Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 00:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently in City X, developers have stopped buying land,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Recently in City X, developers have stopped buying land, [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 13:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Recently in City X, developers have stopped buying land, contractors have found themselves going without work for longer periods, and banks have issued fewer mortgages. There must be fewer new residents moving to City X than there were previously.

Which of the following indicates a flaw in the reasoning above?

A. This year several housing blocks have gone on the market after being held up for months by legal red tape.

B. The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.

C. Re-sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months.

D. The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.

E. Sales of other big-ticket items, such as automobiles and boats, has remained steady over the past year.

AimHigher

VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Fewer new residents [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 15:08
AimHigher wrote:
Recently in City X, developers have stopped buying land, contractors have found themselves going without work for longer periods, and banks have issued fewer mortgages. There must be fewer new residents moving to City X than there were previously.

Which of the following indicates a flaw in the reasoning above?

A. This year several housing blocks have gone on the market after being held up for months by legal red tape.

B. The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.

C. Re-sales of condominiums have increased over the past six months.

D. The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.

E. Sales of other big-ticket items, such as automobiles and boats, has remained steady over the past year.

I think it's A.
We have to find other reasons why developers are not buying land. A points that out that they are not buying land because several house was held up and they need to sell those first.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 15:42
I agree rest of choices aren't great but how does A explain

"banks have issued fewer mortgages"

AimHigher

VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 15:49
AimHigher wrote:
I agree rest of choices aren't great but how does A explain

"banks have issued fewer mortgages"

Well, I look at this as a series of events, one event cause another event. Developer not buying cause contractor out of work, cause bank to issue fewer mortgage...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2007, 15:29
Why not B ?

The argument concludes that fewer residents are moving to city X due to a causal effect (contractors, banks etc). Anything that shows that the causal effect does not hold, or in other words more people could have moved into City X than before would weaken the argument - i.e if houses were bigger then more people live in the same number of houses... i.e B.

Anyone else ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 01:25
I went with C.

Resale = More *new* people in the area.

Condos are already built, no contractors or new land dev.
Condos are cheaper, so they would not need mortgages.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 02:09
Don't think it's a great question as it is very vague. Looking at the question you expect an answer such as people are not buying because they are renting so they are not taking mortgages.

Looking at the answer choices A and C are close but they do not explain that why did the banks issue fewer mortgages. Condo or an apartment most of the people have to take mortgages.

So I go with E as it somehow tries to say that sales of other big items have remained constant and the general economy and demographics of the place are in good shape.

I am probably only 40-50 % sure on this. But i have doubts about A and C as they explain that contractors do not have to buy new land but what is wrong with the mortgage from the banks.
  [#permalink] 08 Sep 2007, 02:09