Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recent study of symptoms performed at the Department of Symp

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q34 V41
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User
Recent study of symptoms performed at the Department of Symp [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 13:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (01:55) correct 50% (01:11) wrong based on 141 sessions
Recent study of symptoms performed at the Department of Symptoms at a leading health care institute has demonstrated that some signs that seem alarming may actually be harmless and those seem to make no biological sense may indicate a serious condition.

A. those seem to make no biological sense may indicate a serious condition.
B. those that seem to make no biological sense may indicate a serious condition.
C. those that seem making no biological sense may indicate a serious condition.
D. some signs that making no biological sense may indicate a serious condition.
E. some signs that seem to make no biological sense indicate a serious condition.

Please explain.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please don't forget to give Kudos if you like my post! :-)

Last edited by Natics on 07 Nov 2013, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 16 [3] , given: 0

Re: Recent study of symptoms performed at the Department of Symp [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 14:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Natics,
What about answer E?

A - incorrect, the sentence includes two conjugated verbs placed one after another
C - incorrect, the verb "seem" should be followed by the base form of a verb with "to", not V-ing form
D - the part "that making no biological sense" should be a clause, however, it does not include a conjugated verb and therefore it is a fragment
The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmattutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q34 V41
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.25

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recent study of symptoms performed at the Department of Symp [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 12:44
KasiaEconomistGMAT wrote:
Hi Natics,
What about answer E?

A - incorrect, the sentence includes two conjugated verbs placed one after another
C - incorrect, the verb "seem" should be followed by the base form of a verb with "to", not V-ing form
D - the part "that making no biological sense" should be a clause, however, it does not include a conjugated verb and therefore it is a fragment
The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Hi Kasia,

E-gmat does not have an E answer, but I just made it up for completeness ;)

Thank you for explanation, It's good to know about "seem to " Because I did not see a difference between choices B&C.

Please don't forget to give Kudos if you like my post! :-)

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Recent study of symptoms performed at the Department of Symp [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 10:37
Expert's post
Natics wrote:
Hi Natics,
What about answer E?

The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Hi Kasia,

Thank you for explanation, It's good to know about "seem to " Because I did not see a difference between choices B&C.

Thanks for making up the additional answer choice.
Glad to help. Keep the good questions coming!

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmattutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recent study of symptoms performed at the Department of Symp [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 06:23
Natics wrote:
Hi Natics,
What about answer E?

The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Hi Kasia,

Thanks for making up the additional answer choice.
Glad to help. Keep the good questions coming!

I was confused between B and E and almost picked up E, but then I realised that E does not have "may",
Hence change of meaning led me to chose option B.

But is there any other reason to discard E?
Re: Recent study of symptoms performed at the Department of Symp   [#permalink] 08 May 2014, 06:23