Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recidivism is the return to criminal behavior, and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 41

Recidivism is the return to criminal behavior, and [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 06:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (02:24) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 12 sessions
Recidivism is the return to criminal behavior, and consequently a return to prison, of a former prisoner who has already served in incarceration for a criminal conviction. In the United States, most burglars and common thieves have a recidivist rate above 70%. Studies have shown that, when available, those incarcerated burglars and thieves who pursue post-secondary education while in prison have substantially lower recidivism rates. Therefore, the government should fund programs that assist incarcerated burglars and thieves in pursuing higher education, especially since ___________________________.

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

A right now, only a small percentage of all incarcerated burglars and thieves are pursuing any educational opportunities.
B a wider education would allow those currently incarcerated to understand and appreciate the high incidence of recidivism
C the cost of providing a complete post-secondary education would almost double the yearly costs associated with keeping that person incarcerated
D higher educational level provides wider job opportunities, and according to studies, poverty is one of the chief causes of recidivism.
E convicts with certain mental illnesses tend to lapse into recidivism regardless of the opportunities and support they encounter upon their release

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why Not C, as the funding is required to cover the cost, so C i feel should be more appropriate. Even though D seems logical but as we are talking about "funding", we need to understand the cost too....
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 85

Re: Critical Reasoning Recidivsm! [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hi kapilagrawal123

The purpose of the government is to reduce recidivism rates by funding programs that assist incarcerated burglars and thieves in pursuing higher education. Hence, the funding is not the scope i.e the reason behind the proposal but to reduce recidivism since : higher educational level provides wider job opportunities, and according to studies, poverty is one of the chief causes of recidivism.

Hope that helps !

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Critical Reasoning Recidivsm! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 17:42
Rock750 wrote:
Hi kapilagrawal123

The purpose of the government is to reduce recidivism rates by funding programs that assist incarcerated burglars and thieves in pursuing higher education. Hence, the funding is not the scope i.e the reason behind the proposal but to reduce recidivism since : higher educational level provides wider job opportunities, and according to studies, poverty is one of the chief causes of recidivism.

Hope that helps !

I picked D because it is the best among all other options. But I am not convinced!

I am not convinced with your argument. You said that : "the purpose of the government is to reduce recidivism rates". Where did you get that argument?

Let think:

I you were a government officer, somebody told you that you should provide the funding for the program because the program will help bla bla bla bla.... You then ask your self. Wait a minute, why me, not other should provide the funding?

The question here is quite vague!

I think the piece of information that need to fill here is to explain why the government should provide the funding, not the benefit of the program.

Choice F: Only government should be able to provide the funding!.

What do you think?
Re: Critical Reasoning Recidivsm!   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2013, 17:42