Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2005, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:59) correct 51% (00:58) wrong based on 457 sessions
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

A. the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that
B. mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they
C. mice's brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries' neurons that increase when they
D. the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they
E. brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - science [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2005, 20:42
(3) mice's brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries' neurons that increase when they
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2005, 22:47
(4) the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2005, 05:36
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with 5.

The examples can not be mice or mice's brain.

It needs to be the growth

From my point of view 1,2,3, and 4 do not make it clear what was placed in stimulating environment, is it the bain or the mice..
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2005, 12:21
I will go with (4)

the sentence '...an increase in neurons in canaries that ..." in (5) doesnt sound good.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2005, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
Almost everyone is going with 4. From my poin of view that is wrong. Here is how....

the brain growth in mice when placed (what is placed mice or brain growth) a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they (what does THEY refer to here. They is a pronoun that should refer to a noun, in this case the noun is canaries' neurons. Remember canaries' is in possessive form here).

5 resolves it all.

mice is a plural of mouse(singular).

brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment
or an increase in neurons in canaries that learn new songs.

I may be wrong because my brain is disfunctional these days....
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2005, 13:25
I think the answer is <b>5</b>.

(1) "the brain" is not an example of neurogenesis

(2) "mice" is not an example of neurogenesis

(3) "mice's brains" are not examples of neurogenesis

(4) include should be followed by X and Y, not X or Y.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2005, 13:28
trulyblessed wrote:
(4) include should be followed by X and Y, not X or Y.

I think that's what's tripping me up. I agree with you; I'm looking for an X and Y structure with the word "include". But both (4) and (5) use X or Y.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2006, 15:02
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

A. the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that
B. mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they
C. mice’s brain that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries’ neurons that increase when they
D. the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries’ neurons when they
E. brain grown in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or increase in neurons in canaries that
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2006, 15:18
^B^

Pronoun Antecedant & Parallel structure
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2006, 19:01
I think I am wrong again here..
I will wait for the OA..

Guys, Please explain the answer & your approach to attack this SC

Thanks
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2006, 19:17
I feel B is correct.

C also is impressive". but, ""they are placed"" refers to the brain and not the mice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2006, 06:24
Huh now i am kinda confused. Are mice placed in stimulating env. or their brains?? If their brains than as i have replied earlier C is correct for ||ism and pronoun they refering to correct noun.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2006, 09:30
C.

C for parallelism,

Mice are placed in stimulating environment. Mice brains can not be separated from mice and put into stimulating environment and that (brain) will grow!!!!!

in all the choices, it is brain (singular) not brains. so they clearly refer to mice (plural)

gmatacer wrote:
Huh now i am kinda confused. Are mice placed in stimulating env. or their brains?? If their brains than as i have replied earlier C is correct for ||ism and pronoun they refering to correct noun.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2006, 09:33
D

Clear in meaning. It uses nouns as "examples of neurogenesis" like "brain growth in mice " and "increase in canaries’ neurons".

It goes well with parallelism too.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2006, 12:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OA is E!

Interesting that nobody got it right :? My answer was B when I first saw this SC.

This is what happens (according to me): it parallels examples of the production of new brain cells, i.e. nouns or noun phrases. However, the trick is the modifiers following these noun/noun phrases. The modifiers are either subordinate clauses or relative clauses. One should read the options with the modifying clauses in mind and correct accordingly.

- the modifying clauses are not parallel.

- incorrect use of mice and canaries as examples (examples need to be of the production of new brain cells). Also, ambiguous use of they

C. mice’s brain that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries’ neurons that increase when they

- incorrect use of mice's brain and canaries' neurons as examples. Also, ambiguous use of they in the second example

D. the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries’ neurons when they

- the examples are not parallel (canaries' neurons is in possessive form whereas the brain growth is not). Also, the modifying clauses are ambigious. E.g., they in the second example

E. brain grown in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or increase in neurons in canaries that

- the examples and the modifying clauses are parallel.

Let me know if anyone is of a different opinion...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2006, 12:32
huh? E?

"..brain grown.." does not ever sound correct to me???

B seems to be the most parallel

:roll:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2006, 16:43
The option E is posted incorrectly in the question, it should be:

E. brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that

Can anyone explain why E is better and point out the mistakes in the other options...

I believe its yogurt!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2006, 18:14
though late 'E' seems ok to me..

it is because the orginal stem talks about neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, the modifier clearly states that the subject being discussed here is a grown brain cell in mice and increased neurons in canaries..

C, B & A - talks about brain that would grow or canaries neruons that would increase . the process is yet to take place. and it cannot be documented.

D - talks about growth a process.. and not the results produced...

[/b]
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2006, 22:21
Will go with D. B/C have wrong modifiers.
A/E brain is not the example.
  [#permalink] 11 Jun 2006, 22:21