Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 09:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 329
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 21:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (02:30) correct 16% (02:15) wrong based on 6 sessions
Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed out that this country is the only advanced industrialized nation without a national vaccine laboratory and suggested that this lack makes the American public more vulnerable than other developed nations to infectious diseases, such as avian flu. A government official said these critics were disloyal and thus wrong about the public’s vulnerability. To support his claim, the official cited the generally long life span and low infant mortality of United States citizens, relative to all United Nation member nations. Mentioning the high quality of American hospitals, he added that all of the Europeans that he knew preferred to undergo major medical treatments in the United States rather than in the socialized medical systems in place in their home countries.

All of the following are weaknesses or potential weaknesses in the official’s argument EXCEPT:

The high quality of hospitals in the United States is not a factor affecting the public’s vulnerability to infectious disease.
Whether or not the critics are disloyal has no bearing on whether or not they are wrong.

The Europeans that the official cited are a demographically narrow sample, overwhelmingly composed of wealthy males over the age of fifty.

The average life span of United States citizens is determined not only by deaths due to infectious diseases but also by deaths due to all other causes.

Comparing the United States to all United Nations member nations does not address the concern that the U.S. is behind other advanced industrialized nations in a particular way.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 01 Jun 2006
Posts: 142
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Ameica Public/Hospitals (good CR) [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 22:11
B for me. All the others undermine the official's argument.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Ameica Public/Hospitals (good CR) [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 22:27
This seems to be analogy question.
Option A can be directly from argument which will undermine the govt official claims
Manager
Manager
Joined: 14 Jun 2007
Posts: 171
Location: Vienna, Austria
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Ameica Public/Hospitals (good CR) [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 22:45
VP
VP
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Ameica Public/Hospitals (good CR) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 19:29
x97agarwal wrote:
Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed out that this country is the only advanced industrialized nation without a national vaccine laboratory and suggested that this lack makes the American public more vulnerable than other developed nations to infectious diseases, such as avian flu. A government official said these critics were disloyal and thus wrong about the public’s vulnerability. To support his claim, the official cited the generally long life span and low infant mortality of United States citizens, relative to all United Nation member nations. Mentioning the high quality of American hospitals, he added that all of the Europeans that he knew preferred to undergo major medical treatments in the United States rather than in the socialized medical systems in place in their home countries.

All of the following are weaknesses or potential weaknesses in the official’s argument EXCEPT:

The high quality of hospitals in the United States is not a factor affecting the public’s vulnerability to infectious disease. -> this weakens

Whether or not the critics are disloyal has no bearing on whether or not they are wrong. -> this weakens the officials claim that critics are wrong

The Europeans that the official cited are a demographically narrow sample, overwhelmingly composed of wealthy males over the age of fifty. -> weakens since not a valid evidence given by him

The average life span of United States citizens is determined not only by deaths due to infectious diseases but also by deaths due to all other causes. -> weakens other causes do play a roile so cannot be stated as evidence for this scenario

Comparing the United States to all United Nations member nations does not address the concern that the U.S. is behind other advanced industrialized nations in a particular way. -> this is actually an irrelevant point here hence does not weaken the official argument.this is general statement


IMO E
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Ameica Public/Hospitals (good CR) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 19:31
spriya wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:
Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed out that this country is the only advanced industrialized nation without a national vaccine laboratory and suggested that this lack makes the American public more vulnerable than other developed nations to infectious diseases, such as avian flu. A government official said these critics were disloyal and thus wrong about the public’s vulnerability. To support his claim, the official cited the generally long life span and low infant mortality of United States citizens, relative to all United Nation member nations. Mentioning the high quality of American hospitals, he added that all of the Europeans that he knew preferred to undergo major medical treatments in the United States rather than in the socialized medical systems in place in their home countries.

