Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

recommendation letter question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

recommendation letter question [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 11:54
If I apply for a B-school, do I need a recommendation letter which was distinctively written for that purpose (i.e. mentions things like "i would really recommend Mr.X for an MBA) or would a letter of recommendation from a former employer, which I received when I left the company, work as well?

I have a very positive letter of recommendation from my former employer, which I left about two years ago.

What do you think?

Thank you :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: recommendation letter question [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 11:59
Perhaps you could get the employer to modify it, specifically targeting an MBA this time? Assuming you still have a strong relationship with him/her after two years...

OBLITERATE THE GMAT!!!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: recommendation letter question [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 14:48
You will need to get them to redo it...sorry to say schools typically require stuff to be submitted online and also have checklists placing you in the top 5%, top 25%, 50%, bottom 10% etc...

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: recommendation letter question [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2008, 10:25
Additionally, a primer on the schools you are apply for, along with a bit about what you're hoping to do would be helpful to those writing the reco's as well.

There are a few templates floating around out there.

-zakk

Friend to hamsters, snowboard cruiser, first person ever to score a 12 on the GMAT, bad golfer, decent PR hack, all around nice guy.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: recommendation letter question [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2008, 10:36
Guys, actually is it a good idea to take a recommendation from my former supervisor at a company which I left two years ago? I am sure that I will get a great recommendation, but I worry that this reference might be too old already.

What do you think?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: recommendation letter question [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2008, 10:40
I might use it as a secondary reference--- the first from your current direct superior, the second from your old boss (the one you have a good letter from)
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: recommendation letter question [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2008, 16:27
In regards to recommendation letters, how important is the title of person writing the recommendation.

Vice President vs Director vs Managing Director... Do Bschools notice the difference?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: recommendation letter question [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2008, 16:30
bigfernhead wrote:
In regards to recommendation letters, how important is the title of person writing the recommendation.

Vice President vs Director vs Managing Director... Do Bschools notice the difference?

I really don't think that schools care about title unless its a glowing reference from an ultra big wig...if its just ho-hum from somebody important they will wonder why you didn't get somebody with a less impressive title who knows you better.
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: recommendation letter question [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2008, 16:47
wwww wrote:
Guys, actually is it a good idea to take a recommendation from my former supervisor at a company which I left two years ago? I am sure that I will get a great recommendation, but I worry that this reference might be too old already.

What do you think?

In general, it depends on your particular situation and on the specific school, but I think it's OK. However, I believe that the more recent second recommendation is advised in this case. Or, alternatively, if you continued to deal with your former supervisor in your professional quality, you may ask him to mention it. Also, I agree with others that you may need to adjust this recommendation: each school asks its own specific questions. So I think it will be an additional advantage if your former boss recommends you specifically for the MBA at the given school.
Re: recommendation letter question   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2008, 16:47