Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recommendation Guidelines by School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Recommendation Guidelines by School [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 19:17
I thought it would be handy to compile the recommendation guidelines of each school for those who are having trouble identifying who to ask or keeping track of how many. Feel free to add to the thread.

Berkeley (2 recommendations)
Quote:
We require two letters of recommendation and prefer that at least one come from a current employer. Select individuals with whom you have had considerable professional interaction, such as your supervisor or a major client. The title or status of those you select is not important. What does matter is how closely your letter writers have worked with you and whether they can attest to your value as an employee, your professional accomplishments, and your personal qualities and interpersonal skills in an organizational context. For this reason, we strongly discourage academic references. Letters of recommendation from co-workers, someone you have supervised, relatives, or personal and family friends are inappropriate and can be detrimental to the review of your application. Please do not submit more than two letters, and if you choose not to obtain a letter from your current supervisor, be certain to explain why.

Dartmouth (2 recommendations)
Quote:
The Confidential Statement of Qualifications (CSQ) form should be given to two people capable of commenting on your professional, leadership, and intellectual capabilities. The most useful evaluations are from people who are able to speak with certainty about your leadership, maturity, team orientation, analytical skills, and interpersonal skills. If you are currently employed we prefer that you choose people who know you well and who are in a position to judge your professional performance and leadership, such as a direct supervisor. If you are a college senior, submit one CSQ from a professor and one CSQ from a summer or former employer who knows you through a leadership role. Generally, unless you are a college senior, we do not find CSQs from professors to be helpful in our evaluations.

Harvard (3 recommendations)
(Could not find any specific guidelines.)

Northwestern (2 recommendations)
Quote:
Ideally, one of your letters of recommendation, or Career Progress Surveys, should be written by your current supervisor or manager. The second letter of recommendation also should be from someone who can objectively evaluate your professional performance as well as managerial and leadership potential, such as a former supervisor, previous employer, client, etc. If you are unable to ask a current supervisor or manager for a letter of recommendation, please include a brief statement regarding your choice in the Additional Information section of Part 2 of the application.

Stanford (3 recommendations)
Quote:
Professional/Workplace
You must obtain at least one Letter of Reference from your current direct supervisor. If you are unable to provide a letter from your current direct supervisor, include a brief note of explanation in the Additional Information section of your application.

Your second Professional/Workplace Letter of Reference must come from someone in a position to evaluate your work - a current supervisor, a previous supervisor, a client, etc.

Peer/Team
For your peer reference, please choose an individual with whom you have worked on a team or project, in a position equal to your own. This person could come from any of your team experiences: charitable, extracurricular, professional, or other. The recommender cannot be a supervisor or subordinate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Recommendation Guidelines by School [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 01:17
Hi guys,

MIT SLOAN

Quote:
Recommendations
Please obtain only two recommendations on your behalf (three if you are applying to the BEP or LFM Program) from individuals who are able to speak with certainty about your professional achievements and potential.

Please choose recommenders who are able to provide specific answers to the following questions:

How long and in what capacity have you known the applicant?
How does the applicant stand out from others in a similar capacity?
Please give an example of the applicant's impact on a person, group, or organization.
Please give a representative example of how the applicant interacts with other people.
Which of the applicant's personal or professional characteristics would you change?
Please tell us anything else you think we should know about this applicant.
Please note that the LFM and the BEP programs require three evaluations, and one of the three should be from an academic source or someone who can speak definitively of your technical skills.

Recommenders may submit recommendations either online or through the mail. Recommendations should be up to two pages each.

ONLINE RECOMMENDATIONS
Please click on the “Recommendations” link in the left navigation bar and follow the instructions for online recommendation submission. Please ensure that your recommenders submit the recommendations by the appropriate deadline.

MAILED RECOMMENDATIONS
If your recommenders elect to submit a paper recommendation, please allow sufficient time for your recommenders to write your evaluation and ask them to mail it to you. Please advise your recommenders to use your formal full name as it is entered on the application, not your nickname, so that we can match it with your online application.

If both of your recommenders elect to mail in the recommendations, you must send the recommendations together in one envelope and address it as shown below. Please write on the outside of the envelope the application round (MBA Round I, MBA Round II, BEP or LFM Program) for which you are applying.

MIT Sloan School of Management
MBA Application Materials (indicate Round I, II, BEP or LFM)
50 Memorial Drive, Suite E52-126
Cambridge, MA 02142-1347

Attachments

File comment: Form for Recommenders
MIT_recommendation_form.pdf [55.26 KiB]
Downloaded 189 times

To download please login or register as a user

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Last edited by JohnLewis1980 on 26 Aug 2008, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Recommendation Guidelines by School [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 01:19
Hi guys,

Michigan Ross

Attachments

Michigan_Ross_Recommendation_Questions.pdf [45.58 KiB]
Downloaded 71 times

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Recommendation Guidelines by School [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 01:23
Hi guys,

USC Marshall

Quote:
As part of the application process, we require two recommendations to be submitted on-line. We use these recommendations as a gauge of your professional achievements and managerial potential. We suggest that one of your recommendations comes from a direct supervisor. Your recommender should provide specific observations and examples of your leadership, teamwork, analytical skills, and general likeability.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Recommendation Guidelines by School [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 01:26
Hi guys,

Carnegie Mellon Tepper

From its cheklist:

Quote:
Two letters of recommendation (.pdf). These evaluations must be completed by individuals who are able to provide specific and relevant information about your intellectual ability, performance, maturity, and motivation (in sealed and signed envelopes).

Attachments

Tepper_recommendation_form.pdf [83.99 KiB]
Downloaded 180 times

Re: Recommendation Guidelines by School   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2008, 01:26