All of the following are weaknesses or potential weaknesses in the official’s argument EXCEPT:

The high quality of hospitals in the United States is not a factor affecting the public’s vulnerability to infectious disease. -> this weakens

Whether or not the critics are disloyal has no bearing on whether or not they are wrong. -> this weakens the officials claim that critics are wrong

The Europeans that the official cited are a demographically narrow sample, overwhelmingly composed of wealthy males over the age of fifty. -> weakens since not a valid evidence given by him

The average life span of United States citizens is determined not only by deaths due to infectious diseases but also by deaths due to all other causes. -> weakens other causes do play a roile so cannot be stated as evidence for this scenario

Comparing the United States to all United Nations member nations does not address the concern that the U.S. is behind other advanced industrialized nations in a particular way. -> this is actually an irrelevant point here hence does not weaken the official argument.this is general statement


IMO E

Kindly post in the OA
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 146
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Ameica Public/Hospitals (good CR) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 06:35
Ans - A

Good Quality of Hospital only comes in play at the time of treatment. It wont minimize the vulnerability to infectious diseases,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 329
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Ameica Public/Hospitals (good CR) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 07:19
OA is A
VP
VP
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Ameica Public/Hospitals (good CR) [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 09:40
humtum0 wrote:
Ans - A

Good Quality of Hospital only comes in play at the time of treatment. It wont minimize the vulnerability to infectious diseases,

Agreed !!i overlooked the vulnerability of infection
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 957
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 48

Kudos [?]: 625 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Ameica Public/Hospitals (good CR) [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 05:20
Guys,
How A can be the OA?

We have to find a choice which does not weaken the official's claim while choice A says that-high quality of hospitals in the United States is not a factor affecting the
public’s vulnerability to infectious disease.

If I go with the official claim then it says high quality of hospitals reduces the vulnerability. So, to weaken this - we can say high quality of hospitals is not necessary minimizing the public's vulnerablity. Thus, it does weaken the claim by the official.

Please provide some more details.
_________________

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 70
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 10:15
The official's conclusion is that people who claim that the U.S. is more vulnerable
than other nations because of the country's lack of a national vaccine laboratory
are disloyal and incorrect. His basis for that conclusion is that the U.S. has
generally long life span and low infant mortality relative to all UN countries.
Moreover, he cites the high quality of American hospitals, and he adds that many
people he knows from around the world come to the U.S. for medical care. We
are asked to find the choice that does NOT point out a weakness or potential
weakness in the official's argument.
(A) CORRECT. This choice states that the high quality of hospitals is not a factor
affecting the public's vulnerability to infectious disease. However, the quality of
hospitals very arguably does affect how vulnerable the public is to such disease.
(B) This choice highlights the official's logical jump from "disloyal" to "wrong" in
the phrase "these critics are disloyal and thus wrong about the public's
vulnerability." There is no necessary connection between disloyalty and
wrongness.
(C) If the Europeans that the official cited overwhelmingly consist of wealthy men
over the age of fifty, then the official relied on an unrepresentative sample to
justify his claim. What is true of wealthy older European men is not necessarily
true of Europeans or non-Americans generally.
(D) If the average life span of Americans is determined by causes other than
infectious disease, then the official is not limiting his evidence to cases relating to
vaccines. Other causes of death are not relevant to the critics' argument.
(E) The ranking of the United States relative to all UN countries is misleading,
since it does not compare the U.S. to other "advanced industrialized" or
"developed" nations, as the critics' claim does.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Jun 2013
Posts: 31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 35

Re: Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2013, 10:56
this ques has many flaws...admitted by MGMAT instructor.... please refer following link
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/rec ... t1089.html
Manager
Manager
Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 142
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 00:14
Unable to decide between A and B.

CAn some one please explain how to chose between A and B. B looks the one which does not weaken the arguement but every body seems to be content with A.

Also the link given here recently-many-critics-of-the-u-s-government-have-pointed-34515.html?hilit=Recently,%20some%20critics%20of%20the%20U.S.%20government%20have%20pointed%20out%20that%20this%20country%20is%20the%20only%20advanced

It Does not contain the same wordings as it misses the part about US hospitals in the last sentence. Also Manhattan has dismissed this question saying too many flaws in it .

Still I would like to know what makes A better than B.

Regards,
Abhinav
_________________

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Re: Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2013, 00:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Governments have only one response to public criticism of Geethu 5 13 Aug 2004, 14:31
New posts Governments have only one response to public criticism of MA 6 19 Apr 2005, 13:30
New posts Recently, many critics of the U.S. government have pointed gmatcrook 9 31 Aug 2006, 07:57
Popular new posts Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed mm007 18 03 Jun 2007, 18:14
Popular new posts 12 Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed vinayakv 10 27 Sep 2012, 10:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Recently, some critics of the U.S. government have pointed

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.