Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recommendation - Deceived

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

Recommendation - Deceived [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 07:18
My previous supervisor deceived me. Two months ago I asked him to write recos for me and he agreed. But now he straight away denied and told me that he is two busy and can not spare time. He gave me this shock just 8 days before INSEAD deadline.

Now I have few questions:

1. I have only spent 8 months in my current project. Will it be OK if I ask my current supervisor?
2. Is it OK to ask somebody from my client who is my peer not supervisor? He don't have any direct reports.
3. How about one of the B-School (Rotman, Canada) graduate with whom I worked for a year in 2003? He was my supervisor.

I would really appreciate a quick reply.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 08:05
Have you considered moving your application to R3? Unlike other schools, you would not be lowering your chances.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Recommendation - Deceived [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 08:14
ps_dahiya wrote:
My previous supervisor deceived me. Two months ago I asked him to write recos for me and he agreed. But now he straight away denied and told me that he is two busy and can not spare time. He gave me this shock just 8 days before INSEAD deadline.

1. I have only spent 8 months in my current project. Will it be OK if I ask my current supervisor?
2. Is it OK to ask somebody from my client who is my peer not supervisor? He don't have any direct reports.
3. How about one of the B-School (Rotman, Canada) graduate with whom I worked for a year in 2003? He was my supervisor.

That sucks man.

1. 8 months is plenty to have examples of your work. I would ask him.

2. No. It would look bad.

3. Even better. Your situation is not that bad. I would ask both person 1 and 2 and see what their response is. I would ask your current supervisor first though.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: Recommendation - Deceived [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 08:39
1 and 3 both sound good. 3 might be able to perform a better job given his/her MBA background.

ps_dahiya wrote:

SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 10:44
That sucks, but it's probably a good thing. You don't want a recommendation from someone like that anyways. I'd go with #1. 8 months is plenty of time, and most schools want your current supervisor anyways.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 11:25
What a jackass - complete lack of professionalism and empathy. (1) and (3) do sound good, don't go with (2).

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 16:11
You are fortunate that it shocked you now. People like that get u out the door really fast. Try option 1. U still have time.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: ) [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 16:57
brufarber wrote:
You are fortunate that it shocked you now. People like that get u out the door really fast. Try option 1. U still have time.

you can go for option 1.. my immediate supervisor knew me for ten months when he gave his reco letter. 8 months is gud enough time to evaluate a person. Dont worry about the time period much if you can get a stellar reco..All the best!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 17:23
try #1, but does #1 know that you may plan to leave.. thats the potential issue i see with #1..

i care for you.. my previous supervisors did the same thing... it sucked.. they did not even bother meailing or phoning me back.. and while i worked there, i was treated like a superhero (seriously!)..
  [#permalink] 29 Nov 2006, 17:23