Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently, highly skilled workers in Eastern Europe have left

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Re: eastern european workers... [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 16:25
A major impediment to wide acceptance of electric vehicles even on the part of people who use their cars almost exclusively for commuting is the inability to use their electric vehicles for occasional extended trips. In an attempt to make purchasing electric vehicles more attractive to commuters, one electric vehicle producer is planning to offer customers three days free rental of a conventional car for every 1,000 miles that they drive their electric vehicle.

Which of the following, if true, most threatens the plan's prospects for success?

A. Many electric vehicles that are used for commercial purposes are not needed for extended trips.
B. Because a majority of commuters drive at least 100 miles per week, the cost of the producer of making good the offer would add considerably to the already high price of electric vehicles.
C. The relatively long time it takes to recharge the battery of an electric vehicle can easily be fitted into the regular patterns of car use characteristic of commuters.
D. Although electric vehicles are essentially emission- free in actual use, generating the electricity necessary for charging an electric vehicle's battery can burden the environment.
E. Some family vehicles are used primarily not for commuting but for making short local trips, such as to do errands.
please help me out with the answer to this question
OA is (B) but my confusion is cost is not mentioned as an impediment in purchasing the electric car,then then how is B correct(it must be a shell game choice)
please reply
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 315

Re: eatern european workers... [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 01:21
priyanka116 wrote:
According to me the answer is D. This is the only one that can weaken the argument that highly skilled workers are in high demand in home countries in that the companies in home countries are planning on training ppl rather than hiring highly skilled workers.

When do we know the right answer?

D actually strengthen the argument. When Eastern Europe plans to train new workers to replace the skilled workers, this means that skilled workers are still in demand.
B weaken the argument by saying that the demand for skilled workers is low due to the economic meldown.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 20

Re: eatern european workers... [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 20:26
firang wrote:
In this question if one focuses on the conclusion - "It is therefore likely that skilled workers who remain in Eastern Europe are in high demand in their home countries."

2 things come out - skilled workers and high demand.

If you choose D then you were focusing on the skilled workers part of it and if you choose B you were focusing on the high demand aspect of it.

Although D is a strong contender, it leaves room for another assumption that "the countries plan to train the new workers because they are not highly skilled already"

But B leaves no room for doubt - it clearly states that there is less demand---weakening the conclusion.

In my opinion, D is not at all a contender, in fact, it supports the argument.
Author concluded that there will be demand for workers, meaning there will be lot of jobs available. We need to disprove this point.

D says companies are going to train NEW employees, meaning they are going to HIRE first and then train. This clearly supports author's point. Had D simply mentioned that companies will replace by training EXISTING talent, it would have weakened the author's point.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

Re: Recently, highly skilled workers in Eastern Europe have left [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 05:44
I initially went with Option D...after reading the explanations above i see that B is the correct answer and i can understand now why D is not the answer..thanks folks

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Recently, highly skilled workers in Eastern Europe have left [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 06:36
Answer is B.
Here we have to focus on "why highly skilled workers in Eastern Europe have left jobs in record numbers to emigrate to the West and from that conclusion is that skilled workers who remain in Eastern Europe are in high demand in their home countries. ???!?!?!?!"

so It is not our concern that what happen before and after worker left eastern Europe and about their vacant positions available in companies or worker's skills or any other points which are not related to argument.

(A) Preference of Eastern European factories... Who cares ???
(B) European economic structures have led to the elimination of many positions... Bullz eye. it is the weakening the conclusion.
(C) European emigrants need to acquire new skills after... No relation with argument
(D) European countries plan to train many new workers to... Training is out of scope...
(E) vacant positions... Bad Idea...

So answer is B...
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Recently, highly skilled workers in Eastern Europe have left [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 04:22
vaivish1723 wrote:
Recently, highly skilled workers in Eastern Europe have left jobs in record numbers to emigrate to the West. It is therefore likely that skilled workers who remain in Eastern Europe are in high demand in their home countries.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Eastern European factories prefer to hire workers from their home countries rather than to import workers from abroad.
(B) Major changes in Eastern European economic structures have led to the elimination of many positions previously held by the highly skilled emigrants.
(C) Many Eastern European emigrants need to acquire new skills after finding work in the West.
(D) Eastern European countries plan to train many new workers to replace the highly skilled workers who have emigrated.
(E) Because of the departure of skilled workers from Eastern European countries, many positions are now unfilled.

Can somebody discuss this one.

According to the conclusion, the skilled workers who remain in Eastern Europe are in high demand in their home countries because a lot of them have emigrated to the west.
This stance would be weakened by a statement which states that there is not much demand for "labor".
Think about it.. Why would laborers be in demand if there is no labor?

This situation is well stated in B and hence B is the answer .
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [0], given: 122

Re: Recently, highly skilled workers in Eastern Europe have left [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 09:36
vaivish1723 wrote:
Recently, highly skilled workers in Eastern Europe have left jobs in record numbers to emigrate to the West. It is therefore likely that skilled workers who remain in Eastern Europe are in high demand in their home countries.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Eastern European factories prefer to hire workers from their home countries rather than to import workers from abroad.
(B) Major changes in Eastern European economic structures have led to the elimination of many positions previously held by the highly skilled emigrants.
(C) Many Eastern European emigrants need to acquire new skills after finding work in the West.
(D) Eastern European countries plan to train many new workers to replace the highly skilled workers who have emigrated.
(E) Because of the departure of skilled workers from Eastern European countries, many positions are now unfilled.

Can somebody discuss this one.

Premise: a lot of high skilled workers left Eastern to the West.
Conclusion: skilled workers who remain in Eastern are in high demand.
Assumption: the number of position for skilled workers does not decrease.

B is correct.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 46

Re: eastern european workers... [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 11:06
adhithya wrote:
A major impediment to wide acceptance of electric vehicles even on the part of people who use their cars almost exclusively for commuting is the inability to use their electric vehicles for occasional extended trips. In an attempt to make purchasing electric vehicles more attractive to commuters, one electric vehicle producer is planning to offer customers three days free rental of a conventional car for every 1,000 miles that they drive their electric vehicle.

Which of the following, if true, most threatens the plan's prospects for success?

A. Many electric vehicles that are used for commercial purposes are not needed for extended trips.
B. Because a majority of commuters drive at least 100 miles per week, the cost of the producer of making good the offer would add considerably to the already high price of electric vehicles.
C. The relatively long time it takes to recharge the battery of an electric vehicle can easily be fitted into the regular patterns of car use characteristic of commuters.
D. Although electric vehicles are essentially emission- free in actual use, generating the electricity necessary for charging an electric vehicle's battery can burden the environment.
E. Some family vehicles are used primarily not for commuting but for making short local trips, such as to do errands.
please help me out with the answer to this question
OA is (B) but my confusion is cost is not mentioned as an impediment in purchasing the electric car,then then how is B correct(it must be a shell game choice)
please reply

I am finding it difficult.Need detail explanation of every answer choice
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Recently, highly skilled workers in Eastern Europe have left [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2014, 20:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Recently, highly skilled workers in Eastern Europe have left   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2014, 20:34