Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent statistic make it seem unlikely that the total

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 14

Recent statistic make it seem unlikely that the total [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2013, 23:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (02:26) correct 35% (01:28) wrong based on 154 sessions
Recent statistic make it seem unlikely that the total consumtion of electricity determines its cost to individual consumers. Recent increase in total consumtion especially during summer months have sometimes been accompanied by a decrease in the cost per unit and at other times by an increase.

Which of the following position is best supported by the information presented above?

A. It must be the case that the cost of electicity to comsumer is what determines the total consumption.
B.Even though a correlation exists between the total consumption of electricity and its cost to consumer, no casual relation exists.
C. Further investigation into the way these statistics were gathered is certainly called for.
D.The cost of electicity depends upon something other than the total consumption of electricity.
E.The cost per unit of electricity to consumer is dependant on the total electicity consumption.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I didnt get what the argument is conveying, someone please expalin
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 15 Jun 2013, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added OA.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 15

Re: Recent statistic make it seem unlikely that the total [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 18:21
It should be "D. It is cause and effect reasoning. If "X" does not lead to "Y" and "Y " does not lead to "X", there has to be a cause "Z" which leads to "X" or "Y"

Kudos are motivating! :)

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1182 [1] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: Recent statistic make it seem unlikely that the total [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 23:25
This post received
KUDOS
This is a "must be true" question. Always keep in mind "no new information accepted", the right answer must pass the "Fact test".

ANALYZE THE STIMULUS:

Fact: Recent statistic shows that total consumption of electricity could not determine its cost to individual consumers.
Fact: Recent increase in total consumption especially ==> accompanied by a decrease in the cost per unit and by an increase at other times

What must be true based on the information above.

ANALYZE EACH ANSWER:

A. It must be the case that the cost of electicity to comsumer is what determines the total consumption.
Wrong. It's a reverse answer.

B.Even though a correlation exists between the total consumption of electricity and its cost to consumer, no casual relation exists.
Wrong. The stimulus says that total consumption of electricity is unlikely used to determine its cost to consumer. ==> cannot exist a correlation between A & B if A cannot be used to determine B.

C. Further investigation into the way these statistics were gathered is certainly called for.
Wrong. Out of scope. Nothing about "further investigation" ==> C does not pass the "Fact test"

D.The cost of electicity depends upon something other than the total consumption of electricity.
Correct. The stimulus says that total consumption of electricity is unlikely used to determine its cost to consumer. ==> there must be another factor used to determine the cost of electricity.

E.The cost per unit of electricity to consumer is dependant on the total electicity consumption.
Wrong. Nothing about "cost per unit". ==> E does not pass the "Fact test"

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 234

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Recent statistic make it seem unlikely that the total [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 03:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Recent statistic make it seem unlikely that the total   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2014, 03:40