Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [10]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Recently, entomologists have discovered a number of new [#permalink]
thanks, is there anyway for me to recognize how "most of them at least..." becomes a modifying clause, is most of the some sort of a indicator ? subordinating conjunction ?

or should I focus on the fact that there is no subject verb agreement in the clause
"most of them at least as common as the birch aphid...living on the bottom of oceans..." (modifying clause that modifies "species")

I could be tempted to think that. "most of them" is the subject, and living the main verb, is the error there that Living can´t it be the main verb because it is functioning as an Adverb (resent Participle)? -ing form

can -ing forms maybe never function as a main verb ??? (that would be a comfortable rule to remember:)

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management , Enterprenureship
Schools:ISB, IIM
GMAT 2: 690  Q50  V34
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
Bookmarks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The gist of the passage is that, 1. Scientists have discovered a number of new insect species (plural); these insects live in oceans or icebergs; they are at least as common as the birch aphid, a tree-dweller.

* (A) most of them as common or more common than the birch aphid, a tree-dwelling insect, which live --- it should be ‘most of them at least as common as'

* (B) most of them at least as common as the birch aphid, a tree-dwelling insect, and living --- Misses the symmetrical parallelism by using a noun on one side of the parallel marker ‘and’; on the other side, a participial phrase is used.

* (C) most of them at least as common as the birch aphid, a tree-dwelling insect, living -- correct combination; living here modifies the new species.

* (D) mostly at least as common as the birch aphid, a tree-dwelling insect, which live -- which live is wrong modification and verb number

* (E) mostly as common or more common than the birch aphid, a tree-dwelling insect, living – missing the idiom as common as
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Hi Experts,
In option c, I feel there is an ambiguity regarding what living modifies. How can living modify insect species. If we remove the non-essential modifier- ,a tree-dwelling insect, then living modifies birch aphid. The sentence stands by as follows-
Recently, entomologists have discovered a number of new insect species most of them at least as common as the birch aphid living on the bottom of oceans or within icebergs.
In the comments, people , living modifies the subject(insect species) of the previous clause. But, we have the comma before living as part of non essential modifier ,a tree-dwelling insect,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The gist of the passage is that, 1. Scientists have discovered a number of new insect species (plural); these insects live in oceans or icebergs; they are at least as common as the birch aphid, a tree-dweller.

* (A) most of them as common or more common than the birch aphid, a tree-dwelling insect, which live --- it should be ‘most of them at least as common as'

* (B) most of them at least as common as the birch aphid, a tree-dwelling insect, and living --- Misses the symmetrical parallelism by using a noun on one side of the parallel marker ‘and’; on the other side, a participial phrase is used.

* (C) most of them at least as common as the birch aphid, a tree-dwelling insect, living -- correct combination; living here modifies the new species.

* (D) mostly at least as common as the birch aphid, a tree-dwelling insect, which live -- which live is wrong modification and verb number

* (E) mostly as common or more common than the birch aphid, a tree-dwelling insect, living – missing the idiom as common as

daagh, GMATNinja, broall

In option c, I feel there is an ambiguity regarding what living modifies. How can living modify insect species. If we remove the non-essential modifier- ,a tree-dwelling insect, then living modifies birch aphid. The sentence stands by as follows-
Recently, entomologists have discovered a number of new insect species most of them at least as common as the birch aphid living on the bottom of oceans or within icebergs.
In the comments, people , living modifies the subject(insect species) of the previous clause. But, we have the comma before living as part of non essential modifier ,a tree-dwelling insect,
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sunny91 wrote:
Hi Experts,

If two modifiers are required to be placed one after the other referring to the same antecedent, then there must be a conjunction (e.g. "and") between them. Thus if "living..." were to refer to "birch aphid", then the modifiers "a tree-dwelling insect" and "living..." would be separated by a conjunction (e.g.,"and").
[Nonetheless there would be a parallelsim issue then, since placing a noun phrase modifier i.e., an appositive ("a tree-dwelling insect") and a present participle modifier "living..." in parallel is not recommended.]

Just some additional thought: If the comma before "living" were not there, then the present participle modifier "living.." would clearly refer to "insect", which in turn refers to "birch aphid".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Send PM