Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently, the research and development departments at major

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Keep fighting!
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 238
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 182 [5] , given: 104

Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 16:41
5
This post received
KUDOS
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

28% (02:23) correct 72% (01:33) wrong based on 1011 sessions
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

(a)major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
(b)a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
(c)a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
(d)children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
(e)the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hemanthp on 18 Oct 2010, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 176
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 25

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 19:13
I go for B.
_________________

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 01:26
Major pharmaceutical companies states that new injection that provides iron boost would help anemic children to reverse their condition. Then these companies conclude that anemic children can be simply cured by using such biochemical supplements. The assumption here is that children intake enough or sufficient iron only by injection biochemical supplement, not by other methods such as eating a diet rich in iron or taking pills that supplement iron.
IMO, C is the answer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Mesmerized
Joined: 24 Jan 2010
Posts: 181
Location: UAE, Dubai
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 01:39
C for me
_________________

Nanquam Fractum

7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Keep fighting!
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 238
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 182 [7] , given: 104

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 02:08
7
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hemanthp wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children


the OA is D. I was stuck between B and D. Went for B but realized D also makes sense.

B - talks about the cause. I made the mistake of using my knowledge of anemia and concluded that the only reason for anemia is iron deficiency. That might or might not be the case but what the company is claiming is that anemia can be cured with iron injection. So B isn't necessarily an assumption necessary.
C - the key here is the claim that it can be "relatively simply" cured. While diet might be a way but we do not know if it is simple or not. May be it takes many years to cure. even if diet does cure it is not necessary to assume that everyone has access to diet or the injection will not cure. we should focus on the injections. moving on to diet is a scope shift.
D - This works well if you negate it. If children refuse to take or are unaware of such a thing ..it then it just isnt going to work. So D has to be an assumption that the pharma company has to work with.

Please KUDOS me if you like the post.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 00:02
i would go with B.

The companies are just saying that their medicine will cure people suffering from anemia . so how D?

I need more explanation if OA is D
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5379 [9] , given: 165

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 07:26
9
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hemanthp wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide [highlight]the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition[/highlight]. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect (desired effect is that children will be cured), the pharmaceutical companies assume that

(A) major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia (Irrelevant)
(B) a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children (Look at the highlighted part above. This is something already mentioned in the stimulus. It has to be taken as true. It is not an assumption)
(C) a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary (The point here is not whether diet can cure anemia or not. The point is can the children be cured by the use of the injection. Even if diet can cure the children and injections become unnecessary, still we want to establish whether the injection can also cure the children)
(D) children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions (Children will be cured if they come to get the injection and the injection is effective. Here the assumption is that the children will come to get the injection. They will not be cured by this method, if they don't come to get the injection)
(E) the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children (Irrelevant to the question - very important otherwise

I would have preferred an assumption such as 'Iron is the only thing you need to be cured' but well, you live with what you get!


_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2010
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 07:38
hemanthp wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from [highlight]anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements[/highlight].

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children

Made a mistake on this one. Any clues? Will refrain from giving the OA rightaway. Will do in 24 hours.

Please KUDOS me if you like the question.



@above
But the comapany says with the use of biochemical supplements.

The company explicitly specified with the use of biochemical supplements.
The company is true on their part but if students don`t get to know about the medicine that is their problem.

Last edited by adityajawa on 13 Nov 2010, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5379 [0], given: 165

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 12:08
Expert's post
adityajawa wrote:

@above
But the comapany says with the use of biochemical supplements.



I am not sure what your question is. Is it that they say that anemia will be cured by the use of biochemical supplements, not the injection?
If yes, then they mention "In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect..." which definitely implies the injection that is being developed is a biochemical remedy.
If your question is something else, please clarify.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5379 [0], given: 165

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 16:01
Expert's post
adityajawa wrote:


@above
But the comapany says with the use of biochemical supplements.

The company explicitly specified with the use of biochemical supplements.
The company is true on their part but if students don`t get to know about the medicine that is their problem.


Look at it this way. The question specifically states "In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect" ... They are concluding that it will have desired effect.. What is the desired effect? It is that children WILL BE cured.
If we are concluding that they will be cured, we are assuming that they will be willing to use the injection...

If I say, my method of solving equations will change the way people do Math. What are my assumptions? Not just that my method is effective but also that people will be willing to use my method.

At Veritas, we use something called Assumption Negation Technique. An assumption is a missing necessary premise. In case assumption is negated, the conclusion cannot be true.
So if we negate the option "children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions" and make it "children afflicted with anemia will not find out about the injection and will not submit to it", then can we conclude that the injection will cure the children? No. So it has to be an assumption.

Besides, there isn't any other option even close to being an assumption.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

3 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 978
Location: Toronto
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 710 [3] , given: 3

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 17:17
3
This post received
KUDOS
hemanthp wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children


I have serious issues with the wording here, since it's open to two completely legitimate interpretations; the phrase "children who are suffering from anemia will be cured" could mean two different things. It could mean "*all* children with anemia will be cured" (this is the interpretation that they intend), or it could mean "this supplement is a successful cure for anemia". I find the second interpretation far more reasonable than the first. To give a parallel example, if a veterinarian says "this injection will cure rabies in dogs", he or she surely doesn't mean "because of this injection, rabies will, in the future, be completely eradicated in dogs". Instead he or she means "if a dog takes this injection, the dog's rabies will be cured".

