Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recomendation from someone who got laid off.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Recomendation from someone who got laid off. [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 11:49
So here is an interesting question.
How would a former managers manager who got laid off look like to the adcom. This person was a high up VP and this person has actually known me for most of my career at my current company, but this person is at this point no longer with my company, so by the time of essays will either have no job or a position with another company.

Basically I do have alternatives but I feel this person could give a good recommendation, would the adcoms look negatively upon his/her recommendation?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Recomendation from someone who got laid off. [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 13:20
yevgeniy11223 wrote:
How would a former managers manager who got laid off look like to the adcom. This person was a high up VP and this person has actually known me for most of my career at my current company, but this person is at this point no longer with my company, so by the time of essays will either have no job or a position with another company.

Basically I do have alternatives but I feel this person could give a good recommendation, would the adcoms look negatively upon his/her recommendation?

Why does the adcom need to know that this person was laid off. As long as he/she can speak to your work in a professional capacity I don't think it matters that this person is no longer with the company. They aren't doing a background check on this person's work history.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: Recomendation from someone who got laid off. [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 13:52
yevgeniy11223 wrote:

Hello,

I do not think it makes any difference for the adcom whether the person recommending you is currently working or not.

The school wants to know what the concerned think/thought about you during your association with him/her, and at the end of the day who knows that he has been laid off ? .

Just to counter your apprehension, there could be so many reasons that could have led him to move out of his current job (his future plans as entrepreneurs etc), though this is irrelevant to mention or give thought to.

I would strongly encourage to have recommendation from someone who has known you well, else the concerned can not craft good stories in his recommedation.

Hope this helps

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Recomendation from someone who got laid off. [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 04:55
Thanks yes it does help.
About not telling adcoms, isn't there a spot on the form where one puts the persons positions and title?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Recomendation from someone who got laid off. [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 05:08
The adcoms stress on sending the invite on official ids and not personal/gmail ids. Won't a laid off person not have an official id?
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Recomendation from someone who got laid off. [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 05:12
rni wrote:
The adcoms stress on sending the invite on official ids and not personal/gmail ids. Won't a laid off person not have an official id?

I don't recall hearing this. I did use people's work emails to send the recommendation forms but only because that was the only email address I had for them. Interesting.

Oh, just because someone was laid off from one job doesn't mean they don't have another job now.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Recomendation from someone who got laid off. [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 05:15
yevgeniy11223 wrote:
Thanks yes it does help.
About not telling adcoms, isn't there a spot on the form where one puts the persons positions and title?

You do put their position and title, but if there isn't one or it's with a different company I do not think it matters. The adcom doesn't know why that person isn't with the company anymore and they don't need to know. You don't have to give the rundown of your recommenders work history. Not being employed currently could be due to a voluntary leave of absence, retirement, etc. I just don't think it's something you have to disclose. They really just want to know the person's position when you worked with them and how they know YOU.

But I could be wrong. Try the admissions consultant board and ask this question to them. They may have more knowledge about it.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Recomendation from someone who got laid off. [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 04:37
cheetarah1980 wrote:
rni wrote:

I don't recall hearing this. I did use people's work emails to send the recommendation forms but only because that was the only email address I had for them. Interesting.

Oh, just because someone was laid off from one job doesn't mean they don't have another job now.

got this from ISB's website

The evaluator's email id has to be an organisation id and not a personal one. If your evaluator is working for one organisation (say McKinsey) and working on a project with another organisation (Say Govt. of India), please provide the email id of your evaluator issued by McKinsey only.
Re: Recomendation from someone who got laid off.   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2012, 04:37