Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently discovered prehistoric rock paintings on small

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Recently discovered prehistoric rock paintings on small [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 01:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (01:03) correct 67% (00:41) wrong based on 3 sessions
Recently discovered prehistoric rock paintings on small islands off the northern coast of Norway have archaeologists puzzled. The predominant theory about northern cave paintings was that they were largely a description of the current diets of the painters. This theory cannot be right, because the painters must have needed to eat the sea animals populating the waters north of Norway if they were to make the long journey to and from the islands, and there are no paintings that unambiguously depict such creatures.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument against the predominant theory about northern cave paintings EXCEPT:

(A) Once on these islands, the cave painters hunted and ate land animals.
(B) Parts of the cave paintings on the islands did not survive the centuries.
(C) The cave paintings that were discovered on the islands depicted many land animals.
(D) Those who did the cave paintings that were discovered on the islands had unusually advanced techniques of preserving meats.
(E) The cave paintings on the islands were done by the original inhabitants of the islands who ate the meat of land animals.

The OA is very unexpected and unconvincing to me...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 04:28
is the answer D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 04:35
for me its E.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 393 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 04:42
B should be the answer.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 04:43
According to me the answer should be C.

A - Not relevant to argument.
B - Out of scope.
C - This supports the argument made against the predominant theory.
D - irrelevant
E - not a supporting argument.

Please let us know the OA.

-------------------------------------
Please give kudos, if my post is helpful.

For English Grammar tips, consider visiting http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/index.html.

Intern
Intern

Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 05:02
The first 3 people chose wrong answers.
The OA is C.

vinay.kaipra: You got the right answer, but your reasoning doesn't seem right to me. The question asks to find answers to weaken the argument "EXCEPT", which means the right answer does not weaken the argument and the other 4 answers should weaken the argument. For this reason, I think "irrelevant" and "out of scope" can't be the reasoning in this question. 4 of them should weaken the argument in some way.

I'm still trying to convince myself why C is the answer....
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 05:21
A - Not relevant to argument. ---> I don't agree with this explanation for A.

A is actually a contender for C.

Intern
Intern

Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 05:41
"A" weakens the argument because if the painters ate land animals, then the absence of pictures of sea animals shouldn’t be troubling.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 21:22
Hi,

The answer has to be C.

Explanation:

We have to find an answer choice which is going to strengthen an argument.

A) Once on these islands, the cave painters hunted and ate land animals.
-- This answer choice can strengthen an argument. However here the key word is once. Hence this answer choice may or may not strengthen the argument against the predominant theory.

-- Irrelevant.

(C) The cave paintings that were discovered on the islands depicted many land animals.
-- This will definitely strengthen the argument done against the predominant theory. If the paintings depicted the land animals, author's argument is correct i.e. paintings are not truly depicting the diets of painters.

(D) Those who did the cave paintings that were discovered on the islands had unusually advanced techniques of preserving meats.
-- Irrelevant information.

(E) The cave paintings on the islands were done by the original inhabitants of the islands who ate the meat of land animals.
-- The premise mentions that the paintings were done by painters and not the inhabitants. We have to attack the conclusion of an argument and not the premise. Hence incorrect answer choice.

Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 21:31
A and E are strengthening the predominant theory. In other words weakening the arg against the predominant theory.

predominant theory assumption - the cave paintings were of land animals that were eaten by the painters.

C does not say "ate". Where as A and E say "ate land animals" blowing away the second theory.

C is strengthening the second theory. In other words strengthening the arg against the predominant theory. And this is an EXCEPT question.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 369 [1] , given: 0

Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
rockubabe wrote:
Recently discovered prehistoric rock paintings on small islands off the northern coast of Norway have archaeologists puzzled. The predominant theory about northern cave paintings was that they were largely a description of the current diets of the painters. This theory cannot be right, because the painters must have needed to eat the sea animals populating the waters north of Norway if they were to make the long journey to and from the islands, and there are no paintings that unambiguously depict such creatures.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the argument against the predominant theory about northern cave paintings EXCEPT:

The OA is very unexpected and unconvincing to me...

Let's break this down into some simple steps:

1. Identify the question type: This is a strengthening question! ("all weaken EXCEPT"=strengthening)

This means that you want to identify the one sentence/concept that is the conclusion and select an answer that makes that one sentence more believable.

2. Identify the conclusion:
Conclusion= "The theory cannot be right." What theory? The theory that the paintings are of animals the inhabitants ate.

Let's restate the conclusion: It is NOT true that the paintings depict the food that the inhabitants ate.

3. What do we know for a fact (premises)? Look at the clause that opens with 'because': "because the painters must have needed to eat the sea animals populating the waters north of Norway..."
'Because' is a key word signaling a premise!

A tip for strengthening questions: Take the conclusion, in your head add the the word 'because' after it, and then read your answer to see if it makes sense.

So in this problem, your answer should logically complete the following sentence.

The painters (who traveled the waters around the island) did NOT paint what they ate because...?

....because there were no sea animals in the paintings (C).

Best,
Sarai

Check out Lessons I and II in Critical Reasoning for important tips and key words for separating the conclusion from the premises and avoiding CR traps at gmaxonline!

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Intern
Intern

Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 09:08
How does "D" weaken the argument?

And "Weaken, EXCEPT" doesn't necessarily mean the answer should "Strengthen". The right answer could not affect the argument at all.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 5

Re: Prehistoric rock paintings [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 20:50
This post received
KUDOS
The Answer is C. All other answer choices are weakening the argument.

Here the argument against the predimant theory is "the painters must have needed to eat sea animals and no paintings unambiguously depict such animals "

This is telling, there was no need to eat see animals as there were land animals. So weakening the argument.

parts of painting no more there. So those paintings might have depicted the see animals. . So weakening the argument.

No reason this statement weakening the argument

They might have carried preserve meats and might not have used sea animals. Thats why sea animal's painting not there. So weakening the argument.

This is altogether discarding the theory of sea animal's itself. So weakening the argument.

+1 kudos me if this is of any help...

Re: Prehistoric rock paintings   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2010, 20:50