Now, if you take "children who are suffering from anemia will be cured" to mean "this supplement is an effective cure for those who take it", then D is not a relevant assumption at all; a supplement can be an effective cure for a disease even if no one actually uses it. Only B would be a good answer in that case. I disagree with the posts above which dismiss B as an assumption; it is an assumption in the argument. The stem tells us that iron boosts are *necessary* to reverse anemia. The stem does not tell us that iron boosts are *sufficient* to reverse anemia. The iron supplements will only reverse anemia if nothing in addition to iron is needed to reverse anemia. To give a different example, if I say "I need a tent to go camping. I have a tent, so I can go camping", then I'm assuming that a tent is *all* I need to go camping - that is, I'm assuming that the tent alone is sufficient for camping, and that I don't need, say, food as well. Since B suggests that iron supplements are the only thing required to reverse anemia, it does provide a missing assumption in the argument.

Now, if instead you interpret "children who are suffering from anemia will be cured" to mean that anemia will be eliminated because of the supplement, then D is certainly a good answer, but I think that's a bizarre way to interpret the question stem here.

Given how I interpret the question, I think B is a better answer than D here, though someone who interprets the question differently can certainly justify answer D. I find the whole question problematic, so I wouldn't suggest devoting much time to it.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 59
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 19:01
I m confused B\W C & D

argmnt: use of injctn -> boost the iron agnst anemia
Co confident that treatment by bio suppmnts is the simple way to treat anemia

C- co. is confident as assuming that only injection is the way to treat & no other way such as food can treat better.

D - co. is confident as assuming that children ll submit themselves for injection

plz sort out confusion????????
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4877
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5379 [1] , given: 165

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 19:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I definitely agree with you Ian.
My concern is that option B says:
"a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children"

They call it the major factor, something that is necessary, not the only factor. (Again a matter of interpretation, I guess)

Therefore, I feel the need to discount it and look for an alternative. This leads me to interpret it the way they meant it.

As I said in my first post of this topic - I would have preferred an assumption such as 'Iron is the only thing you need to be cured'

But of course, no point spending too much time on it.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 161
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 04:36
I picked C! :(
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 183
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 20

Re: Anemia - Kaplan CR [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 04:17
I thought that the B is already mentioned in the stimulous as premise and so couldn't be an answer. Still went for it.

I was not convinced with the placement of words in option -D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 21
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 00:02
a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children

B can be eliminated on the basis that it talks about incidence of anemia which is incorrect.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 201
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 22

Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 02:15
1
This post received
KUDOS
Major factor for anemia --> Iron Deficiency
Pharamaceutical companies are coming up with an injection which boosts iron content in the patient, thus curing anemia/closing the iron deficiency gap.

Option A - Primary responsibility of companies has nothing to do with arguement mentioned
Option B - Already mentioned in the Premise
Option C - There might be other ways of filling the gap of iron content other than injections but it is irrelevant in this context.
Option E - Safety of the injections has no relevance to the arguement

Option D - Companies can see more of these injections only if the children are ready to go for it. Once the children with such ailments know about these injections, they will do whatever they can to reverse their condition. This is the most logical assumption of the Pharmaceutical companies.

I hope this helps...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 171
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 10:56
Initially I marked it wrong with option B.

Thanks Karishma for the explanation to this question.
It made my approach clear.
_________________

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 04:56
I was stuck between B and D. Then I used the "negating method". When you "negate B", It doesn't destroy the conclusion. But when you "negate D", it does so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Student
Joined: 26 Aug 2013
Posts: 265
Location: France
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 401

Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 00:19
hemanthp wrote:
Recently, the research and development departments at major pharmaceutical companies have been experimenting with new injections that provide the boost in iron that anemic children need to reverse their condition. These companies have expressed confidence that children who are suffering from anemia will be cured relatively simply through the use of such biochemical supplements.

In concluding that the biochemical remedy being developed will have its desired effect, the pharmaceutical companies assume that

(a)major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia
(b)a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children
(c)a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary
(d)children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions
(e)the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children


Got it, but in 3:22..

My process:

(a)major pharmaceutical companies have the primary responsibility to cure childhood anemia - Out of scope - WRONG
(b)a low iron level in the body is the major factor influencing the incidence of anemia in children - Hard one, but perhaps the tretment is about only one small factor that could not be curred or a factor that was not subject to any research - WRONG
(c)a diet rich in iron cannot improve the conditions of children suffering from anemia to the point that biochemical supplements would become unnecessary - Out of scope - WRONG
(d)children afflicted with anemia will find out about and submit to injections that can reverse their conditions CORRECT
(e)the use of biochemical supplements is the safest way to cure anemia in children - Out of scope - WRONG

Hope it helps!
_________________

Think outside the box

Re: Recently, the research and development departments at major   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2014, 00:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
9 Experts publish their posts in the topic Recently, the research and development departments at major aakrity 8 04 Oct 2013, 07:38
4 Recently, the research and development departments at major bschool83 14 10 Jul 2011, 09:02
Recently, the research and development departments at major mbaaspirant 9 26 Sep 2006, 22:20
6 Recently, the research and development departments of major asaratchandra 10 11 Sep 2005, 09:07
Because of the enormous research and development qhoc0010 6 02 Dec 2004, 12:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Recently, the research and development departments at major

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.