Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently discovered fossil remains strongly suggest that the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 0

Recently discovered fossil remains strongly suggest that the [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 16:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:50) correct 20% (00:49) wrong based on 568 sessions
Recently discovered fossil remains strongly suggest that the Australian egg-laying mammals of today are a branch of the main stem of mammalian evolution rather than developing independently from a common ancestor of mammals more than 220 million years ago.

A. rather than developing independently from
B. rather than a type that developed independently from
C. rather than a type whose developments was independent of
D. instead of developing independently from
E. instead of a development that was independent of

Can anyone explain what's the difference between "rather than" and "instead of"?? Took a long time to eliminate the answer because i could not decide which one (rather than/instead of) is better.

Thanks,
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by mau5 on 26 Aug 2013, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [2] , given: 0

Re: SC - Rather than vs instead of [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 20:13
This post received
KUDOS
mbunny wrote:
Recently discovered fossil remains strongly suggest that the Australian egg-laying mammals of today are a branch of the main stem of mammalian evolution rather than developing independently from a common ancestor of mammals more than 220 million years ago.

Can anyone explain what's the difference between "rather than" and "instead of"?? Took a long time to eliminate the answer because i could not decide which one (rather than/instead of) is better.

Thanks,

go for B.

both are used to pick x over y but rather than is more preferered in gmat over instead of.

you should join school x rathar than school y: here you can go to either but x is better than y.

you should join school x instead of y: here you would be better go to x not y and do not go y.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 22:21
Go with B. The issue here is meaning and correct comparison rather than use of " rather than vs instead of".
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 23:53
Very well explained Himalayan :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 9

Re: Recently discovered fossil remains strongly suggest that the [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
Although it is written in Aristotle SC book that we can use both "independent from" and "independent of" and both of them are used in OG 10, I couldn't find "independent from" in Longman dictionary.
So when I was solving this question of OG10, I omit all the answers with preposition "from" for "independent" but choice C!

Which one should I obey? the Longman dictionary or the Aristotle and OG?
Can someone help me in this regard?
Thanks alot
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3675 [9] , given: 185

Re: Recently discovered fossil remains strongly suggest that the [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

Meaning Analysis:

The sentence is talking about the Australian egg-laying mammals of today. They are a branch of the main stem of mammalian evolution. They did not develop independently from a common ancestor of mammals.

Error Analysis:

The sentence is presenting a comparison. It says that Australian egg-laying mammals are X rather than Y.

X = a branch of the main stem of mammalian evolution (a noun phrase)
Y = developing independently from a common ancestor of mammals (a noun phrase that actually starts from an action word – a gerund)

Hence, the entities compared are not parallel. Y also needs to be a noun phrase that starts with a “proper” noun entity.

PoE:

A. rather than developing independently from: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B. rather than a type that developed independently from: Correct. “a type…” is parallel to “a branch…”

C. rather than a type whose developments was independent of: Incorrect. Plural subject “developments” does not agree in number with singular “was”.

D. instead of developing independently from: Incorrect. Same parallelism error as in choice A.

E. instead of a development that was independent of: Incorrect. Again, the entities compared are logically not parallel.

So you see, the knowledge of correct usage or “rather than” and “instead of” is not imperative to solve this problem.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Recently discovered fossil remains strongly suggest that the [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2013, 00:30
The explanation given in OG12 for answer option (E) is contrary to what e-gmat explained.

Here it is
Why (E) is incorrect OG's explanation:
While a development may appear to parallel
a branch, a development that was independent
of . . . expresses a meaning contrary to that
expressed in the original sentence. The verb
developed is preferable to the noun
development.

The point here is of the phrase "independent of/independent from". Furthermore , as per MGMAT SC Guide VAN Rule , we prefer

Verb Over Noun

For more: http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/ind ... 11721.html

In this option there is a NOUN = development when the verb is available VERB = developed.

This answer choice gave a good competition to the correct answer choice because as per OG12

Both x instead of y
And x rather than y

constructions are correct

Hope it helps

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: Recently discovered fossil remains strongly suggest that the [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 05:20
mbunny wrote:

Thanks,

x rather than Y is the idiom here.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: Recently discovered fossil remains strongly suggest that the [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 07:23
TGC wrote:
The explanation given in OG12 for answer option (E) is contrary to what e-gmat explained.

Here it is
Why (E) is incorrect OG's explanation:
While a development may appear to parallel
a branch, a development that was independent
of . . . expresses a meaning contrary to that
expressed in the original sentence. The verb
developed is preferable to the noun
development.

The point here is of the phrase "independent of/independent from". Furthermore , as per MGMAT SC Guide VAN Rule , we prefer

Verb Over Noun

For more: http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/ind ... 11721.html

In this option there is a NOUN = development when the verb is available VERB = developed.

This answer choice gave a good competition to the correct answer choice because as per OG12

Both x instead of y
And x rather than y

constructions are correct

Hope it helps

Rgds,
TGC!

True GMAT always prefers action verb than Nouns.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: Recently discovered fossil remains strongly suggest that the   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2014, 07:23