Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recommendation Concern...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Recommendation Concern... [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2007, 18:03
I have secured two recommenders, but neither is my current supervisor.

Breakdown:

Rec 1: Former supervisor/owner of previous company, small company 2 yrs experience w/ company

Rec 2: Senior Manager at North American Headquarters (I do not work at headquarters). I do work with this manager quite frequently, but often over the telephone.

My Question:

Am I making a mistake by using a recommender who is not at my physical location? I know I will get a very good recommendation from him, but will the adcom downgrade it, or will they even notice that he works in another city?

Other options:

1) Use a co-worker
2) Use a supervisor from another department, they would speak well of me... but perhaps not as well as the manager at headquarters

What should I do? Am I doing the right thing? I'm almost out of time, but I could change course if I work really hard to get it done.
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2007, 19:19
I don't think location really matters. It seems that you have worked with this manager quite extensively and that he can comment objectively on your performance. I guess that is exactly what the AdCom is looking for. If I were you, I would go ahead and use the manager from the HQ.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2007, 19:19
I haven't used my current supervisor as a recommender. My two recommendations came from people that worked with me in the same building, though. I would explain why you chose your recommenders in the optional essay. I don't think you have to worry. It's better to get recommendations from people that know you well and can back that up with concrete examples.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2007, 19:25
This topic was beaten to death a few months ago so if you use the search function. Specify this form, pic threads, and search for recommendations. That will give you a lot more information than your thread will probably get but here is my take on you situation.

1) User your former sup as one definitely. Thats their second most desirable person to do a rec behind a current supervisor.

2) A common question of recommenders is their interactions with you. So if he can say he interacts with you on a near daily basis he will work.

DO NOT use a co-worker unless you absolutely had to. Its a terrible idea, unless the school asks for a peer recommendation.

Since you aren't using a current supervisor, most schools will want to know why you didn't get one from him/her. So you need a good reason, that way they don't think its because you thought they wouldn't give you a good rec.

Make sure you give your recommenders the forms, and some info on why you want an MBA, future career goals...you want to walk them through the process.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2007, 22:31
riverripper wrote:
Make sure you give your recommenders the forms, and some info on why you want an MBA, future career goals...you want to walk them through the process.

Everything river said, and he would probably add, "don't give your recommenders 44 pages of background info like Kryzak did." :wink:

But in all seriousness, give them enough info so they can answer each question from the school easily (with enough material and examples). One of my recommenders really appreciated (and asked for more examples!) the package. The other didn't really look at it (it seemed).
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2007, 23:39
kryzak wrote:

Everything river said, and he would probably add, "don't give your recommenders 44 pages of background info like Kryzak did." :wink:

Lol kryzak...but seriously as long as the LOR is written by someone who can say that they've been your manager and have directly worked with you it's all good. I second river and kryzak's suggestions on examples.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2007, 23:54
as long as u have worked for the person in some capacity, its good enough...

kryzak and river already made their points here... and this thread has seen much activity. I would recommend you to do a search and find out about recommenders.
  [#permalink] 29 Nov 2007, 23:54