Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently in City X, residential developers have stopped

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Recently in City X, residential developers have stopped [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 10:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:13) correct 40% (01:12) wrong based on 252 sessions
Recently in City X, residential developers have stopped buying land, contractors are going without work for longer periods, and specialty workers such as electricians are relying more on less lucrative, existing-home remodeling jobs. There must be fewer new residents moving to City X than there were previously.

Which of the following, if true, indicates a flaw in the reasoning above?

This year several housing developments have gone on the market after being held up for months by legal red tape.
The average size of a new home has increased significantly over the past several years.
The population of City X is projected to grow by 4% this year, compared with only 3% for last year.
The cost of materials such as lumber and cement has decreased over the past year.
Sales of other big-ticket items, such as automobiles and boats, have remained steady over the past year.

As per Powerscore CR - Flaw in the reasoning should not bring outside information in choices, which this question does.
This question is more like weakening question.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 48

Re: Conflict between : Powerscore CR & Manhattan CR [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 08:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hi AbhiJ,

I donot think that there is any new info as such, utilized by correct answer.

The way I see the problem -
Premise 1 - residential developers have stopped buying land,
Premise 2 - contractors are going without work for longer periods, and specialty workers such as electricians are relying more on less lucrative, existing-home remodeling jobs.

Both these premises are giving hints that - new housing developments are not happening across the city.

Correct Answer, if true thus suggests that since there are many new housing projects coming up, the Reasoning concluded is false and hence the premises are contradictory.

Thus if correct answer is true there are housing developments happening in the city and thus the reasoning concluded that - "There must be fewer new residents moving to City X than there were previously." is False.

i do not see any new info in correct answer, in fact by contradicting the Premise it makes the flaw in reasoning very much visible.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [2] , given: 6

Re: Conflict between : Powerscore CR & Manhattan CR [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If the question were "weaken", then C would be a possible answer.

"C" is a conclusion that directly contradicts the conclusion reached in the passage. The passage concludes that fewer new residents moved to City X than previously. (C) says that more new residents are coming in.

A flaw in the reasoning can bring outside information if it helps explain the conclusion in a different way.
The passage says that because of poor jobs, fewer residents coming to the city.

(A) is saying okay, we have poor jobs but that's changing because a bunch of new projects just got onto the market that were "frozen" by legal red tape. Now they are open and job situation should improve. This reasoning would lead to a different conclusion and would reveal the "flaw" in the prior reasoning.

(C) doesn't really help us deal with the reasoning. It simply jumps to the conclusion and provides a conclusion that contradicts the one from the passage. Even so, population growth might not be directly comparable to "# of residents" coming to city X since population growth can either be INTERNAL or EXTERNAL.

The population might grow from within the city if everybody decides to have a lot of kids. Or it can be external with residents coming in from elsewhere. (C) doesn't fully capture just EXTERNAL which is what the reasoning from the passage is focused on.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 239 [1] , given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Conflict between : Powerscore CR & Manhattan CR [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2012, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This argument relate to number and statistic. I agree with gmatpill that, if the question is "Weaken", the answer choice will be C.
However, the question is "flaw". Choice A take this job better. Choice A clearly shows that because the lands were hold up because of one policy. So, the construction developers did not buy lands any more. Instead, they'll wait for the expire date of above policy.

Choice C makes a trap that the decrease in percentage will cause the decrease in number.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: Recently in City X, residential developers have stopped [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 09:41
in (A) " several " is mentioned, but in premise it's talking about the overall condition; how can several can refer to the general/overall situation?

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Recently in City X, residential developers have stopped [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 01:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Recently in City X, residential developers have stopped   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2013, 01:05