Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently one of our students asked a very interesting

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1780
Followers: 1238

Kudos [?]: 3421 [1] , given: 183

Recently one of our students asked a very interesting [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 06:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Recently one of our students asked a very interesting question. Thought I'd share that with the community.
Quote:
Is incentive countable or un-countable? I think it is countable since it passes both tests indicated in your concept Idioms - Quantity.

first test - I can say 1 incentive, 2 incentives, 3 incentives
second test - the plural form "incentives" exists.

Then don't you think that this sentence in the pre-assessment test of this concept is incorrect?
Not much incentive has been provided to the farmers to grow organic foods.


Note that the sentence I provided above is not the exact sentence that is in the pre-assessment quiz, but it on he lines of the sentence in question.

So what do you all think about this question at hand? Is the sentence provided incorrect? If not, then how can you justify the disconnect. After all the word - incentive - does meet the requirements of being a countable noun - so why is the use of "much" correct in the sentence provided?

Feel free to bring in your examples. I will provide my response after I get a few responses from you all. :)

Thanks,

Payal
_________________



Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 41
Location: United States
GPA: 2.8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Incentive - countable or un-countable [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 13:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
I think, Incentive is both a countable and uncountable noun. Both of the sentences below sound correct to me.


I give my kids many incentives to wake up early

I have a little inventive to take up the promotion.
_________________

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1780
Followers: 1238

Kudos [?]: 3421 [0], given: 183

Re: Incentive - countable or un-countable [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 07:34
Expert's post
Yes you are absolutely correct @srikirs007. Basically this word like many other words can be used in more than ways - one of which is countable and the other is un-countable. And this depends on the context in which the word has been used. So you always need to understand the MEANING or the INTENT of this word.

If you want to measure the extent of motivation offered in ONE particular INCENTIVE, then incentive is singular. For example your second sentence:
srikirs007 wrote:
I have a little inventive to take up the promotion.


Another example - Not much incentive has been provided to the farmers to grow organic foods.

On the other hand, incentive is plural when you can talking about multiple incentives: Here comes your first example:
srikirs007 wrote:
I give my kids many incentives to wake up early.


Another example - Department of Agriculture has implemented about 10 incentives to motivate farmers to grow organic food, each incentive offering both financial and social motivation.

So never just blindly look at a noun and determine its countable nature. Yes there are those words that are countable and the ones that are un-countable. But there definitely are certain words that go either way and this depends on the context in which they are used. So always pay attention to the meaning. :)

Let's see if I can get some examples for the word "competition". So basically - Give me two examples - 1 in which competition is used in un-countable sense and the other in which competition is used in countable sense.

I look forward to your response.

Takeaway - Go by the context of the sentence.

Regards,

Payal
_________________



Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2011
Posts: 35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 21

Re: Incentive - countable or un-countable [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 09:29
(Singular) Competition: There is fierce competition among players to win the trophy

(Plural) Competition: Teachers in school xyz hold multiple quiz competitions to determine a winner.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 20
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Incentive - countable or un-countable [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 09:39
egmat wrote:
Yes you are absolutely correct @srikirs007. Basically this word like many other words can be used in more than ways - one of which is countable and the other is un-countable. And this depends on the context in which the word has been used. So you always need to understand the MEANING or the INTENT of this word.

If you want to measure the extent of motivation offered in ONE particular INCENTIVE, then incentive is singular. For example your second sentence:
srikirs007 wrote:
I have a little inventive to take up the promotion.


Another example - Not much incentive has been provided to the farmers to grow organic foods.

On the other hand, incentive is plural when you can talking about multiple incentives: Here comes your first example:
srikirs007 wrote:
I give my kids many incentives to wake up early.


Another example - Department of Agriculture has implemented about 10 incentives to motivate farmers to grow organic food, each incentive offering both financial and social motivation.

So never just blindly look at a noun and determine its countable nature. Yes there are those words that are countable and the ones that are un-countable. But there definitely are certain words that go either way and this depends on the context in which they are used. So always pay attention to the meaning. :)

Let's see if I can get some examples for the word "competition". So basically - Give me two examples - 1 in which competition is used in un-countable sense and the other in which competition is used in countable sense.

I look forward to your response.

Takeaway - Go by the context of the sentence.

Regards,

Payal


I have a fierce competition with myself to achieve the unexpected.

competitions across various sales team is real healthy.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2793
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 930 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Recently one of our students asked a very interesting [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 00:34
SC prep is waste without meaning :) it has been always important , but it was not given much stress by prep companies. But Sc meaning is considered a core of SC by E-Gmat.
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Re: Recently one of our students asked a very interesting   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2012, 00:34
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Ask a Student Darden14student 2 30 Sep 2013, 12:34
Can I ask for interest on defaulted student loans when I fil ajshco 0 23 Jan 2013, 05:22
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple bholakc 27 02 Sep 2011, 05:49
1 Questions to Ask Current Students Futuremba1 1 02 Feb 2011, 07:27
Experts publish their posts in the topic Asking students for resumé books StevenFaulkner 2 16 Jun 2010, 08:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Recently one of our students asked a very interesting

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.