Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 07:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

36% (02:37) correct 64% (01:23) wrong based on 111 sessions
Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from Magazine X, claiming that it was due to the fact that the editorial board of the magazine had decided to change the image that the magazine portrays from one of family values to one concerned more with sex and violence. Surely this indicates that the decision-makers in advertising companies do still have a sense of moral propriety that occasionally drives their actions.

Which of the following, if true, would strengthen this conclusion?

A.The advertisers regularly review the placement of their advertisements.
B.It is a rare event for several advertisers to withdraw all their advertisements simultaneously from a publication.
C.The advertisers, when questioned, admitted that their clients would lose revenue as a result of the advertisements being withdrawn.
D.The advertisers all placed new advertisements with other publications that emphasised family values.
E.A survey of the readership of Magazine X suggested that the majority of the readership think that the standard of the magazine's contents had falled since its transformation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 50

Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 08:34
imania wrote:
Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their advertisements from Magazine X, claiming that it was due to the fact that the editorial board of the magazine had decided to change the image that the magazine portrays from one of family values to one concerned more with sex and violence. Surely this indicates that the decision-makers in advertising companies do still have a sense of moral propriety that occasionally drives their actions.

B.It is a rare event for several advertisers to withdraw all their advertisements simultaneously from a publication.
C.The advertisers, when questioned, admitted that their clients would lose revenue as a result of the advertisements being withdrawn.
D.The advertisers all placed new advertisements with other publications that emphasised family values.
E.A survey of the readership of Magazine X suggested that the majority of the readership think that the standard of the magazine's contents had falled since its transformation.

Conclusion - "this indicates that the decision-makers in advertising companies do still have a sense of moral propriety that occasionally drives their actions"

Option A and B are not relevant.
Option C: -- The advertisers intention of withdrawing the advertisements is to ensure that the magazine gets the message from the advertisers on the target/focus group that the advertisers are after.
Option D -- IMO this is the correct option since by placing advertisements in other publications that emphasized family values the advertisers have shown some moral sense.
Option E -- If the advertisers looked at the result of the survey and then withdrew their advertisements then they would be doing it on the basis of their business sense and not moral sense. Hence this is ruled out.

Final answer should be D.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Manager
Manager

Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 08:38
I myself picked D, the source introduces another option of which I'm pretty suspicious.
I'd love the others to get engaged... If all agree upon it, source might be wrong...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 50

Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 08:48
imania wrote:
I myself picked D, the source introduces another option of which I'm pretty suspicious.
I'd love the others to get engaged... If all agree upon it, source might be wrong...

What is the source of this question ??? Is the OE not provided?

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Manager
Manager

Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 08:57
ezhilkumarank wrote:
imania wrote:

A website, it said OA is C!!!!!!!
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 51 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
imania wrote:
ezhilkumarank wrote:
imania wrote:

A website, it said OA is C!!!!!!!

The conclusion says that the advertisers still have sense of moral propriety left in them. Which choice strengths that believe ?

Sure, they do. But how does that show that they have sense of .... left ? A.The advertisers regularly review the placement of their advertisements.

OK, maybe rare. So ? B.It is a rare event for several advertisers to withdraw all their advertisements simultaneously from a publication.

So, even though they will loose money, they have still removed the ads from this magazine !!!!! Isn't the overall motive about making money. So if they are loosing money due to pulling out the ad, something must be really bothering them. Maybe there sense of moral .... kicked in ? C.The advertisers, when questioned, admitted that their clients would lose revenue as a result of the advertisements being withdrawn.

A possible choice. They canceled the ad from the other magazine and placed it with someone who cares about family value. D.The advertisers all placed new advertisements with other publications that emphasized family values.

Sure, standard has fallen, but does that help us decide if the advertisement company real has a sense of ..... E.A survey of the readership of Magazine X suggested that the majority of the readership think that the standard of the magazine's contents had fallen since its transformation.

Between C & D, D only says that they placed ads with other company that has family values, so that means these advertisers really care about family values. BUT, the fact they canceled ads even though they had to loose money shows that they have really got sense of ........

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager

Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 11:49
I'm happy to see more support on D :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 12:18
imania wrote:
I'm happy to see more support on D :)

Sorry to disappoint but if you read my post, the final sentence, C is better than D, more powerful !

Posted from my mobile device Image

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager

Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 12:34
oops, I had not read carefully
thank you for the explanation.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 13:31
D for me. . . C seems to imply a monetary rather than moral reason for the change
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 14:09
C for me. If they are withdrawing the ads and losing the money at that, it must be a moral reason.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 14:34
I am torn between C & D but can't decide the right answer. Over-analyzing it might give an answer but don't think it is a true GMATy type question as GMAT questions will almost always have exactly only one sentence that would strengthen the conclusion and I can easily see two choices doing the same over here.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 19:08
I pick D. What's the OA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 01:04
razorback wrote:
C for me. If they are withdrawing the ads and losing the money at that, it must be a moral reason.

I agree with razorback , C should be the answer .. while C and D are probable choices , Find below the Comparison of the two -

C.The advertisers, when questioned, admitted that their clients would lose revenue as a result of the advertisements being withdrawn. This ultimately means that the advertisers will lose revenue .. so their choice to withdraw indicates a moral responsibility
D.The advertisers all placed new advertisements with other publications that emphasised family values.- There can be other reasons for their placing new advertisements which emphais family values .. May be the existing trend of the target audience is one that prefers family values..

I hope its clear :)

As a reference there is a similar problem in OG12 i suppose which talks about TV channels and elections.

This time , its my time .

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ads [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 05:52
misinterpreted the ans choice and fell for D

Gonna make it this time

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 00:33
It has to be D.

There is nothing that will point to anything related to MORAL VALUES in C.

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-07-2013
GPA: 3.33
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 13

Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 00:45
C is a better one here as the advertisers might just have placed their ads in magazines with family values ( as narrated in D) by sheer popularity among target customers or any other reason. Their moral inclination to place advertisements is only justified by C which mentions that the companies are sticking with their decision even when they are going to incur losses.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 41

Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 22:30
imania wrote:

----------------------------------------------------

For D, i think it states "new advertisements".... it does not convey the intended meaning that same advertisements were replaced..

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 09:46
hmmm ... Most of the explanation that are pointing towards C in this thread are like they got to know the OA and somehow trying their mind to believe that answer should be C.

:( .. this is a debatable question.

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 612 [1] , given: 5

Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is GMAT Pill CR Framework #4 Exclusive Negation

The argument is that "morality" was the only thing governing the advertiser's decision to withdraw their ads from the magazine.

So the framework says to put it like this:
Argument: "morality" --> exclusively leads to --> withdraw ads
Negation: "other factors" --> did not affect --> withdraw ads

(C) brings up a factor "financial reasons" and discounts financial reasons as a possible factor in affecting the decision to withdraw ads. If withdrawing ads was a financial BENEFIT, then they may have decided to withdraw ads based on financial reasons. But (C) clearly states that by withdrawing, there would be a financial DISBENEFIT. As a result, it cannot possibly be the case that "financial reasons" (an example of "other factors") affected the decision to withdraw ads.

(C) is an example of the negation and thus helps strengthen. GMATPill Framework #4 Exclusive Negation successfully conquers this question.

With (D) signing up for other publications that value family -- this does not necessarily mean they did it for moral reasons. They may have done it for financial reasons primarily. (D) works but (C) is stronger.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Recently, several advertisers have withdrawn their   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2013, 09:59