get married as likely as heathy people, we are in-fact proving when the cause happens
the effect happens ..... for every one. The marriage is making a person healthy.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 08:12
gmatavenue,

great explanation ... +1 from me too ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 4

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2009, 06:14
Hell! I missed this

While I'm aware of the process to attack such questions, it's close to impossible to apply the rules/procedures for every problem. Any pointers on how should be the thought process while attempting a question?

Cheers,
Unplugged
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2009, 12:26
unplugged wrote:
Hell! I missed this

While I'm aware of the process to attack such questions, it's close to impossible to apply the rules/procedures for every problem. Any pointers on how should be the thought process while attempting a question?

Cheers,
Unplugged

I agree and I still feel that C is also a required assumption if we apply the negation rule.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 00:48
ritula wrote:

What is the rebuttable presumption of this question

the stem does not talk about the corelation between the amount of time ppl are married and them being happier
the stem doesnt talk about this either
it is too extreme a choice
this is the correct answer (by way of process of elimination)
the stem does not compare about some marriages being more harmonious then others, it just says that married ppl are healthier then those who are unamarried.

In case my answer / logic is not correct then please let me know where i made a mistake.

thanks
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 733 [0], given: 40

Re: MARRIED PPL [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 22:52
icandy wrote:
unplugged wrote:
Hell! I missed this

Cheers,
Unplugged

I agree and I still feel that C is also a required assumption if we apply the negation rule.

If I go with the above reasoning (correct) then we can eliminate C by:
1. Case is too extreme.
2. At first, this statement may seem necessary but it is how Married people can get depressed and effect the assumption that they will be happier and healthier. There can be some other causes of depression and there can be some other way these depressed people can relax and become H & H.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Re: MARRIED PPL   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2010, 22:52